main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Valyn, Nov 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    game takes less then 10 hours mehhhhhhhh

2. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I'm only 10% complete--but only because my gameplay got put aside for studying. :(

Since you already beat the game, do you think it was worth buying?

3. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    my gameplay got put aside for studying.

What kind of silly trade off is that? 8-}

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Does anyone else think this game is like Zelda: Ocarina of Time meeting Enter the Matrix?

5. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I guess not :p

6. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    You don't need a GBA.

Here's how to do it in game:

Soon after you get your first new sword, you'll head into an ancient basement with a lot of open space. Near the end of that run, you'll find yourself at a switch that rotates. Rotating it ninety degrees will open the gate in front of you, but you can rotate it another ninety degrees. Hit the wall it'll point at three times to knock it down. That will officially unlock PoP1. At that point, you can continue through the now-open gate and play right away (you'll be prompted to save first, because you can't go back), or you could just continue on as normal and access the game from the main menu.

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Yeah, I just unlocked it today. And boy, does it suck.

8. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    You did NOT just diss Prince of Persia.

9. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Dude, in what year did this game come out? The gameplay is ridiculous. I thought it would be something like the old SNES Aladdin. Was I ever wrong.

10. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Ridiculous?

Dude. It's an awsome game. It's not an action game at all. It has some fights, but the game is a puzzle game through and through. Features cool animation and level design. And on top of that, you only have 60 or 90 minutes to complete the whole game.

This game defines great gameplay.

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Well, I tried it for about ten minutes and kept dying, so either it sucks, or I suck. :p

I got stuck near the beginning of the first level. To one side was a pit with spikes which I couldn't jump over. To the other side was a dude with a sword who I couldn't fight--as my character didn't have any weapons of his own.

12. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    You got to do the ol' run and jump for spikes. And you need to find the sword to fight, which you find on that level.

I love PoP. The best versions were the Apple and Sega CD PoP. They had great graphics.

The PC one... meh... played great but lackluster visuals.

13. darth_melvin

darth_melvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm in a quandary. $50 gift cert for EB Games and I can't figure out which to get (I have a GameCube, by the way):

Rebel Strike,
    Prince of Persia or
    Beyond Good and Evil.

My personal faves are Zelda, Metroid, Mario type games (i.e. "action adventure, quest-type") - but also a major Star Wars fan, so I usually get those. Normally I would just get Rebel Strike, since it's Star Wars and GC exclusive. But afraid it's not "quest-y" enough.

Has anyone played all three and like to make recommendation?

14. R2_Tech_Force_D2

R2_Tech_Force_D2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2003
    "I'm in a quandary. $50 gift cert for EB Games and I can't figure out which to get (I have a GameCube, by the way)"

Rebel Strike,
    Prince of Persia or
    Beyond Good and Evil.

I only own SW:Rebel Strike and Prince of Persia, but the reviews that i read on beyond good and evil where excellent. If i had to choose between RS and POP i would choose Prince of Persia, but you may want to get other peoples opinion if they have also played Beyond Good and Evil.

The fighting in POP is spectacular. Jumping head over heels over an enemy to strike at there back and unguarded side is spectacular. When you perform a move like this the camera sometimes shifts to a different view (such as an overhead view, then going back to normal after you deal the blow. Excellent!!

My only beef with it is some of the controls. Such as in the beginning of the game when you have to scale up the side of a large statue. You have to repeatedly hit the "A" button on the game cube to jump from wall to wall. For some reason this was hard for me the first time through, but once you get the han of the controls its pretty easy to use.

Some people had beefs with the camera. I didnt find this to be troubling at all.

Also the game is pretty short from what i hear. 10-14 hrs, but i cant comment on this because i have not finished it yet.

Enjoy :)

15. darth_melvin

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks for the input. Yeah - the short "quest time" is a bummer if true - 10-15 hours.

For comparison, what would Zelda be considered: 25-30 hours?

16. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    PoP: TSoT is sort of like Zelda. So if you're a Zelda fan (ie. if you like quests and adventures), then PoP is probably the game for you.

Since I hated Rogue Leader, I never even bothered looking at RS. I might rent it one day, though.

17. darth_melvin

Jun 18, 2002
    Yes, I do like the Zelda Quest-thing - so if POP has that kind of vibe I might go that direction. Just hate to miss out on the Star Wars fix.

Also, it seems that the Star Wars titles are dropping in price (from $50 to $20 or $30 - look at Bounty Hunter and Clone Wars from last fall) after they've been out a while. So maybe I'll pick up RS later next year.

(Rogue Leader was also not my all time favorite - just shooting things really. Really great graphics, and Star Wars-y - but pretty much just a thumb twitcher.)

18. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I hope there's another Star Fox came coming out :(

19. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    12-15 hours.... short?

Games don't all have to be 45 + hours.

I expect that lentgh for an RPG or RTS game...

But not for action games. If not... it would drag. They should be quick and not too long, for best replay value.

Short for this type of game.... that would be like 3 to 5 hours.

20. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I haven't had a chance to play in a couple of days. :(

21. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    How is this game so far. I have had a lot of interest in buying this game, but have yet to do so.

22. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    It's awsome. Great graphics, music, voice acting and story on top of just delightful gameplay. I'm 75 percent done ( at the prison level) and am having a blast.

Get it. You'll love it.

23. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    It's my favourite game of the year, I finished it last week and absolutely love it. The graphics are amazing, voice acting is superb, performance is good, everything about it is just right.

The game is amazing, great gameplay - it's a little frustrating at times, some of the battles are really relentless and you get the feeling the monsters don't stop coming. At one point I thought there was some trick to defeating an enemy, as it turns out, there wasn't - you just have to keep fighting until you win.

24. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    The battles some times got insane. Especially towards the end of the game where they not only seem to never stop coming but you can no longer vault over them cause they'll throw you down.

But in my opinion... the most annoying enemies are the friggin' birds. They always hit me. Can't kill them without taking damage.

But this game is awsome. Some of the trap layouts later on border on sadism. I mean, one trap had spikes, saw blades, pits and freaking knives moving left and right.... while timed!

Anyway.

Is it me, or does the prince's voice sound a lot like Ewan Mcgrego. It's almost uncanny.

25. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    GMR magazine gave this game an 8 or 8.5. They said that there was obvious effort put into it and that it seemed Disney-like in its fantasy appeal. It's pretty captivating and I love the dialogue...it really makes you believe that you're watching a Disney sort of movie sometimes.

Yeah, the fights are relentless. They were fun in the beginning but though I'm only at around 40%, I've already grown reluctant to engage in battle. Thankfully, I was able to run past my last wave of enemies and into a room--which I immediately closed the door to after entering. ;)

The only trick I've learned to use against enemies is to stab them with the dagger and freeze them. Freeze as many as you can and then slice them up with your sword.

I miss being able to vault over enemies. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.