main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Princess Leia Hoth & Bespin city costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Zam-the-Assasin, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Well, I dyed my fabric again. It is not true red. It is more on the deep, deep pink side of the spectrum. But considering the fact that I have brick red chiffon that is a little too dark red and not enough pink (for my tastes), I think the two will work well together. :D

In case someone wants to replicate the dye-ing process with the more correct instructions:
    I had 19.5mm silk charmeusse from Dharma trading company (55" wide). I dyed 6 yards of fabric.
    I had picked the Jaquard acid dye there called Vermillion. Buy the 8oz jar.
    The 6 yards were a little over a pound. 4oz of dye was recommended by the Dharma guy on the phone. <1 pound should use 2oz of dye. 1-2 pounds should use 4 oz., etc.

Instructions from the site with my editorials in []:
    These directions are for top loading washing machines only.

1. Set the washing machine to the hot wash/cool rinse and longest wash cycle. Fill water to the lowest level appropriate for the amount of fabric being dyed. [Dharma suggested getting the water as close to simmering as possible--like 180 degrees. I turned up my hot water heater as far as it would go a couple of hours before starting. I would also suggest boiling some water on the stove and pouring it into the machine while filling the machine and then adding another couple pots of boiling water about 1/2 way through. I was told that red takes better with VERY hot water.]

2. Get fabric wet then pull out and set aside. [I did this in cold water before starting the hot water filling cycle.]

3. Add dye powder and agitate until dissolved.

4. Add clean wet fiber and agitate for a few minutes.

5. Add one cup of vinegar being careful not to pour directly onto fabric. Let agitate a few more minutes. [I put the vinegar in before adding the fabric so that I would be sure not to get it on the fabric.]

6. Let machine run through cycle OR for maximum washfastness, stop and reset washer to maximum cycle length. Do not let the washing machine drain or start a new wash cycle. You just want to lengthen the time the fabric is in the dyebath. After resetting, let washer run through cycle.

7. Remove fabric from washing machine. To ensure that all of the excess dye has been removed, you may want to run the fabric through another wash cycle with cool water and some Synthrapol.

8. Run washer through a large rinse cycle to remove any excess dye in the washing machine. [I use about a cup of bleach in an empty wash cycle to rid the machine of the dye.]

I also pre-wash my fabric using the Synthrapol to get rid of excess oils and stuff that might interfere with the dye.

Hopefully that helps someone in the future so they don't have to go through the same process of following wrong instructions from the company. :rolleyes:

So aside from the dyeing, I was ironing my fabric today in preparation for cutting this weekend. And wow! *happy sigh* Silk feels wonderful. I know that satin and poly are easier to come by and sometimes are less expensive (but not always!). But I'm really going to feel like a princess in the silk. It is so delicate. [face_love]

Pics and such when I have more accomplished...

2. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Isn't silk wonderful? [face_love]

Glad to hear the dyeing went well, and can't wait to see the pics! :D

3. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    I love silk as well. I am working on the Bespin gown now. I will post progress pics soon but it wouldn't be until the end of the year for this one :)

4. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    We know that it is not exactly a "whip it up" type of costume, so take your time.

As for me, I've finished 2 of the triangles from the upper flowers down and one is complete as of tonight.
    I have the tunic mostly done. I am waiting to finish the pants and the belt to decide on where to hem the bottom of the tunic.
    The shoes are out to the dye-ing place.
    So I'm making progress--but not much of anything that would make a good pic.

5. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I can't wait to see the finished product, Kim! :D

6. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    yay! I look forward to seeing more progress! It's going to be absolutely beautiful when it's done! :D

7. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    looks up from sewing I have my pants together, my shoes ordered and my sleeves are being worked on right now. Putting a facing in the cuff so I can put the trim in. Pleased so far......just need to work faster! :p

8. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    A-D I really can't wait to see yours! :D I know it will look stunning! Are you going to wear it to Sydnova?

9. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Not going to Supanova LC :( Sorry! Can't afford both Melbourne and Sydney so have chosen Melbourne as its totally SW related and I have family there. I was born there and my daughter has never been there, so I figured it was a good chance. You are doing the same costume aren't you? Or have you done it? Pictures? :D

10. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    Bummer A-d!! But that's totally understandable, the Melbourne event sure does sound like fun! And it's always good to meet up with family :D Definitely a good chance to go. I can't wait to see the pictures!

I will be doing this costume, I have all the fabric, but unfortunately jsut not the time this year with all my uni commitments (final year with placement next semester eeeek!). But I'm very hopeful that I can start work on it when I graduate in November :D

11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    That explains why I've not seen any progress reports! :p

Hey, did you get the design for the cape by chance? [face_batting]:*

12. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    :oops: Ooooops! Silly me, I'd totally forgotten about it![face_blush]I just emailed it to you :D Hope it helps! :D

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Got it! Thank you! [face_love] [:D]

14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    The trim on this costume is often hard to find, but I was at my local spotlight store today and they had it in the 'Discontinued' basket and were selling it for $1 a metre. I am happy to get some for those who want some. Hope to get a picture of it up tonight, but its the same colour with a white edging to fix to the costume. Just PM me.

15. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Oops, got sidetracked and didnt get the picture up, but it is the bronze metallic trim. There is 20 metres left and they told me its a discontinued line.

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    WOOT!! I'm home alone here (Monday afternoon here in Australia) and I have just completed the fifth pattern on my cape! My right hand is aching, but I did it and it only took me about 55 hours!!! I have painted it with metallic paints but I think it looks pretty good. I plan to let it dry for a few hours then put the cape together and, OMG, I cannot believe it, but it will be FINISHED! I hope to get some photos up soon! I just had to tell someone I finished them!! :p

17. Kasey8473

Kasey8473 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    I can't wait to see your pictures, Adalia-Durron! =D=

18. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    [image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/_Master-Skywalker_/Costumes/ADLeiaBespin-1.jpg]

Thank you to Starfire and Master Skywalker for the art work. [face_love]

19. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    Wow!!! That looks amazing Tanya!! :D You've done a brilliant job, Definitely doesn't look like a paint job! :D Very beautiful! :D

20. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Thank you......over 50 hours of work in the painting, so takes just as long.....and the cramping you get in the hand as you have to hold the paint and squeeze it evenly.....can cause a bit of pain.....

21. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    Ah but so worth the results! :D

I'm going to be doing both (An embroidered overdress and a painted one to wear whilst I embroider) so I'll experience both!! :p *sigh* Seeing yours really makes me want to get started!!

22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    [image=http://www.starfirephoenix.net/gallery/main.php/d/960-1/IMGP2027.jpg]

Seems Starfire was inspired to do the painting too! :p

23. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    It turned out so well Addie ;)

24. jadedknights

jadedknights Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2002
    Wow. Everyone's gowns look so lovely. So much work done with love.

I was convinced by my hubby to do a more "girl" type costume for cons than my armor; I have been playing with the Bespin gown since Dragon Con 07. I've got mockups going on, and have captured stills and researched photos I could find. Thanks Padawan's Guide :) !

I can find pics with good embroidery of the bottom of the cape but none of the top of the pattern. Does anyone have a good photo of it? Or would some one be willing to share a pattern?
    I may be getting in deep, but it'll be worth it :)

Jen

25. fairyprincess

fairyprincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    I have PMed you!

Good luck with everything! This one is too on my to-do list!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.