main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Princess Leia (Marvel) #1, part 1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Jul 26, 2014.

1. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    http://www.starwars.com/databank/princess-leia-organa-biography-gallery]According[/url] to the first entry in her databank biography slideshow, Leia being adopted is common knowledge. So I would imagine that she asked about her parents at some point and Bail could have told her about Padme at least. That would be a pretty cool direction for the NEU to take and would make her going to Naboo even more interesting.

Cori and Iron_lord like this.
  2. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

But then, how can Vader not know? I mean, Bail adopts a daughter immediately after the ROTS shenanigans? and then said daughter grows up to look like Padme? [face_thinking]

It could be said that Vader has no business related to Bail, but Vader knows Bail and would become suspicious the moment he finds about his adopted daughter, popping out at that exact point in the timeline, no? Oh well, maybe the Galaxy is conveniently big for that specific case.[face_dunno]

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Or Sabé pretended to be real mother and raised her for a bit after the adoption, thus making that stupid TPM switcheroo thing helpful after all :p

4. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Vader was busy. He had the extermination of the Jedi to deal with, mourning his wife whom he loved obsessed over, getting used to life in his suit, mourning his genitals*, delving into the Dark Side, etc etc. Do you think he had time to check out the adoption pages in the Alderaanian Times?

*I'm just assuming everything is gone

BigAl6ft6 and cthugha like this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It didn't feel like ROTJ Ackbar, IMO. If anything, I believe the author used the Rebel Strike TV spots as their character study template for Ackbar. [face_laugh]

6. Rebel_Loyaltist

Rebel_Loyaltist Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2001
    I just want to say that of the three comics in circulation, this one is my favorite and I can't wait to see how it concludes.

That being said, something of interest to me in comic of the Rebel chain of command. First she ASKS Admiral Ackbar for an audience with General Dodonna and then she ASKS Dodonna for permission to be a part of this scouting mission for a new base. In Episode IV-VI it seem Leia had a much more prominent role, at least not to the point where a general could just dismiss her like that.

Also, has anyone bothered to translate the Aurbesh from the page where Leia and Evaan first alerted to Luke and Wedge pursuing? Or from the page where Leia and Dodonna argue about her going on a scouting mission?

LelalMekha likes this.
  7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I really enjoyed this and look forward to the next issue. But more than anything, I now want Mark Waid to write an Admiral Ackbar miniseries.

8. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Pursuit screen:

I've got a bad feeling about this

Gamiel and Rebel_Loyaltist like this.
  9. operative_lm

operative_lm Jedi Master

Jun 11, 2005
    Bounty hologram:
    Secret Alert
    High Command Only
    Leia Organa Traitor
    Bounty
    Dead
    High Command Only
    Secret Alert

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    [face_rofl]

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

There's been talk of extending it depending on sales...I don't know how solid that is, but...we'll see. That said, the Dodsons have a title from Image coming out soon so I doubt they'd continue to do the art here, and I'm surprised that while I didn't think it looked bad, it wasn't up to snuff with their normal output.

12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012

However, the official online Encyclopedia (the imlemdiate predecessor to the current Databank) did say that "Only Bail, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda knew that young Leia was the offspring of Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala." Although the Encyclopedia has been superceded by the Databank, it already was EU-free, so we can assume this is canon.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    With the "and" in there, it might be:

"Many people know she's the offspring of Padme"
    "Only those 3 know she's the offspring of Anakin and Padme".

14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012

There's also the matter of Padmé's appearance at the end of ROTS. Thank God, I'm not an expert in the field of dead pregnant women (that's a horrible thing to write), but she still appeared to be pregnant while in her casket, didn't she? In the Legends sources, it was stated (or so I seem to remember) that her corpse was doctored so she would still look pregnant, in hopes that no one suspected her child/children were born.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the ROTS novel, Yoda says "Still pregnant, she must appear" I think.

EDIT: - He did - at least approximately:

Around a conference table on Tantive TV, Bail Organa, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Yoda met to decide the fate of the galaxy.
    "To Naboo, send her body . . ." Yoda stretched his head high, as though tasting a current in the Force. "Pregnant, she must still appear. Hidden, safe, the children must be kept. Foundation of the new Jedi Order, they will be."

I remember reading that, in real life, pregnant women still have quite a big bulge after birth - it takes a while (days?) for it to go down - so not much doctoring was needed.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Either that or they'd have to employ a droid turkey stuffer. Yeck.

"Why does the Senator's corpse smell like breadcrumbs and onions?"

17. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Ugh. Twisted, but funny.

The_Forgotten_Jedi and Gamiel like this.
  18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I was just reading the first issue this morning and and the very first thing that came to mind was wondering when you found the time to sneak off to write a comic. :p

I actually found this to be substantially better than either of the Vader issues so far: certainly the best of the new comics, and probably the novels, too. It's really the first product I've seen since we started over that I felt was actually doing something fresh and interesting with a main character.

cubman987 likes this.
  19. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000

Well, durning the ceremony Dodonna says "all the Rebel fleets have arrived[past tense]" so I'm guessing your assumption is right. I don't think we're going to get more information than that, but that seems like a line put in because it's bugged someone like it bugged you.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Bonus : There might be leftovers.

21. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  22. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I always figured the Rebels simply had more pilots than they had fighters. But yeah, it's totally possible those additional pilots and fighters were brought in by the fleet.

23. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000

If they had more pilots than fighters Luke wouldn't have flown. Biggs recommendation aside, with the Rebellion at risk they'd want a known quantity up there, not the kid fresh off the moisture truck.

24. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Don't forget, it might not have been just Biggs' recommendation. Red Leader was well aware of Luke based on his father's reputation. (Although now that I write that I don't know if that line made it back into the movie or not. There's definitely a bit in the novelization about Red Leader knowing Luke's father, though.)

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The "knew your father" line was deleted when the scene was added back into the SE. A Rebel tech was added walking across the screen to function as a cover for the mid-scene edit. If you look in the background Artoo is being raised into the X-Wing and his altitude jumps a couple feet instantly during the "tech wipe".