main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Princess Leia (Marvel) #1, part 1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Jul 26, 2014.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    In Legends, Garvin Dreis still knew Anakin Skywalker, thanks to Abel Peña's Vader Tech (they flew together during the Battle of Virujansi). But, well... this is only Legends.

Force Smuggler and Iron_lord like this.
  2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    In all fairness, Leia and her father have always been, in tv tropes terms, Modest Royalty, given that they wear clothes that are the very definition of simple but elegant, are committed to democracy specifically rather than rebelling to protect their local rights (which bugs me about a lot of Alderaan depictions - the place should be a constitutional monarchy, yet we rarely see anything outside the royal family*), and all seem to have jobs besides being royal (Bail even goes by his senatorial title more often than his royal one).

So it makes sense to me that Leia wouldn't make a big deal of it in most circumstances.

*Not to mention that if it is widely known that Leia is adopted and she is still accepted as a princess, then Alderaanians aren't bloodline fanatics, yet some stories do go with a lot of royal cliches that don't really seem to fit with the place's general portrayal.

King of Alsakan and Iron_lord like this.
  3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    The Alderaan EU situation is rather puzzling to me as well, in that we didn't get to seemingly see much of the democratic side of things. Since its founding, SWTOR pretty much cemented it as a government ruled my a strong monarch that was elected by an assembly of nobles who were either hereditary or got there on the merit of their accomplishments. I would have imagined by the time of the Clone Wars and beyond, Alderaan would sound more like the description given for Xyquine II in the Corellian Sector sourcebook. A mixed government with a strong hereditary monarch and a strong democratic parliament.

Not that I am complaining, the more constitutional monarchies and aristocracies the better ;)

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You do remember that TOR take place over a millennia before the movies-era right?

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Three and a half millennia.

6. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Whaddya know? That was the best issue of new Marvel SW yet! Very surprised. I'm not sure if I "buy" the story line but the writing was better than the other two titles and the art was refreshingly different from other SW titles. Really liked the new take on Ackbar, too. Looking forward to #2 :)

7. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

I do, and that's what I was trying to say. We have one depiction where it looks like there is not a ton of democratic influence other than maybe electing a monarch. Then even as we move into the era closer to the OT it sounds as if there is a larger democratic influence, but we do not really get to see it. As pointed out above, we only really see the royal side of things.

None the less still excited to read this comic, should pick it up this weekend.

8. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    With Leia going to Naboo maybe it will be explained how she still remembers her real mother as she told Luke in Jedi.

9. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    To be honest, I had the lowest expectations for the Leia series. BUT, I found that I enjoyed it the most out of Marvel's current "3."

The writing was excellent, IMO. The art was "meh," but it didn't take away from the story for me. I'm excited for #2!

cubman987 likes this.
  10. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005

11. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    This is the one I was most looking forward to and I'm not disappointed. The story looks like it's going in a good direction. Evaan seems like an interesting character. And Ackbar, Dodonna and Wedge, oh my. Mark Waid knows the way to my heart.

The art is just lovely, best of the bunch so far, IMO. I can't wait for more. And I, for one, hope for more Dodson art in the future.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So Evaan, the blond pilot. She was mentored by Queen Organa and pledged herself to Leia after the destruction of Alderaan. I don't care what the writers say, she sounds like Winter-Lite to me.

Madsci73915 likes this.
  13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Just finished this a bit ago and I'm pretty sure Evaan is Mark Waid trolling Jello personally.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  15. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Hmm it is an interesting take on Leia's character. She is one of the few characters in modern literature who is a proud royal and even touts the fact that she desires to rule when she says makes that little comment about "ruling over no one". She was trained from birth to believe she has all the answers and isn't ashamed to say so. While I don't agree with such thinking, I find including such a character in the mix to be interesting.

Also liked:

No Dodonna in prison.

Immediate evacuation of Yavin. No more of that six months silliness. .

Part I thought interesting: Ackbar on Yavin. Okay.

I too thought of Jello when I read this comic.

16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Cranky Ackbar even.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    He had just returned from brunch with Mon Mothma. That explains everything- up to and including his mocking of human physiology.

18. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    "Being cursed with Human hands is no excuse for clumsiness! Children. You're all children."

Ha ha ha ha! Speciesism is so funny!

Wait... it's not.

darthcaedus1138 and Iron_lord like this.
  19. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    Almost fell off my bed when I read Naboo. I wanted this so badly.

darklordoftech, Taalcon and CooperTFN like this.
  20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Die-hard royalist, yet still a rebel.

You would think that--I bet you can only look at one thing at a time. Without fish eyes you'll never achieve perfection.

21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Guys, Ackbar is a sailor. Sailors always talk in insulting terms. Kinda their birthright. :p

It is great how they juxtapose cranky Ackbar and caring Ackbar in that scene. He cares for Leia, laments the loss of Alderaan, and yells at clumsy Rebel soldiers at the same time.

One eye on Leia, one on the soldiers. Mon Cals 1, humans 0. ;)

--Adm. Nick

22. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Talking about speciesism, I wonder if Canon Leia still has something against Zeltrons.

23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    And Wookiees. Don't forget "walking carpet" comments. :p

--Adm. Nick

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I hope so, beacons that means we have zeltrons in the NEU. Hopefully as extremely 80’s as they were in the original stories.

25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    It would be even funnier nowadays!

Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.