main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Princess Leia (Marvel) #1, part 1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Jul 26, 2014.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    They should make it a one-page backup feature in every issue, like they have in Archie comics.

"Grumpy Admiral Ackbar in: Move Those Crates!"

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "Your ears can't take profanity of this magnitude!"

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh my god, it could be like Nextwave and it would be spectacular.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I think AdmiralNick22 would have to change his name to Admiral#$%&ingNick22 if that happens.

5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
  6. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Hell, just give Ackbar his own film.

I thought #1 was pretty fun. My least favourite of the three series' so far but hey, it's only one issue in.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Where he receives promotions by detecting traps. ;)

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No, he just keeps his subordinates in line by quoting Ackbar 25:17 at them!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Ahhh! There's finally our Warren Ellis Star Wars comic. Warren Ellis in full-on Nextwave meta insanity mode for Ackbar's origin story. Want, want, want.

Honestly, it seems a lot of the new canon materiel is going to stick rather closely to what we've seen, which is cool because it works. But I totally wouldn't mind if a few things are broken and put together in a weird way. Angry, snarky Ackbar I think would and should totally be a thing. The poor guy to the larger world is kind of the "It's a Trap!" punchline so turn it around and make him, like, a hardass. Like in the EU he was basically the "noble warrior" (to overcompensate for "It's a trap!") so I'm saying in the new canon basically make him, like, a jerk.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The more I think about that the more I want literal Star Wars Nextwave. Leia as Elsa Bloodstone, Han as Captain &%$@*, Ackbar as Dirk Anger, and Waru as Devil Dinosaur. It could be like Yavin Vassilika but actually entertaining.

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

[​IMG]

Darth_Duck likes this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It is always refreshing when characters are multidimensional. Ackbar is a noble warrior, a mentor, a hardass commander, and a many other things. That is good character development. One dimensional characters are boring. Ackbar is one of those movie characters who has been developed over the years, plus it is fun to see a younger Ackbar.

In the case of this particular issue, when you consider the immense responsibility on Ackbar's shoulders, an outburst like this is perfectly in character. His entire fleet is in orbit, sitting vulnerable in the event of a counterattack by the Empire. And he needs to evacuate the base ASAP to minimize this risk. As far as I am concerned, Ackbar shines in this issue.

--Adm. Nick

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Including a jerk! ;)

14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Most great Warlords are, comes with the job.

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Pfft, pales in comparison to the Rebel Jerk-in-Chief, Leia. :p

--Adm. Nick

16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I just got my copy today. It was quite good, and yes grumpy Ackbar is awesomely hilarious.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ackbar: warrior, mentor, lover. Just ask Winter.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    For that comment, I hope Naboo is a Rebel stronghold. :p

--Adm. Nick

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know why you hate true love. Don't you want Ackbar to be happy?

And leave poor Naboo alone! That's the Emperor's homeworld you're besmirching.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. PaulCarney

PaulCarney Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2013
    I certainly hope they don't go out of their way to retcon stuff that wasn't inconsistant in the first place. The ending of ROTS doesn't cause any of the incosistencies people keep complaining about.

Luke: Leia, do you remember your mother? Your real mother?
    Leia: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.
    Luke: What do you remember?
    Leia: Just images really. Feelings.

On the contrary, it supports the events from ROTS. Padme DID die when Leia was very young and she is very specific that her "memories" are really just "IMAGES" and "FEELINGS". It's just an indicator of her force sensitivity. It makes perfect sense and should be left alone.

21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd love if Moff Panaka gives tours of where Cosinga lived.

Cori, DelRiego and The_Forgotten_Jedi like this.
  22. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I thought it was pretty good. I liked the new character Evaan. I think one of the things Wood got fundamentally wrong about his run was Leia. He didn't know how to write her at all nor understood her position in the rebellion. He tried to turn her into some sort of exaggerated action version of herself.

Waid has much firmer grasp of her character and deals with a major point of her backstory. In fact, he weaves an entire arc to address it. Although, I'm not sure where they are going with the whole Naboo stuff.

Revanfan1 and Darth_Duck like this.
  23. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    This was a fun first issue. I think Leia is handled very well and I'm already beginning to like Evaan. I thought Leia was reacting believably and I liked how she escaped the base to help surviving Alderaanians. Honestly I felt that everything about her characterization was great. I enjoyed watching the evacuation and seeing how the Alliance was reacting. Oh and I loved Ackbar in this, I liked how his tone changed from interacting with Leia and when he talked to Rebel soldiers. It was a fun juxtaposition. I'm looking forward to seeing where this series goes. This may actually be my favorite Marvel series so far, not that I didn't like the others a lot.

24. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I didn't read through 16 pages of comments, but it seems like most everyone likes it.
    Did anyone not like it?

I found the art to be too soft, and everyone's faces to be rounded.
    Evaan did too fast of a switch for me. First she's beyond irate with Leia and then she's helping her escape. The dialogue just seemed unreal.
    What was also a bit OOC was when Luke was talking to Leia. "I lay my head on your shoulder and I liked it." Even for Luke that is a ridiculous statement. It would definitely not have been said like that. I had to roll my eyes.

The story overall was a good one, but that was pretty much the redeeming quality. I had to give it a 2/5 stars. It's probably more like a 2.5/5 but to me, that's about it.