main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia What?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by bountyhuntr, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bountyhuntr

bountyhuntr Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2003
    If Leia is Anakin's daughter, how does her last name come to be Organa? Shouldn't it be Skywalker? And who was that guy who was so-called my father? The guy on Yavin 4. That's not him as we all know.

2. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    I believe Bail Organa adopted Leia when Amidala fleed Vader and hid in Alderaan ... hence, she got his last name. :)

Aunecah

3. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    The guy in Yavin is called General Jan Dodonna, her aa Rebel officer, not Leia's father. :D

4. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Oh yea keeping her last name Skywalker would be the best way to keep her hidden from Vader and Palpatine. Hey everyone look is Princess Leia Skywalker.

Vader thinking::::: Leia Skywalker hmmm she does look like someone I once knew....Dam!!!that Nabooian bleep bleep she lied to me::::

5. FogeyKenobi

FogeyKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2003
    Well Luke's name wasn't changed. I think Leia was hidden more discreetly on purpose. I'm sure we'll learn more of the reasoning in EPIII.

6. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, Luke *was* confined to Tatooine, and I'm sure Obi-Wan knew that Vader probably won't set a foot there.

*Shrugs*

Aunecah

7. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    If she was hanging out on Alderaan as a Princess but she didn't have the same name as Bail people would suspect soemthing.

8. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Personally, I think Luke kept his last name as bait for Vader. :p

9. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Or maybe Amidala wanted Luke to keep the Skywalker name to remind Anakin - or rather Vader - of what he used to be ... maybe she is Force-sensitive, herself, and knew of Vader and Luke's eventual battle....

Aunecah

10. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Well, yeah, there is that possibility.

:p

Actually, that sounds like a good reason.

11. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    More likely it is that Leia's adopted father was a member of the Galactic Senate and because of having such a prominent role in the government, they couldn't possibly have her name be Skywalker. Luke, on the other hand, probably was hidden on Tatooine with the knowledge that Anakin/Vader would never go back there. Therefore there was no reason for him to change his name.

12. SECRETSISTER

SECRETSISTER Jedi Master star 8

Nov 18, 2001
    I think, along with Corran in I, Jedi that Yoda and Obi Wan deliberately left Luke with his last name (and Obi Wan stayed to moniter him) so that when he began to grow in the Force, they could train him, put him in a position to be noticed, and lure the Emperor - through Vader- to his ultimate defeat. I also think they kept Leia hidden as a secret back-up.

13. Force_Of_Others

Force_Of_Others Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2002
    SECRETSISTER-

Exactly! Lucas has said that Obi-Wan was waiting on Tatooine because he new Luke would turn his father back to the Light side.
    I think it may be part of the prophecy!

14. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    She can't disown genes! LOL......

[image=http://www.fanhost.org/hchristensen/gallery.asp?picview=hg6.jpg&cat=misc]

[image=http://hanandleia.homestead.com/files/leia17.jpg]

15. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    *sighs* I can't seem to post this pic.

Here's a link

Don't tell me that's not good casting.

16. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Leia's title comes from her being part of the Royal Family of Alderaan, not the offspring of the monarch of Naboo. Bail Organa is more than just a Senator; he's also the Viceroy and First Chairman of the Royal House of Alderaan. His children would therefore be royal too--even the adopted ones. It has yet to be revealed whether the offspring of Naboo royalty are afforded similar status--it's quite possible that they're not, since Naboo elects their royalty, and that royalty has term limits. Padmé, after all, was not Queen when she gave birth to the twins.

Answers from issue #61

She got the title from her adopted father and she also took his last name for protection reasons.

17. V Wing Fighter Pilot

V Wing Fighter Pilot Jedi Master star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Bail: I shall take the girl, and hide her on Alderaan.

Ben: Bail, thank you, remember that no one may know of her lineage. Trust no one.

Agent Mulder: Hey! That's my line

Ben slices Mulder in two

Ben: Anyway, best of luck old friend.

Bail: Thank you.

Ben: Oh, and dont forget to change her name...

Bail Really? You think so? Jeez... Im glad you said something. That wouldn't have lasted too long now would it if if kept her name Skywalker?

:D

18. Luke_Skywalker_12

Luke_Skywalker_12 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    Bail Organa takes care of Leia when she was a young one. When Bail heard of Anakin turning into the darkside, he changed Leia's last name to his,just to forget all about the Skywalker's because of what the terrible mistake Anakin had did. Like that, no one else remembered about the Skywalker's ountil Luke came up.

I think that this is a good explanation why Leia doesn't have Skywalker behind her :)

19. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Leia took the name Organa because she was formally adopted by Viceroy Bail Organa and became a part of the Royal House of Alderaan.

There is a number of reasons this happened:

1.) Protection. By having her name changed and becoming the adoptive child of Bail Organa she would not be noted as a Skywalker. Since it is assumed that Darth Vader (Anakin) did not know he had a daughter, having her name be Skywalker would most definately alert him to the fact.

2.) Publicity. It is wide-known fact to the older population of the galaxy that Anakin "Skywalker" became Darth Vader and helped in the establishment of the Empire. Should Leia carry the name Skywalker, not only would the Royal House of Alderaan be tainted, but the Senate itself may tend to be prejudice.

3.) Insurance. If Leia did any extensive background check on the name "Skywalker" (considering rudimentary searches including such information would most likely have been erased by Vader himself), she would find out about her true parentage. This would provide a chance for her to follow in her father's footsteps, thus eliminating and actually enhancing the adversity against the "New Hope".

Luke's name did not change because he lived on a backwater planet which in itself had little to no publicity. Keeping his name also kept him linked to his aunt and uncle, the Lars'.

;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

20. Darth_Phoenix252

Darth_Phoenix252 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2003
    I think Luke's name was kept as Skywalker so he could have that connection to his father, and so he could be more open to Obi's plan for him to become a Jedi and go against the emperor and Vader. Leia was either desperate plan B or never a part of the plans to go against Vader.She didnt have to have any ties to her lineage. Her name was changed mainly for protection and to agree with her adoptive father's name.

21. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    "Publicity. It is wide-known fact to the older population of the galaxy that Anakin "Skywalker" became Darth Vader and helped in the establishment of the Empire. Should Leia carry the name Skywalker, not only would the Royal House of Alderaan be tainted, but the Senate itself may tend to be prejudice."

No, it isn't. Vader's identity was known only to a few people. To the people of the galaxy Anakin Skywalker was just another Jedi killed during the purge. People knew Vader was a Jedi who changed sides and went to work for the Empire, but it's extremly unlikely that they would know he was once Anakin Skywalker.

22. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    I don't think Anakin Skywalker being Darth Vader would be widely known, in fact outside the Jedi Order Anakin may not have been well known at all.

Having Leia in such a public position as an Alderaan princess and being named Leia Skywalker would have been just a tad obvious to the Emperor and Vader. Leia was adopted by Bail Organa and took on his family name.

Luke probably had less chance of being discovered by the Empire on such an insignificant, out of the way planet. Plus he was being watched over by Obi-Wan Kenobi. I doubt Vader would have journeyed there to look for him.

Anyway, Vader hated sand.

23. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    For her protection, Padme was adopted into another family and her name changed, so her daughter carried her adopted family's name.

24. alhana_antilles

alhana_antilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    Anyway, Vader hated sand.

Good point. 8-}

25. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    vader hated tatooine, it reminded him of his old life

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.