main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

privacy of email info is needed...

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by JEDIMASTER6872, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDIMASTER6872

JEDIMASTER6872 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2004
    today alot of us got an email in reguards to joining a collectiables club ...
    they obviously got our emails off this site.. and I think we need to have our emails only available to CR and select others.. is it possible to do this ???

below is the email I got...
    subject matter and source : Darth Sidious The Star Wars Collectors Group

Hi, I'd like to invite you to come visit The Star Wars Collectors Group at XXXXXXX. We have Forums, an Image Gallery, Blogs, a Chat Room, Area Store Reports and much more. We'd love to have you as a member.

is there away for us to privatize our contact info to members only ??? so we dont start getting spam mailed ??

Edit: just deleted my public email info ... others may want to also ... emails can be sent to toehrs by PM so we dont have group getting viruses or such in spam mail...

2. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    I got that same email yesterday Justin. I'll head over to the admin boards and ask if there is any way to make our contact info visable to members only. For now, I'd recommend to anyone that doesn't want to receive future email such as this to remove your email address from you personal info/bio page.

UPDATE: Alright, I jumped over to the admin boards and didn't find any one else reporting this yet. What I did do is report the situation to Meriwyn. As soon as I hear back from her, I'll let you guys know.

3. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm guessing the emailer actually got our contact info from the membership list of the Yahoo Group, not this board, since I removed my email address from public view here a while ago. The emailer was seeking members to his Yahoo Group. Since she's still listed as the Boston Rebels group's owner, I'd ask Rosie about it.

4. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Since I already have anemail in to Rosie regarding some other board business, I'll wait until I hear back from her until I question her about the BR Yahoo! Group.

5. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    It sounds like he got the info from the Yahoo message group. I got a similar email but it was for another Star Wars club, and it was from another Yahoo list I belong to. If you are concerned, you can make your emails private on the forums so that no one can view them. Hope this helps. That Yahoo spam happens all the time though.

6. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    He must have signed on with tF.n and the Yahoo group because I'm not on the Yahoo group and I still got one of those e-mails. I'm just going to switch my e-mail to private. DAMN SPAMMERS :mad:!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.