main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Pro Wrestling Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by wild_karrde, Jul 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Scripted is not the same as fake. Fake implies what you see is not real, wrestlers don't have stunt doubles.

Anyway, I'd personally rather watch guys beating each other senseless with weapons (seems rarely to hapen these days, but youtube reminds me), jumping from huge heights, doing outrageous moves & having crazy ring entrances than a bunch of guys hugging and rolling around (which is what most MMA fights I've ever seen amount to).
    Same with boxing (which we all know has been rigged before), I don't doubt either of those are legit sports but they are nowhere near as entertaining as pro-wrestling is.

When did you see an MMA guy throw an opponent off a cage through a table, or fight in a ring surrounded by fire, or even slam a guy 2X his own weight or more?

Just sayin'

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    To be fair, I do like MMA (especially UFC), but there's still nothing like the theatrics of pro wrestling when done right. Unfortunately Vince is once again doing everything wrong these days.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Still better than TNA :p

And no-one in MMA would enter an arena like this

Because they just aren't awesome enough

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Apparently you've never watched Pride.

Scripted, i.e. the entire scenario that these guys are fighting it out and have legit beefs is the very definition of fake. It's artifice. You split hairs when you suggest that WWE is somehow not fake because they are actually doing what they are doing... they aren't actually fighting with intent to hurt and win.

Never the less, you've decided to instead focus on semantical BS about "fake" versus "scripted" instead of answering the question as to why this thread lumps UFC in with WWE. Makes no sense.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes which is why the MMA thread is elsewhere (as I believe you found). It's a fair point and I will edit the title. I think it's a holdover from when this was a JCC thread.

Darth McClain likes this.
  6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    UFC & wrestling are only different in that one is scripted and one is not, aside from that they are much the same in style (guys fight in a ring of some kind, use grapple moves to make the other submit etc)

Both are entertainment, but one is legit and the other is not.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    If Punk drops the title to Dwayne I will be very angry.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Agreed. But that was one hell of a promo duel.

9. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    From Punk, yes.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Rock's schtick is a bit tired, true, but other than Flair (who wasn't given nearly enough time for a proper promo duel with Punk), Rock's the best promo dance partner Punk's ever had.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Rock can still be funny, and he still sounds natural unlike many.

13. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    Rock is too easy for Punk. It's half of an interesting duel. I'd rather see punk play dueling mics with William Regal or Dean Ambrose or somebody else that's way more interesting than the Rock.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    He had one, WWE just didn't give Flair nearly enough time to prove why he's the best at it.

Personally I'm still holding out slim hope for Punk/Austin. That would be epic.

15. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd prefer someone that can still wrestle.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well then we're stuck with Rock and perhaps after WM, Cena once again for the time being.

I'm still of the opinion that, despite the fact that Punk enjoys being a heel, that WWE turned the one person in the Punk/Cena feud heel.

17. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    Well there wasn't really a Punk /Cena feud. Cena could use a heel turn to freshen up his character. And you'll never get me to complain about Punk being a heel. A Punk Cena feud with both being heels could be fun.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Austin doesn't have much better material then The Rock, he'd probably just call Punk a SOB and use his usual catchphrases.

Rock at least is better in the ring, he looks in better shape than when he left. Plus he gets reaction unlike anyone, his music merely has to come on and the atmosphere in an arena is totally different and much more alive. Rock brings ratings, Punk as a heel can lead to a switch off especially from kids (adults love his stuff of course) which Rock fixes and doesn't have the problems Cena does.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Mick Foley's the first name that will be in inducted into the 2013 WWE HOF

20. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    Why was Edge in the HOF before him?

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    You know what? Your guess is as good as mine.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Mick should have been in it years ago, maybe going to TNA delayed that.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, it very likely did. I consider this annoucement (which I fully expect to be on - air Monday during RAW's 20th anniversary show), to be the unoffical kick off/countdown to WrestleMania.

24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    http://www.pwinsider.com/article/74559/el-genericowwe-signing-update.html?p=1

I normally wouldn't pay attention to news like this (since I haven't watched the WWE on a regular basis since 2003), but this is major news out here in Southern California (and throughout the rest of the independent wrestling), since Generico has been such a fixture & success for Pro Wrestling Guerrilla... so potentially his last show for PWG will be tonight, and I'm (along with a dear friend, one who introduced me to PWG) completely excited & stoked about this. I've been going to PWG shows* since August of 2011, and have grown quite fond of their talent & the electricity/excitement of the crowds each time I'm at a show.

*Their shows are held at an American Legion Hall here in Reseda, California... a mere 15-20 minute walk from my town home. :D

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah supposedly before word got out that it was WWE he signed with, the thought was that he was going to TNA.

26. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    I fear the WWE signed him to keep him from TNA. Generico's moves and appeal doesn't fit with the WWE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.