main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Pro Wrestling Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by wild_karrde, Jul 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    That must be why they are removing each copy of his speech from Youtube. I watched a good portion but not all as many were removed.

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    If you need help finding it give me a shout, but you should be able to work out how to watch wrestling on the net. ;)

3. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    RIP Warrior...Must have got to pumped up due to the Wrestle Mania Weekend!

4. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

I always thought the cocaine part was just some silly joke out his character. Call me stupid but warrior never seemed to me anyways to abuse his steroid use. We'll see what the autopsy say

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    IIRC, I think Warrior's admitted his 80's drug use in a shoot interview somewhere. If he's been clean for a good long while, you likely won't find any evidence of cocaine in a toxicology report, but they'll likely find clear evidence for the sudden heart attack that probably killed him.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The stories that I hear, and mind you they are stories in some cases, was that a lot of wrestlers did use cocaine in the 80's. I know that many wrestlers today talk about how exhausting it is being on the road like that. Edge said as much in his farewell speech a few years ago. That he'd go from the Pay Per View on Sunday to Monday Night Raw and he'd be exhausted from the traveling to get to the next location and not having enough sleep. Then he'd get himself ready for when it was time to come out and he'd be wide awake and energized. So even today, it can be tiring being on the road. Last season on "Total Divas", you can tell Daniel Bryan was exhausted after being on the road for a few days, doing live shows and promotional work for when he was in the main event against Randy Orton.

Then there's the fact that a number of NBA players were known for cocaine use in the 70's, for pretty much the same reasons.

7. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah Warrior admitted in a shoot round 2008, that he took steroids. He did claim that the last he took them was in 91. In 92 I heard he and the British bulldog were fired because of their steroid use.

darth-sinister yeah I heard most of them took cocaine. I know Hogan was a popular person that springs to mind (Warrior and others accused him of it). Scott Hall also admitted to taking cocaine with hbk while on the road. And yeah it is very tough on the road, triple h said he use to get most of the time 5 hour sleep. Its crazy how they can fit house shows, pay per views, raws, publicity shows and the gym at the same time

8. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah Warrior admitted in a shoot round 2008, that he took steroids. He did claim that the last he took them was in 91. In 92 I heard he and the British bulldog were fired because of their steroid use.

darth-sinister yeah I heard most of them took cocaine. I know Hogan was a popular person that springs to mind (Warrior and others accused him of it). Scott Hall also admitted to taking cocaine with hbk while on the road. And yeah it is very tough on the road, triple h said he use to get most of the time 5 hour sleep. Its crazy how they can fit house shows, pay per views, raws, publicity shows and the gym at the same time

9. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013

Edit: apologies for the triple post, laptop was playing up

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
  11. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    As plenty of journo types have been pointing out, whoever beat the streak would get more than heat, they'd get genuine career-destroying resentment... Better for a 'part timer' to get that than someone they'd invested a lot more time and money into.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Bleacher Report has an article about the streak ending being Vince's call and not Undertaker's. Seems odd, Vince is known as a huge Undertaker mark and if the Deadman was not happy to lose I doubt Vince would have pushed for it too much.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...to-end-the-undertakers-streak-at-wrestlemania

Also, if it was known this was going to be Undertaker's last match they should have selected an opponent worthy of ending the Streak who could have benefitted from it. Someone such as Cesaro for example, rather than Brock who barely competes and isn't even that big on the industry.

13. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    That article, reading between the lines, merely complains that the loss wasn't more clearly signposted and predictable.
    [face_dunno]

14. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I still say Sting vs Taker will probably be the last match. Taking place next year at Mania 31.

15. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Possibly. They could work the retirement angle for a year or two with 'Taker... They'll both be in their 50s though, with both of them looking to retire... I'd expect a Lesnar rematch next year, which would push Sting back another year making him, what, 57?

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm not a fan of doing matches just for fan service or nostalgia. If the competitors are too old for it to be as good as it should be, don't do it.

Frank T. likes this.
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I still trust the more full - time wrestling sites (like PWI and WrestlingObserver) on this being 'Taker's call and 'Taker's choice of opponent in this case. I'm not saying Blecher can't do good reporting, but I think sometimes it likes to stir **** up, particularly when it comes to wrestling.

Edit: That's not to say the way the match was constructed could have very well been a Vince call, but I'm of the opinion that if Vince had total say in who and when the streak ended, I'm throughly convinced we'd have likely have seen Cena (who I can completely see Vince wanting to hand The Streak too), rather than Lesnar.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There was a hint that the streak could end, when the video package from a while back mentioned that Taker was getting old and too beat up to defend it like he used to. So it wasn't nearly as out of nowhere. If it had been too telegraphed, then the result wouldn't have worked.

V-2 likes this.
  19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Heyman was talking about revenge against Undertaker for beating CM Punk when Raw was in Chicago, who knows how far back plans went.

I get Taker thinks highly of Brock, after all he's a legit fighter and he's tough. But it does seem an odd decision given Brock's current status. I hope he also took advise before making the decision, I know Paul Bearer is no longer around but I doubt he'd have thought highly of this decision and I'm not sure Kane would either (although he was offered it years back and turned it down himself).

20. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Taker was the most dominant force and intimidating figure for over 20 years. Brock seems to be the best to fill that role.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Lesnar was used well before he originally left. The problem with Lesnar is meta. He left the WWE because he said he wanted real competition, his opinion of it all was not good. He tried for a football team, and though he was good for a bit he could not last in the UFC. He is only back as he seemed ot be out of options, or at least that is how it is viewed. He is, simply put, not over with fans.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    He's also not as good as when he was first in WWE. Here was a guy built like Bobby Lashley but with the ring ability of Kurt Angle. Now he's mostly a brawler who lost to Cena & HHH recently, yet apparently can beat the unbeatable (someone who HHH lost to 3 times at Mania).
    Brock doesn't matter now & he doesn't seem to care much either

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    WWE is apparently going to turn the whole of next Monday's RAW into a tribute show for Warrior. (courtesy of WrestlingObserver.com)

Edit: And yes, they did edit Cena's SMACKDOWN promo.

DarthTunick likes this.
  24. AstroFan428

AstroFan428 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    It's sad that UW died and all, but if they go crazy with a tribute show after a super hot Mania and Raw I will be hugely disappointed.

25. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    They can still do a tribute show and still build towards Extreme Rules. If the tribute show has the same energy Warrior had every time he ran to the ring then it will be one of the most explosive RAWs in a long time.

26. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, this. There's a number of ways to do the tribute show and not have things towards the PPV grind to a halt for one night.

27. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.