main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Problem with image at the end of TESB

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by -Emperor_Palpatine-, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Emperor_Palpatine-

-Emperor_Palpatine- Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2003
    If that is the GFFA at the end of TESB, it is impossible, because at that distance, the fleet would be at a million light-years away from it, impossible...

2. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    That shot has always confused me as well. They look like they are a long way away. But according to the galaxy map I have, they would be close to Tatooine.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    That's not a galaxy; it's a nebula of some kind; it might even be the Rishi Maze.

4. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    I always thought it was another, more distant galaxy, but I like Bib Fortuna, Twi'lek's theory

5. jedi_quinn

jedi_quinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I always saw it as the creation of a new star and planetary system. Or is that what a nebula is?

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    It looks like a solar nebula.

7. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I thought of that as well, but hey Star Wars takes place in a galaxy far, far away. Much different from the galaxy we live in.

8. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Are you guys sure it isn't the Mutara Nebula? ;)

9. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    The script calls it "the galaxy"

From the ESB Script:
    Luke wriggles his fingers, makes a fist, and relaxes it.
    His hand is completely functional.
    He gets up and walks over to Leia. There is a new bond
    between them, a new understanding. Leia is thinking about Han;
    Luke is thinking about his uncertain and newly complicated
    future. Together they stand at the large window of the medical
    center looking out on the Rebel Star Cruiser and a dense,
    luminous galaxy swirling in space. Luke puts his arm around
    Leia. The droids stand next to them, and Threepio moves closer
    to Artoo putting his arm on him. The group watches as the
    Millennium Falcon moves into view, makes a turn, and zooms
    away into space.

10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    So it´s a galaxy, but it isn´t necessarily the galaxy they´re living in.

BTW:

"Threepio moves closer
    to Artoo putting his arm on him."

That sounds.... I don´t know what to say.... 8-}

11. -Emperor_Palpatine-

-Emperor_Palpatine- Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2003
    I is logical that they would be looking to THEIR galaxy. I pretty much think that this is part of the fantasy of SW. Thinks happen for the sake of the plot that dont make sense in terms of real-world phisics. i would take them a long time to reach that place.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    It is not a galaxy, because it is visibly rotating. Galaxies do not spin anywhere near that fast.

It is most likely the Rishi Maze, the smaller galaxy-shaped object "above" the GFFA.

13. jedi_quinn

jedi_quinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    So if the GFFA is colliding with another galaxy "a long time ago", it's probably wiped out proper now (or at least pretty messed up).

Vaders' sacrifice was for nothing. Pff.

14. DarthGelatinous

DarthGelatinous Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2001
    I thought I read somewhere that it is the 'Schnebula Nebula', but I'm probably just making that up.

15. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    dunno if it turns , could be also bcs the camera is movin

anyway it looks undoubtly like a "Galaxy"

EDIT: tho if it should be "THE" GFFA it should have look way bigger

so i guess Bib comes closest to the answer

16. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    I think its one of those two or three smaller satelite galaxies surrounding the GFFA, which we see on that little screen in the Jedi archives. The Milky Way has several smaller galaxies orbiting it as well. This would put the Rebel Fleet at somewhere just above the galactic plane. Note that the ESB novelization says that what they are looking at is a huge crimson star, which is obviously contradicted by the movies.

Hey, before the the special edition, wasnt the "galaxy thing" a reddish nebula? Cause in the ESB storybook from 1980, thats a reddish nebula their looking at, not a "galaxy thing".

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    The object did not change in the SE; it's the same as it was in the original.

18. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Oh. Then whats the deal with the thing in the storybook?

19. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Isn't it just a star system? I thought galaxies didn't really look like that since we have only seen star systems in our own galaxy. Plus Chewie and Lando go towards it, maybe it's the system where Tatooine is.

20. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    Or maybe it's just a pretty visual...

(Naw, that'd be too easy to explain ;) )

21. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    I always thought it was a baby star. I think that's how it's described in the novel.

22. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    It is most likely the Rishi Maze, the smaller galaxy-shaped object "above" the GFFA.

The ""'s are not necessary, Bib, because there really is a North and South in space. :D

Isn't it just a star system? I thought galaxies didn't really look like that since we have only seen star systems in our own galaxy.

Wrong. Actually we have seen thousands of galaxies. The nearest, for instance,(M31, also known as Andromeda (this a huge pic, but well worth it)) actually does look very much like the object seen at the end of ESB. And it's very beautiful in its own right as well. I would recommend looking for hi-res pictures of space objects like Andromeda or the Orion Nebula or any number of other things. They are so beautiful it's astounding.

There is no way this thing in ESB is a star system, by the way. Or even a cluster, unless it's of a form we've never seen. A star system, let's use our own for instance, seen from just as far away as the next nearest system, the Centauri system, would look like... a star. The planets do not reflect enough light for them to be seen with the naked eye from such a distance, and even if you were to look with a telescope the light from the sun would overpower their reflected light, similar to why you never see stars in pictures taken on the moon and why you never see stars (except the sun :D ) during the day. It's just too bright.

A forming planetary system makes more sense, because with something like that you'd have the dust lanes and clouds observed in the ESB object. However, the ESB object seems to have STARS in it. Hmmm... Perhaps those are merely chunks of detritus that will eventually form into planets. The baby star idea works for that too.

And to the one who said they'd have to be out of the galaxy to see it like that... well, not really. There is not actually a well-defined border to galaxies (this is one thing in the EU that really bothers me), the stars just sort of peter off into the void. There's no boundary that, oh this star is in this galaxy, but this one isn't.

However, Bib is right, not surprisingly, and galaxies do not spin anywhere near as fast as the object at the end of ESB, so logicallly it cannot be a galaxy.

And another idea. Maybe they really are outside the galaxy. It goes against the EU, I know, but I don't know if that bothers the creator of this thread or not, so I'm just throwing it out there as a thought. Using real-world physics, there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to leave the galaxy.

23. Kizakh

Kizakh Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    "Real-world physics?! We don't need no stinking real-world physics!"

This is Star Wars, after all :D

24. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    I think that Lucas said in the DVDcomentary of AOTC that it was the Rishi Maze.

25. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    "That's no moon! It's a galaxy!" [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.