main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Problem with image at the end of TESB

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by -Emperor_Palpatine-, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_quinn

jedi_quinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Man that pictur of Andromeda is sweet!

In case this post takes this thread to a 2nd page, I'll re-post the link here to save you having to swap pages:

here

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, that's a great pic!

3. CosPalpatine

CosPalpatine Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2002
    To Thrawn's point, that may simply be the center of the Galaxy that they are actually somewhat close to. Similar to the "Milky Way" we see in our sky. We are in the Milky Way but we refer to the cluster at the center as the "Milky Way" too.

4. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    The image we actually saw can't be a galaxy. If a Milky-way sized galaxy spun as fast as we saw in ESB, the stars would be moving many lightyears every second, which is impossible. And in AOTC, we see that the galaxy (in the Jedi Archives map) doesn't quite look like what we saw at the end of ESB.

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "The image we actually saw can't be a galaxy."

And what else, exactly, would be impossible in a galaxy where light can be made to "stop" 3 feet from its point of origin? ?[face_plain]

;)

6. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    I still say that's the SW galaxy Luke and Leia are looking at. Even though they'd have to be like a million light years away, SW isn't 100% accurate, you know. You can't travel from planet to planet in different solar sytems in ten minutes, but rather several years, that is, if you are traveling at the speed of light and the planet is light years away.

7. jedi_quinn

jedi_quinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I have big problems with the tech vs real life physics issue in SW (and all sci-fi) films.

My take is that although it is in a GFFA, it should still have the same fundamental laws physics including relativity etc etc. because it theoretically exists in the same universe that we do.

Because SW is sci-fi, it invents stuff to get around technological issues and break or bend the laws of physics to make things possible. They don't need to explain such things IMO, although geeks can pore over the details if they wish.

Therefore IMO, the end image of ESB is more likely to be a star being born, or possibly this "Rishi Maze" thing. Something that is "real-world" and we could see if we looked into our night sky.

8. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Is it not possible that it actually is a galaxy, and that the spinning of the galaxy was to give it some effect at the end of the movie.

9. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Agreed, but some people want more.

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Maybe it's just a big ol' smudge on the view window ;)

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I remember a quote from Lucas saying that this Galaxy they are viewing at the end of ESB is another Galaxy that is just being born. It is supposed to symbolise the constant birth of new hope.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Lucas said on the AOTC DVD that it's the Rishi Maze.

13. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I've always thought it was another part of the galaxy. Very cool to know George says it's the Rishi Maze. :)

14. KiAdiMonday

KiAdiMonday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2003
    Maybe it's just a big ol' smudge on the view window

Lol. I can just picture the next scene. A guy in a spacesuit with a squeege in his hand cleans the window removing the galaxy.

Plus Chewie and Lando go towards it, maybe it's the system where Tatooine is.

No they don't they fly away 'above' it off towards the top of the screen.

I always figured it was a sattelite galaxy like the Magellanic Clouds around our own. And after seeing the Rishi maze in ATOC assumed that was one of them too (possibly but not necessarily the same one).

Jedi Quinn "So if the GFFA is colliding with another galaxy "a long time ago", it's probably wiped out proper now (or at least pretty messed up)." They aren't colliding - some smaller galaxies orbit larger ones.

15. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    And what else, exactly, would be impossible in a galaxy where light can be made to "stop" 3 feet from its point of origin?

There are other possibilities for what a lightsaber is.

However, in the case of the image at the end of ESB, we know it is phyiscally impossible to spin like that, and so we know it can't be a galaxy.

So, unless Lucas comes out and says that it is the galaxy (which would make the interpretation clear), then it's not. And if Lucas did say it was the galaxy, then something is wrong with the visual effects.

Where exactly on the AOTC DVD does Lucas say it's the Rishi Maze?

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I think it's in the commentary, when Obi-Wan is trying to figure out where Kamino is.

17. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Actually, galaxies do collide. The M31 galaxy is getting closer and closer to our Milky Way, and in some billions and billions of years, it will eventually get here and the result will be stunning for any life living in the Milky Way at the time. The two will become a super-galaxy with enormous mass and capacity.

18. XxRenzokukenxX

XxRenzokukenxX Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2003
    What does IMO mean?

19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    In my opinion

20. XxRenzokukenxX

XxRenzokukenxX Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2003
    I know....

Somehow...I've always known.

21. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Nevermind

22. Jawa-Juice

Jawa-Juice Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    If IMO means "in my opinion", what does IMHO mean?

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
  24. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I always figured it was a sattelite galaxy like the Magellanic Clouds around our own. And after seeing the Rishi maze in ATOC assumed that was one of them too (possibly but not necessarily the same one).

Yeah, that's what I figured as well.

Ardens_Furore: It says that in the AOTC text commentary, which can be accessed on the DVD-ROM section of starwars.com. Grilled_Sarlacc transcribed the entire commentary and posted it to the AOTC forum, but I don't know where it is.

25. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Or maybe it's just a pretty visual...
    Ya know, sometimes the simple solution is the best. I always took that background as something was was supposed to look similar to our solar system...but with no sign reading "Earth - scheduled to open in +20,000 ANH"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.