main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Problem with Quicktime 6 and On2...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ben-Kushaan_Exile, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    Okay.. I just got QT6 and I tried to open some of my On2 compressed movies, and the video channel didn't work anymore. Does anyone else have this problem?..

2. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    yes on2 apparently wont work with qt6 i have the same problem..

altho in the post about codecs someone said they got on2 to work in qt6..

wonder if they have a mac... :)

anyway it could be a number of things... but i think its just that the on2 codec hasnt been updated for qt6 yet.. but thats just my guess

3. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Aug 29, 2000
    Should we expect a new On2 version soon do ya think? Or should I try to reinstall QT5?

4. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    no clue

more likely is the fact that something's just wrong with our install :)

5. funkedelic_bob

funkedelic_bob Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2002
    I don't think its a bad install. I have the same problem... :(

6. DarthMoves

DarthMoves Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    I just installed QT6 Pro and my on2 stuff works. I have a mac 933 1.5 ram.

7. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    *watches the Storm Ahead 'Pods' Teaser*

No problems with On2 & QT6 here. I would just make sure you have the latest On2 codec.

8. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    since your on2 works.. what kind of computer do u have? mac or pc?

EDIT: came accross some on2 stuff on a web page ... it loaded fine.... but.. the on2 stuff i have on my hd doesnt seem to work

odd eh?

9. funkedelic_bob

funkedelic_bob Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2002
    I'm pc here... people with macs seem 2 have it working... I'm not liking this :(

10. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Did the people with problems install On2 VP3 from the Quicktime server or did you download the standalone installation from a site (ie vp3.com or Daft's site)? I think this might possibly be the problem. Now if only I could find a way to uninstall On2 from my PC. I might just move all my On2 encoded files to the Mac!

11. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    You should be able to unistall using the install programme. As for the other peoples woes, do you have the Quicktime auto update feature working? I recently installed OSX (which for me meant a totally clean install) and when I opened a movie, it flashed up with Codec not installed : on2, do you want to install (or something), I clicked yes and about two seconds later it was done and dusted.

It was very impressive, and a lot easier than downloading and installing codecs from sites (mine or otherwise)

And this was Quicktime 6 BTW. If people are still having trouble, have you installed the new Quicktime 6 player, have you checked the auto update boxes, and are you definatley using the 'live' programme, and not still messing arond with the public Beta?

12. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Daft, I usually get Quicktime to update itself, but when I uninstalled the beta I reinstalled VP3 as the standalone installation. So now, you can't update the normal way through Quicktime (it recognises that it is installed and fully updated). I'll have a go at running the installation file and see if I can indeed uninstall VP3 through it.

And it isn't the beta, I definately don't have it on my system anymore and only have the full version. Though I would like to know if those having trouble had previously installed the beta or not.

If neither of my questions match up with the problems then it might just be the PC version, can anyone run VP3 with the PC version? If not it looks like I will be moving my VP3 encoded files to the Mac.

13. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Aug 29, 2000
    Well.. I think we're looking at an OS problem. I tried the auto-update, the stand-alone On2 installer, reinstalling Quicktime, and I am still getting the same results..

14. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    I have to agree here. I had no problems on my XP machine with QT5 and the VP3 codec, but as soon as I upgraded to the full version of QT6 the VP3 codec stopped working. I've checked the updates and it tells me there aren't any, and the manual installer doesn't make a difference.

If I uninstall QT6 and go back to QT5, then it works fine.

A problem with QT6 on the Windows platform it would seem.

15. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    yeah... i'd installed on2 using the qt auto update feature when i had qt5... but when i installed qt6 (it appeared to be the full version) on2 just stopped working.. i tried installing the stand alone but nothing happened still doesnt work..

it would appear that qt6 is either not in its final form for the PC or that someone at apple goofed and released it too early :)

16. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Aug 29, 2000
    PLEASE LISTEN CLOSELY:

I HAVE gotten the ON2 to work correctly with Quicktime 6 on the WindowsXP platform!

To do this I uninstalled Quictime 6. Reinstalled. Then, after completing the installation I opened the "Quicktime Updater" file. It then told me everything was up-to-date. Click CUSTOM at the bottom left and it will bring up a list. This will possibly include On2 as "Not Installed" after selecting all of the items in this list and clicking UPDATE, everything worked fine.

If you are unclear of a step or if you need me to trouble-shoot something, post or PM me.

17. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    On2 works for me with QT6...

The problem is, WHAT THE HELL IS DIFFERENT?

I download QT6, and I lose my Pro, and I don't even see a difference. Am I missing something?

18. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Aug 29, 2000
  19. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    QT6 comes with the ability to play mpeg4 files (both video and audio) while the mpeg4 appears to not be as good as on2 at the moment the mpeg4 audio (AAC) is one of the best audio compressors you can use ... that is if your player supports mpeg4.. like qt6 :p also it appears to run better on my system than qt5 did... other than that tho qt6 looks the same to me.. i just have to fix this on2 problem and all will be good ;)

Edit:
    I tried reinstalling quicktime and updating it manualy.. the On2 codec was not an installable option (it said "no" :p)

Edit:
    im sure the reason is cuz i may still have on2 installed somewhere (begins digging) let me remove it and get back to ya :p

Edit(last one :)):
    Removing on2 completely will fix it.. u dont nessiarily have to uninstall qt entirely.. (altho thats the easy way :p) .. altho its in my opinion that this kind of thing shouldnt happen and that the update should have taken care of a thing like this.. (and the fact qt6 isnt all that different .. )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.