main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Problems with Celebration 2

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by JediYvette , Oct 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    As far as where Skywalker Ranch is, I have no idea where it is, it was just where a friend of mine said it was. And yes, Indy is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than most large cities. Although it does rain in May a bit sometimes, at least 6 hotels are connected to the convention center and the whole convention center is enclosed. :)

2. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I still think it sucks, and I still want to protest it. Hey--not only am I from Seattle (Between WTO, and Mardi Gras I think I got enough expirience, even if it all was indirectly), I am also a college student; I am supossed to protest stuff.

3. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    From what I've heard, Seattle's a great city, but it's on the corner of the map and a greater number of poor college students would be unable to go due to extrobinate airfare and the city being too expensive to begin with....and, as mentioned previously, rain would be guaranteed. I think your efforts would be better served to protest the Mariners' post-season performance.

4. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    lol the man makes a point.

5. Sevb25

Sevb25 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2001
    Yes, Shara, I live in Columbus, Indiana, it's about 40 miles south of Indianapolis.

6. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    umm yeah I know where Columbus is. I go down there quite often. Why don't you come join us at the Indy Knights Board?

7. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    My parents have a place on Sweetwater, so I know the area as well.....to the Indy boards you must go.

8. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Honestly,I don't care about professional sports--Star Wars takes all my non-school time. Anyway, the Mainers apparently had the most awesome season EVER. I'm sorry if you feel their post-season was lacking--Could you do better?

And I hope Seattle is the location of the 3rd Celebration. Or even somewhere on the west coast. That is all I ask!!!!

9. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Respons time!

1) If they wanted it so centralized, they would hold it in Kansas.

2) Yes, it does rain in Seattle, but the way people think of Seattle, we get rain every day. Not true. Sure, we get more rainy days than sunny, but can any other city (other than CA and FL) not say the same?

3) EVERYTHING is for the east coast! Awards shows are live early for the EAST COAST. We see them taped and slightly edited. East coast this and east coast that. GUESS WHAT! There's a whole other side of the country where, yes, we too watch tv and attend events. I just wanted something over here that west coasters will enjoy. And Denver isn't that close.

4) Seattle has large Sci-fi conventions about once every 10 years. No one comes here, despite the fact we have MANY large facilities that could hold one. And they're downtown where every major hotel is located. So Indiana has the BIGGEST. WOOHOO! That just means larger lines, more people, and lots of things to miss. Great.

I bet it rains! MWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

JediFarfy, Seattle resident FOREVER!

10. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Just so you know Indiana isn't the east coast. It's considered the mid-west.

11. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Yeah I have to agree, we're technically in the midwest. And nothing against Kansas, but I think both by driving and flying standards, Indianapolis has easier access than Kansas, which is why they chose us. We are also the homesite of many international organizations. Obviously we have some appeal.

No, it does not mean longer lines and things to miss. I think that WotC knows the problems that were seen in Denver and at other conventions and are taking measures to get around it. Live and Learn.

And as far as rain, yeah, it will probably rain, which is why one of the tips on the Indy Knights website is to pack for all kinds of weather. But unlike Denver, there will be no lines waiting outside, and a dry commute from the hotels surrounding the facility.

12. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    -- I doubt I would go if it was in seattle, too long of a flight in economy class for me, I need more room to sit and First class is too much money.

Pity me. I'll be stuck in an airplane for about 24 hours! Then, having no idea of your traffic system, will attempt to get from Chicago to Indianopolis in one piece!

We all need some perspective. :)

13. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I pity you. I used to live in Chicago.

14. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    hehe, now we are considering driving there.

15. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Wow Sil, that's dedication!

Just remember, drive on the right side of the road. ;)

16. LadyAnakinSkywalker

LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 6, 2001
    They can't please everyone with the location. If its in Seattle, someone in Florida would complain. If its in Southern California, people in New York would complain.

I'm in New Mexico. Denver was close to me (8 hours). That was nice. This year...its not so close. I'm willing to go the extra distance. If you don't like it. Then don't go. ;)

(Note: That wasn't directed at anyone. Thought I would make that clear.) :)

17. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    Shara, it wasn't Skywalker Ranch (which is in Marin County, California) that was close to Denver and the reason why the first Celebration was held there. The first Celebration was in Denver because that's where the Official Star Wars Fan Club was based at the time.

Since the last Celebration was pretty much a "fly by the seat of your pants" planned event, I guess organizers figured it would be easier to pull off in their own city.

This time around, it's nice to know that Wizards of the Coast has been working on planning the Celebration for such a long time. I think it will make a lot of the logistical problems that plagued the first Celebration a lot less of an issue in Indianapolis.

18. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Thank you Joker, I knew it was something like that. Like I stated before, I was probably mistaken.

Ahh well, I think we've proven that Celebration II will not suck. WotC and LFL can't satisfy everyone, so they tried to satisfy as many people as possible. :)

19. LadyAnakinSkywalker

Oct 6, 2001
    Couldn't have said it better myself, Shara. :)

20. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Thank you.

Something else to make Celebration II better: The traveling Smithsonian exhibit, with a Naboo Fighter ship, will be in Indy from March-May, including during Celebration. I work at the museum occasionally in the planetarium and it seems that I will be working on this project a lot.

21. LadyAnakinSkywalker

Oct 6, 2001
    Do you think it was possible that those exhibits were also taken into consideration for the placement of the event?

Now I'm even more excited.

22. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    I don't think that the exhibit had to do with the choosing of the convention because the exhibit is small. That's why we're already working on things to add to it. But I think, and I don't know this for sure at all, it's just a guess, that the reason the exhibit is here is due to C2.

:)

23. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, why didn't they plan it in Seattle.

And NO. It's DOES NOT rain that much in Seattle. Really. There are a dozen cities that get more rain than Seattle. We just have a little a lot more often. It rain this year only about a weeks worth all summer from May to August. So, no, it probably won't rain.

Yeah, I know that no matter where the celebration is, others will complain. In that case, why doesn't Uncle Moneybags (aka-George Lucas and his $3 billion) have celebrations on both coasts or in two seperate locations. Split up the celebrities or get more. Have great stuff at both. He can afford it. It would make a bunch of people happier.

JediFarfy

24. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    It's a special event because there's only one of them, no matter where it's held.

25. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    It would be less special if it was held in two places. And the harder and more inconvenient it is to get to it, the less people are going to want to come. I'd say coming to Indianapolis is a lot more convenient then going to Seattle. Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.