main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Problems with fueding between EU and Non-EU Supporters on Film forum

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Stevious, May 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Good job, Fire_Light. That's the end of the discussion as far as Im concerned. Good day.

2. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Do you guys realize how big of geeks we are just for arguing this matter?

I mean, you can't just walk up to a stranger on the street and start an EU/movie debate [face_laugh]

3. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Finally, some levity ! Thank you, B'omarr. :)

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Trust me, you can. But they don't say the EU isnt, they just run :)

5. LordPhobetor

LordPhobetor Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2001
    From Darth Dark Helmet:
    "No more of this He said she said crap. This thread is devoted to looking for solutions, not placing blame. If I see another post full of quotes statements about who started what and who said what, I will close this."

But Lord Helmet, you're missing the point. How can a solution be presented if the problem is not properly identified? It is the mindset of many purists that completists are to blame for most of the EU/Canon wars. Conversely, completists insist that purists are to blame for most of the flame wars. Rather than allow everyone to hide behind the safety of their own assumptions, I decided to put their notions to the test.

From January 4th to March 1st of this year, I lurked unseen on the Jedi Council Forums. The only indication of what I was up to was when Merkurian asked Bib to remove any references to the "canonicity" of EU from his signature, lest his very presence incite hostility. However, it was never revealed to Bib WHY he was to do this. After the beginning of March the sheer volume of posts combined with the evil specter of "real life" caused me to have to abandon my study.

What I discovered is that the purists were the ones to "throw the first punch" by a factor of approximately 4 to 1 in relation to completists, and that's excluding threads that are no longer readable because they were locked & deleted.

Being a Sith Lord, I have no problem with people displaying their anger & hatred ;) However, I demand that people own up to their hatreds, rather than try to project their problems onto others.

A solution then, Lord Helmet, would be for movie purists to confess that their instances of EU hatred far outweigh the instances of EU "throat shoving," and adjust their behavior accordingly. Likewise, completists should recognize that they are not the innocents they make themselves out to be, and also adjust their behavior accordingly.

In short, there'd be far fewer flame wars if each side were to merely be more respectful of the other...

...not that that will actually happen on a lasting basis... [face_devil]

6. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Conversely, completists insist that purists are to blame for most of the flame wars

Oh no I didn't :)

7. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    You've tried this before. ;)

I agree. The only solution is to give explanations from the films and from EU and not tell you what you have to believe.

And Cannon debates are not started by bashers, and they're not started by gushers. They're started on either side, and people on both sides refuse to give it up.

Now you can label people purists or completests all you want, but when it comes down to it, what we say here today won't reach everyone.
    So when some guy walks into the spoiler forum and says 'Thrawn will be in episode 3' and some other guy walks in and says 'EU sucks! you're retarded!' the only thing we can do is defuse the arguement, not take sides.

8. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I hope we can justr end this on, "Enjoy whatever form of star wars their is, Im sure GL does, and would want you too"

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Aaaah, the naivety of youth. Such a good sight to see such blissful, innocent hopes and dreams. :)

10. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    That will soon be crushed and discarded. :p

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Chissdude...
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/anakinskywalker/img/movie_sm.jpg]

Chissdude after engaging in a EU-movie debate...
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/darthvader/img/movie_sm.jpg]

12. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Along the same lines...

Gandolf as a normal user:
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/palpatine/img/movie_sm.jpg]

Gandolf as a Mod:
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/palpatine/img/eu_sm.jpg]

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I don't get it. Both of them are still evil. [face_devil]

14. Darth_Stevious

Darth_Stevious Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2002
    While we all have a role to play, it is going to be up to the Admin staff and the Mods to gain control of these EU/Non-EU wars and restore order to the CT forums. It is going to require swift action in shutting down inflammatory threads and punishing the actions of board members who insist on bashing the opinions of others. It will be hard work and they won't make many friends doing it, but it has to be done.
    People have the right to state their opinions in an open forum. EU fans have the right to mention the EU in the movie forum without fear of being bashed by those who don't like the EU. Movie fans have the right to enjoy the films and discuss what happened on the screen without having a fan of the EU demand that they accept an EU explanation for the events on screen. We all need to recognize the fact that any thread that speculates about events that occur off screen is going to invite input from the EU and should not be shocked when it happens.
    EVERYONE needs to treat others with the same amount of respect that they would expect others to treat them with. If a forum member is unable to treat others with respect he/she needs to be warned to knock it off. If he/she continues to behave in an uncivilized way then he/she should be banned immediately.

15. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    The main problem is it's the same situation every time. In the EUDF we get a call, check it out and sombody has to state the old LFL statment. The smarter purists argue against it, saying GL's word is the only word.

Now what we really need is GL's word about this, but that is not likly to happen.

I propose we have a official thread for EU in each movie forum, WHILE any mention of the EU as being definate canon, or of a purist bashing the EU for no good reason, should be locked.

We also need to encourage oldbies and mods alike to set this example, we cannot have newbies running around acting like their role-modles if they arn't acting the right way.

16. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    How about everyone just shuts the hell up and stops complaining about something as idiotic as this?

*looks at Bibby #2*

17. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    I have mentioned as much, we should really go are seperate ways in this debate, perhaps we are trying to fuse something together that cannot be fused at such a time.

18. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Solution: tell n00bies (who, in my experience, do most of the bashing) how to respect others. As for the older members who should know better but continue to bash, ban them.

19. LordPhobetor

LordPhobetor Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2001
    Young Anakin said:
    "I propose we have a official thread for EU in each movie forum, WHILE any mention of the EU as being definate canon, or of a purist bashing the EU for no good reason, should be locked."
    Hmmm...perchance you're referring to something like this? As you can see, the presence of an "official" thread does little to deter flame wars.

20. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Yes, but it will only work if it is inforced before a user posts, lets be seriouse, we need a forum statment you MUST look at before entering a forum.

21. Darth_Stevious

Darth_Stevious Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2002
    I think that it would help if this forum had "sticky topics". Those being topics that can be perminantly place at the top of the list. That way you could have the forum rules post, newbie greeting post, and all the official posts right at the beginning of the list. This would deffinitely cut down on duplicate posts and keep the other important topics right where everyone could find them.

If this forum already supports sticky topics I apologize for not knowing this already. I would suggest that they are used more often though, because I have yet to see one.

22. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    We do not have sticky topics.

:_|

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So since we're being solutions-oriented, here's my suggestion: As it stands right now, it is forbidden in the movies forum to insist that EU is "canon," and it's forbidden in the Lit forum to say EU isn't "canon." How about we make it fair and equitable to both sides without relegating people to particular forums? Just as you can't say that EU is "canon" in the movie forums, how about we make it equitable by making it forbidden to say that EU isn't "canon" in the movie forums? Likewise, just as you can't say that EU isn't "canon" in the lit forum, how about making it fair to everyone by saying that you can't say that EU is "canon" in the lit forums.

Here's my logic: both sides of the divide use the c-word as a crutch, the net result being that intelligent discussion gets stifled as threads degenerate into flame wars. Typically it goes something like this; I'll use the movie forum format as my example-

Poster A: Thread topic blah blah blah...
    Poster B: (insert EU reference here)
    Poster C: That's all collops because the EU isn't "canon"
    Poster B: EU is canon.
    Poster D: No it isn't!
    Poster B: Yes it is!!
    Poster C & D: NO IT ISN'T!!!
    Poster B & E: YES IT IS!!!

and so on....

Personally, I think using the c-word to refute or support an EU reference is pretty weak. I mean, imagine how intelligent discussion would florish if folks couldn't rely on that crutch.

I'm not suggesting that you lock any threads where EU is being debated. I'm just saying that folks will have to try a little harder to refute or support their points. Personally, I miss debates with folks like Ecthellion, SBH Jr, and Iron Parrot. It's possible to disagree about EU-related material without having to resort to the c-word.

I'd suggest that any thread that uses the c-word receive a warning to drop references to the term. If the posters disregard the warning, do like DDH and lock the thread with an invitation to continue the discussion on-topic in a new thread.

Your thoughts?

24. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    jedi merk... I AGREE... no more use of that dirty c-word

personally i would love to have intelligent conversations rather than just flame wars about the c-word...

however i agree with fire_light that all we have to do is respect each other....

rarely do purists go into the lit forum and bash or discuss...

however the EUers often go into the movie forums to discuss/speculate...

the problem come in when the purists disreguard any EU at all and just say it doesn't exist or that is shouldn't exist. most of the time this happens without the EUer having forced his opinion on anyone...

purists HAVE TO ALLOW EU SPECULATION/ EU ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS... now they dont have to agree or accept them.. but they CANNOT SHOOT THEM DOWN JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE EU... they have to allow the EU in the movie forums.

the EUers... HAVE TO NOT FORCE EU ON ANYONE!!!! we cannot say that say that a purist is wrong to say that jorus c'both doesn't exist in prequel era... HOWEVER WE CAN SAY THAT "according to the EU jorus did exist, you can refuse to acknowledge this, but i do not."

or something like that.

it seems that for the last month or so... i cant even have a discussion in film forum without a flame war.

also THE ADMINS SHOULD NOT GIVING THEIR OWN OPINIONS... BY THIS I MEAN THEY CAN NOT JUST BASH THE EU THEN LOCK A TOPIC

WE ALL KNOW THAT THIS HAPPENS AND THAT IT IS UNACCEPTABLE. as well as unpolite and not the way admins should be acting.

25. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    [image=http://www.tvdance.com/waynesworld/excellent.gif]

Party on with the biased language, UCLA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.