Problems with mods.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by lightknight, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. lightknight Jedi Master

star 4
    Athough I've not seen anything realted to this lately,sometimes I've noticed some critical comments about mods 'cause of threads locked.Some time ago, this originated kinda 'fashion' of discussions that came after the locking of some threads -specially into the Classic Trylogy board, if I'm not wrong- due to the aplication of some new rules.

As far as I know, admins and mods tryed to explain why this was happening, but some people seemed not to agree with all the points...

This site is a place to stablish peace; my idea is to invite everyone (mods and admins included) to share ideas about how to deal the first ones with the others,and rather.

Your turn.
  2. chissdude10 Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Thats such a lovly thought, to bad there are greedy and power hungry people in this world, mods and regular posters.
  3. Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod

star 6
    if you have a problem with why a mod locked a thread, or if you have a question about it, PMing the mod is usually quicker than complaining.

Which new rules are you specifically speaking about? I'm not up on the CT forum.
  4. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Does this answer your question Liz?

Besides the EU/Canon issues, the only other problem I've seen in there is the inability to discuss the same topics in the same threads. For example, not too long ago Commander Antilles created a thread specifically for DVD discussion/speculation, yet people still made topics about it anyway. I don't think looking beyond the first page to find an old subject to bring up is above and beyond the call of duty.
  5. Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod

star 6
    Nice rules. What's wrong with them?
  6. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't see anything wrong with them, myself, but I do have an idea as to why they were redrawn and laid down to the CTers.
  7. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    JGM, they were created because CT was turning into one big war between "Canon" and "EU".
  8. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I know that, but I was talking about having a specific person in mind ([not naming anyone] who wasn't 100% responsible but was the most notorious of the bunch) rather than the reason itself.
  9. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    As far as I?m concerned, a thread is redundant if I can find another thread on the same topic in the first two or three pages of the Literature board, which equals about 90 seconds of searching on a 56k modem. A thread that?s on page three means that it hasn?t been posted to in about three days, give or take a day on particularly slow or fast days.

When I find a redundant thread, I first provide a link to the thread that it?s trying to supplement, then I lock the thread. So far, I think that I?ve posted a link with every thread that I?ve locked because of redundancy.
  10. chissdude10 Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Really, I never heard of that rule?
  11. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    That's always been kind fo unwritten rule about redundancy. If something has been talked about and there's a topic formt he last few days, close the new one and link to the old one.

Its different for every forum, is PSA, its easier to go by number of days, because sometimes, you can have five pages worth of topics that go back only two days. In a forum like CT, if you go backs five pages, you go back a week and half or two weeks.

But basically, it boils down to wanting people to check around a bit to see if they can easily find an older topic.

Me personally, if a redundant topic started and someone else finds a posts a link fairly quickly, I'll close it and refer to the link that was posted. If one hasn't been posted, I'll go back a few days worth of topics and try and find one. If I can't find one, I leave it.
  12. Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Quote:
    "Thats such a lovly thought, to bad there are greedy and power hungry people in this world, mods and regular posters."

What are you talking about?
  13. Vertical Former Head Admin

star 6
    Actually, it's not even an unwritten rule. It's written. This is taken from the "Welcome to the Forums" thread, in the Informational Threads forum:

QUESTION #2: I?ve got a great idea for a thread, can I post it?

That?s what this place is for, to be sure, but you?ll want to take a look around the first 5 pages of topics (Make sure you?re set up to see 25 topics per page! See the FAQ!) before you actually slap your thoughts down. You see, if you post a topic that?s already being discussed, or has been discussed recently (last 4-5 pages), that thread is what we call "redundant", and that?s a ?rookie mistake?. Your thread will probably be bombarded with posts declaring its redundancy, and you?re going to have a hard time getting discussion going. Not to mention, whoever started the other thread on the subject won?t appreciate the fact that you didn?t take the time to check out their thread.

Of course, now you'll want to set your view to 50 topics per page, and you'll want to review probably the first 3-4 pages...

Vertical
  14. Emerik Lonestar Jedi Master

star 4
    I dont see why people complain at all. It is just a message board, not the end of the world. Yes everyone wants to be important and come up with the next best reason for why Sidious=Palpy and put it in a new thread. But I am sorry to say it has been done before. Been there, done that, design the stinking t-shirt.

In short, go and look at that bright yellow ball in the sky.
  15. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
  16. EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Take it, its the best offer you'll get tonite, Humble ;) 8-}
  17. PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Stupid people shouldn't use the Internet. Learn to voice your criticisms without using this form of pseudo-crap that was used way too much in the first post. Learn to not use generalizations, which create more problems.

Meh, meh, meh... blah, blah, blah... stupid, stupid, stupid.
  18. BISMARCK Force Ghost

star 4
    Ha! PreacherBoy, you are probably my main motivating reason for coming here. :cool:
  19. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    hmmm, now that definately was a come on
  20. PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling

star 5
    99.99999% of complaint threads use this sort of template, with title always making a generalization about all of the Administration:

This Administration doesn't know how to do the job they are being paid to do. This board is a democratic government where my opinion matters, yet the people in charge are nothing but Nazi tyrants! I demand attention! One of the mods closed one of my threads and it wasn't fair. Instead of taking a legitimate complaint to the place where it should go, I'm just going to sit here and complain, whining until I get a refund on the financial investment I put into this place. *backpedals* Now, I'm not looking for trouble because I'm a law-abiding citizen working my way to one day be a part of the Administration I REALLY HATE, BUT CANNOT GIVE ANY SPECIFICS ON.
    I hate this forum. Most of the time it is the equivalent of an old woman's hair salon; too much drama with an equal amount of fumes.
  21. Internet_Controversy Jedi Youngling

22. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  23. Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    This is why I stay in SA and Episode III.
  24. PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Still, Bra... I've seen you say "I'd love to see a legitimate complaint" more times than I can count.
  25. Commander Antilles Chosen One

star 6
    This Administration doesn't know how to do the job they are being paid to do. This board is a democratic government where my opinion matters, yet the people in charge are nothing but Nazi tyrants! I demand attention! One of the mods closed one of my threads and it wasn't fair. Instead of taking a legitimate complaint to the place where it should go, I'm just going to sit here and complain, whining

Sounds like quite a few people in the E-X Anarchy forum, eh Padme? ;)
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.