main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Problems with the Official Fan Club membership perks

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by YodaJeff, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Just an update on this , I know I posted it somewhere awhile back but I just noticed its not on here.

I received notice from WOTC regarding whether bringing family members in or minors with you without a membership lanyard.

They did let me know that as long as I had my lanyard my minor family members and minors in my party could go in to the fan club area with me.
    I hope that helps everyone alittle bit.

You will also be able to pick up your lanyard at the convention if they havent mailed it to you yet.

CANT WAIT countdown has begun!!!!

See everyone there!!
    Strawbary

2. tionnesharp

tionnesharp Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    Hey, thank you as well. I, too, didn't exactly know what a "lanyard" was. Incidentally, I ordered my pass in November and I didn't get one. I hope I do in Indy. I didn't realize it included extra privileges.

3. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    A tangent question - If i'm buying my ticket at the door, and i'm a fan club member, do you know if i'll still be able to get the lanyard? I called wizards and got a customer svc "kid" who had no idea.

4. DEWGOD01

DEWGOD01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2002
    I think it was mentioned in another thread (Sebulba perhaps) who said there was a "master list" of everyone who was in the Fan Club so if you ask for it they should be able to give you the grey lanyard. :) Hope this helps. I would tell you the thread but I'm feeling way to lazy to spend the night looking at each one to find it. :) Hopefully someone can back me up on this.

5. Jayna

Jayna Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    If you started subscribing to the Insider long enough ago, you should automatically have fan club member status. I remember seeing the magazine and getting excited because it said that if I subscribed, it would make me a mamber of the fan club. That was the cool deal back then. I have never paid anything extra for it, and I was able to receive the special lanyard. If you have been getting the magazine for a few years now, I would recommend you call the 800 number ( I think it's 1-800-TRUEFAN) and ask if you are a member.

6. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Here's the reply I received to my e-mail:

Jeff,

You are correct. Since you renewed as a subscriber, you would now be a
    subscriber instead of a member. You do have a couple of options though if you
    want to become a member:

1) Purchase a membership. Then, since I assume you do not want two copies of
    each Insider issue, you can call our fulfillment house at 1-800-692-3836. Just
    ask them to merge your two subscriptions so that you will receive 1 issue for 2
    years.

2) Call our fulfillment house at 1-800-692-3836 and ask them to cancel your
    subscription and refund your money. You can then purchase a membership.

I hope one of the options work for you. Sorry for the confusion on how
    memberships and subscriptions have changed. To purchase a membership, go to:
    https://swfan.wizards.com/product.asp?ProductID=4589

-mandi, Star Wars Fan Club

So, needless to say, I'm a little mad at the Fan Club. I'm going to call the fan club and see if I can get a different result than with the e-mail.

7. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Whoa, I was told I was still a fan club member. In fact I have an email I'm taking with me from Wizards that says so.

8. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I just got off the phone with the Fan Club. Anyone else notice that there are three different "Please Wait" messages? The loud man, the normal man, and the lady. You get over 2 of these messages per mintue on average (yes, I was bored, so I started counting).

It seems like I was a member until I renewed my subscription to the magazine a month and a half ago. Then, I was dropped from member status, and just became a subscriber. The guy asked me if I wanted him to cancel that and place a new order for a membership, and I told him NO because there's no reason to pay extra money for something I didn't have to pay for before. He made up some lame excuse about the old membership not having perks. I told him that I didn't want the membership because everything they sold in the magazine was a rip-off anyways. I called at 4:22 eastern time, and 20 minutes later, I finally got connected to someone. The call only took 2 minutes, and I'm still angry at this "Fan Club". I've been an "official fan" for over 4 years, but now I'm no longer an Official Star Wars fan, simply because I refuse to pay $10 for the title.

If I had known about this whole fan club/subscription difference before I renewed my subscription (and if I had known that I would be attending C2 at the time), I wouldn't have had a problem forking over an extra $10 (since I would have been able to use the $10 gift certificate on my C2 badges).

I guess I won't be getting into anything early. I suppose it doesn't really matter since I'm gonna be going with some family members who aren't "Official Fans" either, and I'd feel bad leaving them behind. If they sell out of the Jorg Sacul toys or anything before I can get in the store, they'll definately be hearing about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.