main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Production to Start Early 2014

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Jun 8, 2013.

1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    There is a transcript floating on the web how they shot the ESB carbon chamber scene. It illustrates perfectly just how much tinkering went on with the original script, how much Kershner and Ford played around with dialogue and in the end came up with the version we all know and love - but is significantly different than what was in the script.

If Kershner simply "directed the script" as you say, many of the most loveable moments from ESB would not be there.

2. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    The Transcript was from a book by Alan Arnold- A Journal Of The Making Of The Empire Strikes Back. It is a fantastic book on the production of Empire and in particular that scene. It really does illustrate the impact of a director and their actors upon a screenplay for the better in this occasion.

3. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    The next X-Men movie began shooting in April of this year and comes out July next year. That will be a nearly-as-complex-as-Star-Wars so yeah, January/February of next year for a May 2015 sounds about right. Oh, and Simon Kinberg helped write that script.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Star Wars films have long planning and design phases.
    TPM started design work in 1995, two full years before shooting began(in 97)and post was another 18 months following(up til April '99).

5. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

Yeah, but that's because George Lucas wants like 5 billion drawings, sculptures, etc, to choose from. JJA isn't George Lucas. I mean they would show him walking into a room FULL of stuff and picking like three things. And much of the stuff he finally picked for the PT wasn't that great. Total waste of time, effort and creativity.

6. Jeff Zach

Jeff Zach Jedi Padawan star 3

Jun 7, 2013
    When Disney announced that Star Wars: Episode VII is actually happening, the studio mentioned that they were aiming for a 2015 release date. According to producer Kathleen Kennedy, that is not exactly the case, as of now. Here's what she had to say in a recent interview, revealing they are more interested in getting the story right than hitting a release date.

"Our goal is to move as quickly as we can, and we'll see what happens. The timetable we care about is getting the story."

I have also read that J. J. Abrams plans on releasing Star Wars in November/December 2015 to correspond with the highest-grossing block-busters of all time Avatar and Titanic, which both debuted during those months as well.

They have yet to even begin filming, and it already appears as if they are pushing the release date back further and further. Hopefully, beginning production in early 2014 will lead to the movie opening in theaters at the time it was first slated for release, early 2015.

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    As much as I want to get my Episode VII fix now, I really dont care that they push the release date back a reasonable period of time so long as we get a great product on screen.

Pearlsaber and The Hellhammer like this.
  8. Jeff Zach

Jeff Zach Jedi Padawan star 3

Jun 7, 2013
    Agreed, but once the suggestion was made by Disney that Episode 7 would be finished by early 2015, they created a monster. As now I greedily want the new movie to end production as soon as possible so that I can see the original cast members from the OT (and possibly even PT) reprise each of their roles.

But yes...I guess technically they could focus on the quality of the product...technically... ;)

9. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I think it's just different approaches towards making movies. I remember before Episode 2 (I don't like abbreviations) came out, Lucas said in an interview that the movie could be pushed a year because of delays in production. Eventually that didn't happen and we got probably the worst looking Star Wars movie ever. It looks like a first render, not completed at all.

JJ has too much at stake making the new Star Wars movie, I'm sure he's not going to let something like that happen.

10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't think it's going to get pushed back too much. Disney have already made it quite clear that they want this franchise to produce a movie every year between 2015 - 2019 at least. I don't think Disney would have revealed the multi-picture plan to the world if they weren't confident that they could get everything out within a certain time frame.

On top of this I have no concerns with the time scale that Episode 7 has to be filmed in to be released for a summer 2015 slot. ANH started principal photography in March 1976, just over a year before the final picture made its world premiere. If Episode 7 goes into production in 2014, as we've been told by JJ, then evidence suggests that it will make it out on schedule.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Starting production in early next year does not make a summer 2015 release any less likely. The stuff from interviews about not caring about the release date but focusing on the story is just saying what's expected and sounds right. Delays don't always make for a better film. A lot of pre-production is and has been happening for about a year now anyway.

Darth Chiznuk and Chewgumma like this.
  12. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Ah, man, thanks . . . seriously . . . you have absolutely no idea how much I needed a good laugh . .

13. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Eh, plastic at times, yeah, but first render...no way.

14. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    First render was obviously hyperbole, I'm very glad something like that made you laugh so hard, you must be a very humorous person.

What i meant is that the movie feels very rushed and it constantly looks like crap. Period

15. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    An image can speak louder than words at times:
    [​IMG]

Chewgumma likes this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I would certainly agree, in this instance...

17. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed, an image can be worth many words. Of course "constantly looking like crap" is an entirely personal, subjective judgment. But even so, I wonder in what way these images are "constant crap" . . .
    [face_dunno]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I prefer my FX to be visible boxes around my Tie Fighters, thanks...

19. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    In all honesty, the only thing I can't forgive is the CGI clone troopers.
    Everything else is quite alright.

Pro Scoundrel and HanSolo29 like this.
  20. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Yeah, CGI Clone Troopers were a pretty strange idea. I'd understand utilizing the CGI in large battles, but shots like the one above did not require CGI at all.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  21. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Ok so my predictions are: Casting announcements by October-November, then months of us stalking these actors and creating threads about every thing they do (example: That actor recently cut his hair so this obviously is a MAJOR thing and Look at this video this actor made in 2007 where she says she hates the prequels! Lets all bash her!), then we'll probably *if we're lucky* get some concept art leaks around december, then filming in January. Now the possibility of set pics is up for debate since this is JJ Abrams we're dealing with. Hopefully they film outdoors sometimes so we can get some pics/vids. I dont want to wait months for my first official look at the new cast!

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    stay on target

23. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    I don't know that we'll see a 2015 release. It's a close call. These films, if they do it right, take like three years or something like that if I remember.:_|

24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I always pretended those were their shields. Works great. :)

25. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Close but I think you're off on a few dates. I believe our first casting announcement will drop at San Diego Comic Con, with a follow-up at Celebration Europe. I also believe concept art will be shown at Celebration Europe as well, why have two designers there if not to show at least a little something. I don't expect the actors playing new characters to be announced until September or so, but the character names could definitely be announced at SDCC or CE this summer.