main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Project Greenlight Three

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by pinklightsaber, Feb 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinklightsaber

pinklightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2002
    Well, it's that time of year again: Project Greenlight time! This year it's going to be aired on Bravo network, so nobody is going to be watching :)
    Rules are the same as last years: Two separate contests, one for screenplays, the other for directors. If you missed last years PGL, two "gay" coffee shop guys won for best director (at least they were funny, at the start) and a lady won for best screenplay. The result was a sappy, boring, movie, that (once again) played out like a "back to school special" on ABC. Ultimately, I would suggest entering the director contest and NOT the screenplay contest because their is a high chance if you do have an awesome screenplay it will be ruined by whomever is chosen to direct. Granted, this is how most of Hollywood works anyway, so you might as well pretend that you can direct and enter the director's contest, as the director gets all of the screen time in PGL. Genre films are encouraged, but remember, it's a One Million Dollar Budget, that's it! Yes, a lot of us could make an awesome film for a million bucks, but remember also that this is a HOLLYWOOD movie, with unions and the typical b.s. which drives up costs tremendously. Good Luck.

2. DeadEyesSmiling

DeadEyesSmiling Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    This year they are encouraging the screenplays be of the horror or thriller genre. Have at it Braxtan! ;)

3. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    i have no clue about this, except that i kinda know it exists...

could i join? how long would it take?

heres a dumb question... but would i get the million dollars from them or a sponser or smthng or would i have to get it myself?

i dunno... sounds neat.

maybe a link would help :)

4. DeadEyesSmiling

Oct 4, 2003
  5. Bobobear

Bobobear Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2002
    Anyone from the boards willing to submit anything?

6. Tedakin

Tedakin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    I'll submit something, if I have something by the deadline.

7. LtlLake

LtlLake Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2003
    Basic ground rules:

Gotta be 18 years old or older.

$30 Submission fee for each screenplay or scene you submit.

Directors must submit Scenes are no more than three minutes in length.

Screenplay submissions must be feature length.

Scenes can be original works or replications of previously produced works, you do not need to own the material directed, you just have to direct it. (Which means fanfilms are applicable)

The first round narrows the estimated 8000 total entries (usually entires are Screenplays by majority) down to 250 by peers reading/watching submissions and casting votes. The process gets more and more involved with the sponsors after that point and less peers.

The Million bucks is fronted by Miramax and despite all union/professional costs, you can still to a great film for a million bucks, do not be mislead.

I myself plan on submitting a scene for consideration. I'll be shooting a scene that I've directed from Sam Shepard's "True West" (Its a play for those who are unfamiliar)

Greenlight is really a cool experience on all levels, even if you dont submit something, you can become a member of the site and take part in the rating and selection process. Definitely check out the site for all the details.

-Laker

8. DeadEyesSmiling

Oct 4, 2003
    This year, I think that they are no longer having the director entries reviewed by the public. Previously, they have required a digital entry, this year, they want it on VHS.

-DeadEyesSmiling

9. LtlLake

Oct 19, 2003
    this is true, but the official rules state that we will be required to read two creenplays and view three scenes minimum. So Who knows.

-Laker

10. pinklightsaber

pinklightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2002
    Where are the forums for PGL? They were a BIG part of PGL in the past, now there are none? I don't think the turnout for PGL3 will be as great as in the past. It's not on HBO, but Bravo and it's lost a lot of it's popularity since it's last endeavor. Once again, yes it's possible to do a good genre film for a million bucks, just not in the studio system.

11. braxtanFILM

braxtanFILM Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I'd enter to direct, but it seems like this show has ruined the careers of anyone it touches.

I guess I may be safe since I don't have a career to ruin...

12. DeadEyesSmiling

Oct 4, 2003
    Pink, the forums will start up once the contest gets underway and the judging begins.

Braxtan, lol.

-DeadEyesSmiling

EDIT: changed "ha ha ha" to "lol" so people wouldn't think I was being sarcastic.

... funny, I read that edit info and can't help but see it as extremely sarcastic.

13. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Once again, I feel left out in the cold. Just had a read through the rules, and it's still only US residents.

All this UK talent, just sitting around doing nothing. Oh well.

14. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    i entered a horror script in PGL1... even though it was liked by all who read it, they said it would cost too much and it didn't make the first cut... of course i WROTE the thing knowing i could do all the effects on my PC....

DAMN YOUSE AFFLECK AND DAMON!!!!

15. LtlLake

Oct 19, 2003
    "...it's possible to do a good genre film for a million bucks, just not in the studio system."

Pinksaber....(and please let it be known that I only aim to correct and not ridicule this statement)

Are you familiar with the details in producing a "major" motion picture? Studios are interested in one thing: profit (aka spending as little and making as much as possible) How money is spent (assuming expenses aren't going over budget) is the sole responsibilty of the producer(s) and has nothing to do with some generic embodiment of a particular area of the film industry that you have labled as "the studio system". It's not like "well since this film's budget is being backed by a major studio (i.e. Miramax, Warner Bros. etc) that means they are obligated to certain means of expenses that will significantly add to their costs..." This isn't the case.

The reason why so many major films have such astronomical budgets is typically because of something called "Above the Line" expenses. This includes:

Fees to story rights, salaries for the Producer, Director, Screenwriter, and the big one, CAST.

With the exception of mega summer blockbusters which have elaborate sets, costumes, and vfx that considerably add to the budeget in some cases (i.e. Titanic-over $200M, Waterworld-$175M, etc) these expenses are really the only ones that will ultimately have the greatest effect on the budget. The one or two lead actors alone tend to earn anywhere from 8%-25% of the entire production budget, meaning that studios end up being the only ones who can afford to pay their salaries. The investment seeming worthwhile to them becausee the actor's commitment will likely draw big bucks from audiences.

Every other expense is considered "Below the Line" which includes things like location costs, crew, film stock, etc. These things are all very predictable and don't vary much. You also have a great deal of control over these elements depending if you run either a union/non-union set, use high/low profile locations, etc.

So if you get a million bucks from Miramax to make a professional film, will such pressures force you to take on expenses beyond what you as a filmmaker would normally spend? Well, yes because you're going to have to shoot on 35mm not MiniDV, and you're going to hire a professional crew and not your friends. But honestly, the increase in expenses wouldn't be so drastic, that all of a sudden a million bucks doesn't sound like much. A close friend of mine is in post-production on his first professional feature (which included union cast and crew) which is shot on 16mm and had a total budget of $125,000. Honestly, the only place he was truly limited was the caliber of star he could cast. His lead actor is Will Hornef (he played the snotty little leauge baseball player in "The Sandlot", the kid is 25 now), he's small beans by comparison to major actors, but will add some credibilty to the movie for a small salary. If he casted two major young stars in the movie all of a sudden you've got at least a $30M movie you need financing for as opposed to the much more attainable $125K (Funny, the average major film costs $45M nowadays) The director is Ti West, and hes 23, the film is called "The Roost" Feel free to check it out on IMDB.

Bottom Line: It is VERY possible to make a good or great film in the "studio system." Studio affiliation has either little or nothing to do with budget and expenses if you dont want it to.

-Laker

p.s. I personally think PGL will do better on Bravo, its now accessible to us non-HBO subscribers. I also don't agree that it "Destroys the careers of everyone it touches"...for the record :) And sorry bout the five edits, I should use PREVIEW when I proofread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.