main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NSWRPF Archive Project Legacy

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by DarkBlade323, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkBlade323

DarkBlade323 Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    OOC: Welcome to Project Legacy! This is an RPG inspired by both King Kong films and "The World of Kong." You (the players) will take on the roles of members of the scientific and academic communities who have been offered a once in a lifetime opportunity: Membership on the Project Legacy expedition to the newly discovered Skull Island. The year is 1935, two years after the disastrous revelation of Kong in Manhattan, and Carl Denham has gotten enough funding to return to the island with a team and begin vital research. Pack your boots and safari gear (don't forget the mosquito repellent) and get ready for the ultimate adventure!

Rules

1. The GM has the final say in all matters concerning this RP.
    2. Obey the TOS.
    3. NO GOD MODING! No one, especially in the unforgiving world of Skull Island, is invulnerable. Expect to get dinged up a bit.
    4. No controlling of NPCs. That's what I'm here for. You guys just worry about your characters.
    5. All character sheets must be PMed to me for approval prior to being posted.
    6. Be decent to one another. We're all here to have fun, so let's keep things civil.
    7. Please make use of the OOC, IC, and TAG format (but do keep the OOC jabber to a minimum).

Legacy of the Venture

In 1933 Carl Denham shocked the world when he unveiled King Kong to a stunned crowd at the Alhambra Theatre. The twenty-five-foot-tall ape delivered the scientific community a one-two punch that sent it reeling with the impact of this incredible discovery and susequent tragic loss. But Kong was just the beginning.

An entire island, bursting with prehistoric wonders, existed. If Kong had shocked the scientific world, Skull Island's emergence from the shroud of legend into reality shook it to its core. Not since Columbus's discovery of the New World had mankind been offered such an opportunity to explore a land trapped in time.

[image=http://mag.awn.com/issue10.09/10.09images/kong202_KingKong-islangBrid.jpg]

In the wake of the island's unveiling, the universities and private orginizations across the planet fumbled to dispatch teams to investigate and catalogue its wonders. The race of the century was on. Rival expeditions fought for exclusivity and justification, each asserting its own legal standing to be first on the island. Only a handful of two-dozen expeditions successfully made landfall, and -of those- half were woefully unprepared for the terrors that awaited them.

Skull Island ate expeditions with all the appetite of the ravenous dinosaurs that ruled the landmass in Kong's absence. After a year of disastrous excursions and tragic loss of life, a properly prepared, jointly managed and funded effort was finally organized by the three biggest interested concerns. Lead by Carl Denham, this three-month expedition set out to systematically exlpore and document the island.

Project Legacy
    -as it was called- suffered its own share of mishaps and attrition, but it was a far cry from the earlier, ill-founded attempts. The most important realization of this 1935 trip was understanding that Skull Island was too new, too strange, and, above all, too dangerous to explore and study in so short a space of time. With countless discoveries of new species and new behaviors every day, it became painfully clear that decades of study might scrape the surface of what the island had hidden from the world for so long. Project Legacy was expanded to a long-term study, with annual expeditions; the long-term goal was the establishing of a permanent base of operations on the island.

It was during the second incursion, in 1936, that the truth of Skull Island's geological fragility became clear. A huge earthquake sank one part of the island, killing five team members. After careful exploration by a team of geologists, the expedition realized that Skull Island was a doomed oddity, a scab on the earth's crust that was about to be scratched off.

Kong's brief appearance and destruction in Manhattan in 1933 paralleled the discovery and lo

2. Zethyus

Zethyus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2006
    GM Approved

Name: Harmon Weslowski
    Appearance: [image=http://www.kinoweb.de/film2001/FindingForrester/pix/ff6.jpg]
    Inventory: A few test tubes, magnifying glass, round spectacles, journal.
    Background: Famous Polish scientist Harmon Weslowski is famous for his accomplishments in creating new compounds and medicines. He is astonishingly fascinated with the world of science, and loves new experiments.

Over the years, he has grown to be a bit obsessive-compulsive, afraid to get too dirty and always looking for something to clean. However, this does not get in his way of being friendly and kind to others.

3. tott_doneeta916

tott_doneeta916 Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2006
    GM APPROVED

Name: Adam William Hunter

Appearance:
    [image=http://fs4.deviantart.com/i/2004/192/b/a/The_Scientist.jpg]

Inventory: Binoculars, journal, scalpel, tweezers, glass vials, microscope, magnifying glass, smoking pipe, matches, tobacco.

Background:

Dr. Hunter is an adventurous biologist who has one thing on his mind... Dinosaurs. His whole life's work revolves around the discovery of fossils. He was working as a professor at the University of Pennsylvania to be near his team of paleontologists when he heard about King Kong and one such expedition lead by Carl Denham to the mysterious "Skull Island". Usually newspaper tabloids don't catch the doctor's eye, this one did however because in it the director mentioned dinosaurs being on that god foresaken island. With that Dr.Hunter exercised his dialing finger and got into contact with this Carl Denham. Carl then told him about his new expedition... Dr.Hunter knew... There was nothing in this known world that could stop him from going on this expedition.

Dr.Hunter is very ambigious, if he wants something... He uses everything in his power to get it. If he fails, he gets back up and tries it from different angles. Extremely hard-headed, he won't give up easily. Adam is also a perfectionist and was ever since the cradle when he would unknowningly organize his own alphabet blocks. During his teens he developed a sense to always outdo himself, instead of reaching for something within his grasp he would reach for something that wasn't. His "over achieving" and his keen eye for detail made Adam become a tad unbearable to work with, so few did. Dr.Hunter prefers to work alone, no one tries to prove him wrong. Though it seems that the doctor is calm and collected, he is really a "worry-wart" and has frequent extreme cases of anexity. He decided that smoking his pipe is the only way to relax him, though that might not be true... He has trick his body and mind into believing it. Adam is one of those "strong silent" types, he talks when he feels that it is necessary.

4. DarkBlade323

May 15, 2005
    Come on, guys, let's get some more people.

5. Odd_Ball13

Odd_Ball13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 11, 2005
    Can i be a sailor?? if so i will join.

6. DarkBlade323

May 15, 2005
    Sure thing. If you have any questions, just PM them to me.

7. Pheonix_Rising

Pheonix_Rising Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2005
    GM APPROVED

Name: Elrin Vlastinov
    Appearance: Elrin Vlastinov wears a normal suit and tie. He carries his Rifle with him everywhere he goes, saying it's "The only family I have left after the war."
    Inventory: Clothing, Prototype Dragunov SVD(Russian Sniper Rifle)
    Background: Elrin was born on March 1, 1912(He is currently 23). He was part of the Russian, Anti-Kaiser military branch. Two of his brothers were in the war also, and two of his brothers were shot and killed in the war. His personality is surprisingly cheerful for an ex-Podpolkovnik(Sub-Colonel). After the war, he retired from the military and moved to america, where he became a body-builder. he won numerous events, without the use of steroids. He lives in New Orleans, and really like Cajun food.

8. DarkBlade323

May 15, 2005
    I'm bumping this again in the hopes that we'll get some more interest. We need more people! Kong demands it! Raaaaawr!

9. DarkBlade323

May 15, 2005
    OOC: Okay, we're going to start with just the three people we have. We're starting out on the ship in the middle of the ocean, en route to Skull Island. New folks are welcome to join any time, but I'd appreciate it if you did it near the beginning. :)

IC: GM

Captain Thomas J. Spaulding squinted in the brilliant afternoon sunlight and leaned back in his lounge chair on the deck of the SS Minnow, sipping delicately from a wine glass. The British war hero didn't like boating, but it was much more tolerable with a bit of bubbly and the incentive of Skull Island on the horizon. He was an older man, with a graying handlebar moustache and beard. He wore incredibly clean looking khakis, highly polished boots and a pith helmet with a jaunty tilt. Spaulding sang merrily along to the tune of an opera blaring from a record player set up on a nearby crate, earning him glares from the crew of the ship and other Project Legacy members who passed by.

The SS Minnow had been at sea for many days after leaving America, and everyone had grown slightly irritated by the Captain's antics, but Mr. Denham insisted Spaulding was the best in the field of tracking wild game, and a valuable asset to the expedition. Spaulding had spent his younger years in South Africa serving as a captain at a military outpost. When he recieved an honorable discharge, he returned to Britain for a short while, but ultimately ventured back to Africa to open his own hunting lodge, where he earned quite a reputation as one of the best hunters in the region. And so, they were forced to endure the dreadful Englishman on the long voyage, no matter how intolerable he became. Often the more unruly members of the crew would discuss tossing Spaulding overboard while he slept, but a severe look from Mr. Denham was usually enough to silcence their mutterings.

As Spaulding's opera reached its crescendo, his singing (if one could call it that) reached its absolute worst, and many chose to vacate the decks to seek refuge from the noise in their quarters down below. The Captain glanced around and, realizing there was alone, snorted and polished off the last of his champagne. He'd have to see if the cook had any more.

Belowdecks on the [i]Minnow[/i], a few members the crew sat around a barrel playing cards in the kitchen, whilst Dr. John Connor huddled in a corner and scribbled furiously in his diary, hoping to stave off his recurring bouts of sea sickness by distracting himself. The voyage had been a long one so far, even longer when he felt as if hew was going to keel over at any moment. The young American doctor's thin face seemed to have taken on a permanent gree pallor, and he often could be seen dabbing his sweaty brow with a kerchief when he wasn't making notes about his adventures or treating an ill person onboard.

Down the narrow hall from the kitchen there were several small, claustrophobic rooms for the crew and passengers. Standing in the hallway was Mr. Denham, Adam Hunter, and Arthur Wulugaru, one of the team's most skilled biologists. Mr. Denham was talking animatedly to his two companions, describing the natives of Skull Island in great detail. "...Viscious savages," he was saying, a sweaty lock of his dark brown hair dangling in his face. "They murdered two of my film crew as soon as they discovered us. I myself, was almost slain..."

Wulugaru smiled slightly as Carl recounted his adventures. Judging by the accounts he had heard, Skull Island was a sight to behold. It was a pity, he thought, that the last of the great apes had gone extinct. Wulugaru, born into an aboriginal tribe, but educated at a University in Devonport, had developed an a love for studying primates during his studies. He was heartbroken when he heard of Kong's death. As the last of his kind, he took a great legacy to the grave with him, a legacy that mankind would never be able to understand in full.

"...But I didn't lose hope," Carl said, smiling broadly at his courage. "I knew something

10. Pheonix_Rising

Jul 17, 2005
    IC: Elrin Vlastinov

Elrin was having fun, not as much fun as he did shooting german soldiers in the head, but he was having fun nonetheless. He had come up on the deck to look out at the weather. Elrin loved the sea, he often went sailing off the coast of Florida, but that had ended a few weeks ago.

Elrin heard the man behind him. "Yes Sir. It 'tis a goot looking storm. Tell me, how long vill we be gone?"

TAG:GM

11. tott_doneeta916

tott_doneeta916 Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2006
    IC: ADAM HUNTER

Adam followed Dr.Wulugaru as they listened to Carl's tales of Skull Island. Adam admitted that Carl Denham was a odd character when he had first met him in New York before they boarded the SS Minnow. Before that time, Adam had only heard his voice on the telephone and read newspaper tabloids about him... Adam soon discorvered that appearances could be deceiving. In the newspaper articles, they praised Carl as a hero. This man that stood before him in the hallway was no hero, but as fake as any movie set. He talked of his casts deaths as if they were meaningless.

While Carl and Wulugaru laughed at Carl's escapades, Adam Hunter was unusually quiet.

"I fail to see the humor in this story..." , He thought to himself.

Thus far Adam was yearning to be back home amongst his friends. But it was necessary for him to leave, so that he could study the dinosaurs and other life on Skull Island.

"The cost of a once-in-a-lifetime experience I fear," , He concluded.

Adam phased out of thought when he heard Arthur Wulugaru mention his name.

"but Dr. Hunter and I have some work to do before we reach the island." Arthur winked at Adam. "I'm sure that one of the crewmen in the kitchen would love to hear your tale, if you're looking for a captive audience."

Adam could hear some muffled yelling coming from the kitchen, but wasn't paying attention to what was being said.

"Must be off," Wulugaru laughed, motioning for Adam to follow him down the hall.

"Carl," Adam hissed, as he sliped past Carl Denham while following Arthur. Adam turned his head around as he continued on and nodded at Carl, acknowledging where they stood in their relations.

Adam didn't noticed his tone of voice when he said Carl's name, he was trying to be friendly instead of rude. Sure Adam didn't think much of Carl, but he did have to spend an abundant amount of time with these people... It was best to avoid conflict.

"What kind of work did you have in mind?" Asked Adam as he followed Wulugaru through the hallways of the Minnow.

TAG: GM

12. ScaPaCamem

ScaPaCamem Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2003
    I'm gonna send a pm tomorrow.

lol phoenix your character would have been 6 at the end of WWI.

13. DarkBlade323

May 15, 2005
    OOC: Great to have you on board, ScaPaCamem. [face_whistling] I totally missed that age issue... Phoenix, mayhaps you can change it?

IC: GM

"Mr. Denham said about three months," Dr. Connor said, his eyes still fixed on the horizon, where the faint clouds could still be seen swirling and churning, like a living thing. Suddenly, as if coming out of a trance, Connor shook himself. "Forgive my rudeness," he mumbled, holding out a hand. "We haven't met before. I'm John Connor."

TAG: Elrin

Wulugaru glanced over his shoulder and said quietly, "Any kind of work that gets us away from Denham. I don't know about you, but I can't stand the man. He's like most Americans: All talk." He paused and turned around in the narrow hall, seeming to remember who he was talking to. "No offense intended," he added hastily.

"In all seriousness, Dr. Hunter," Wulugaru continued, "I would like to show you something." He motioned for Adam to follow and made his way quickly to his room. Inside, Adam was slightly taken aback to see how the spit and polished biologist had decorated his room. Various aboriginal sculptures and figurines were scattered about seemingly at random, and there was a large dinosaur skull (Adam guessed it was a Rhoetosaurus) sitting on a table next to the bed. Various scientific tools and devices lay about on a desk alongside numerous jars containing a selection of rather slimy looking organs and lizard-like creatures.

"My life's work," Arthur sighed in an almost dreamy tone as he surveyed his room. "This," he said making his way to the desk and throwing a drawer open, "Is what I wanted you to look at." He produced a series of sketches and essays all stacked neatly, and handed them to Adam. The top page read "[i]Megaprimatus kong[/i]" in a flowing script. "Take a look," Wulugaru insisted.

[b]TAG: Adam[/b]

14. Pheonix_Rising

Jul 17, 2005
    OCC: Good luck with the game guys, Imyself have not enough time on my hands, so im going to pull out.

15. DarkBlade323

May 15, 2005
    OOC: Okay Phoenix. We could really use some more (active) players. I'm going to request that this be locked unless I start getting replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.