main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Projects and Stress

Discussion in 'Community' started by DBPirate, Oct 30, 2015.

1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Since everyone's pretty nice around here, I thought I'd ask y'all's thoughts on this situation. My least favorite thing in the world to do is get up and present something whether it be a poster on another country, a powerpoint about a person, a story I made, or even singing a song about history which I sadly have had to do before.

Now another project has come up. I have to remake a scene in Macbeth in a time period randomly chosen by my teacher as well as work in a group of people randomly chosen by my teacher. Since I hate things like this (even though they're never as bad as I think they're going to be---I still stress every time), I can't think of anything without thinking of this project. When I think of TFA: "I can't see that until after this project." When I think of a show coming on: "Well, at least that's a day or two before my project." Stuff like that.

Any advice on how to avoid stress like this? No one else in my grade seems to have a problem with this.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The first piece of advice is: no one can tell you how you work best. Everyone works differently; I primarily go on an internal prioritization system with a modified "first come, first served" email response policy. But, I'm also guessing I'm like 2-3 times your age, so it's never going to be apples to apples. How do you best work? Do you do better with structure and organization? Make a list, or a very rudimentary outline of a project plan, like "Complete scene outline by X date, write Y scene by Z date," etc. Work more creatively? Try and find something that makes the work easier within that structure.

The second piece of advice is: for some people, public presentation never gets any easier. And that's okay! I mean, I present to very, very senior people in my company and it took me years to actually figure out that... I know what I'm talking about! These people want to hear what I have to say! And I still hate doing it, every time. It's going to be awful when you're younger and have less of a control over when/how to do those, but also remember that education is also about pushing your limitations and epanding your comfort zones. Don't be afraid to ask for advice from your educators either; that's what they're there for.

3. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I don't know if this will help, but realize that literally no one will remember anything you do but you. Everyone else will have forgotten about your presentation in a week, at the very most.

I also agonize over presentations. It took me a while, but I eventually realized that even though my brain liked to be a jerk and remind me of all the times I screwed up throughout my academic career, I could not for the life of me remember anyone else's presentations. And so the likelihood that they remembered or even cared about mine? Next to zero.

Juliet316 and DBPirate like this.
  4. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Lots of rehearsal. You are nervous because you are afraid of making a dick of yourself in front of the class. It's the fear of the unknown. The best way to beat that is to practice until you are confident. Practice practice practice. Put in the hours and be prepared.

Juliet316 , Jabbadabbado and DBPirate like this.
  5. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I think dp's on the right track when he says to break the project down into smaller, manageable pieces. If you don't know how to do that, consider asking your teacher or parent(s) for help setting waystation goals on the path to your main goal. These are people who want you to succeed, so they should be willing to help you.

Once you've got a more detailed plan that involves multiple small goals instead of one huge one, only focus on whatever you need to do next. Think of it as being like climbing a cliff--just move one appendage at a time, and don't look down!

Good luck, and if you ever feel like talking about Macbeth, or random time periods, don't be afraid to contact me. I'm a history geek, and I named myself "ophelia" for a reason. :p

Edit: if stage fright is the issue, try practicing your presentation until you can do it in your sleep. Then you can just open up your mouth and your speech will come out, without you forcing it.

Juliet316 , Sarge and DBPirate like this.
  6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, I used to have that element of nervousness or anxiety in front of classrooms of students.

Really the only way that went away for me was rehearsing before hand to get it out and at least letting my half out(if that makes sense). You rehearse it openly and you're halfway there. Pretend there is a crowd.

The other thing that helped was just doing the actual lectures,speeches, etc time and time again.

Now it's habit.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I make presentations semi-regularly, usually in front of the staff at my school or other librarians in my district, and while I have no trouble at all in front of groups of kids, I get nervous before presenting in front of adults no matter how often I do it.

It does help to rehearse and have an outline in front of you and rehearse. I would not overrehearse though, that might just make you more nervous. I have learned to just pretend I am not up in front of people and instead I am sitting down at a table and chatting with them; that makes it a lot more relaxing.

I think dp has good advice and PiettsHat is right, your performance will be a lot more memorable to you than anyone else.

Juliet316 , DBPirate and Master_Lok like this.
  8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Very sound advice here, I can still get nervous around some authority figures and putting myself out there. The law firm I work at is pretty unique in that the partners and attorneys are nicer than most. Of course you'll get the stereotype, but my supervisor did a wonderful thing for me this year. She put me in a position where I am helping a prominent partner on a case several times a day for months. It forced me to come out of my shell a bit and the partner is so grateful for the great job I've done. I've heard this from him personally several times and knowing that my work is helping him and his team on this case makes me happy. It puts me out there, strips me of any fears and makes me an active participant in my department (library.) It's made us, our branch office and this partner look very good. Understanding the team player aspect makes me work harder and completely strips any of the "I" out of it.

DBPirate, since you're working on a team with this, perhaps the weight of having to perform will be a little less. If you can get to know your classmates while rehearsing this project and understanding that everyone pitches in, you might ind it a little easier to roll with because it won't just fall on your shoulders. Humor can also lighten up things considerably.

I applaud you and everyone in this thread who steps up to the plate and gets this done in spite of that fear. It's been said 93% of what we worry about never comes to pass.

You'll do great and TFA will be an a wonderful reward.

9. DBPirate

Jun 20, 2015
    Wow, guys. Thanks for all your great advice! You've probably reduced my nervousness to as small as it can be. Granted, I can never be completely un-nervous, but still. Thank you again! ;)

Feel free to keep the thread open for anyone else, or feel free to close it.

Sarge likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Do you know which Macbeth scene it will be? If so make sure you are familiar with it as it is in the play. That way you'll at least have some starting point about putting it into another historical time.

11. DBPirate

Jun 20, 2015
    Unfortunately, no. My teacher's randomly picking and we'll know some time next week.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, if you haven't read the play in awhile you might want to do so to reacquaint yourself with it. Don't forget the film should be still around in cinemas as well if you want to go that route.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. DBPirate

Jun 20, 2015
    We're actually reading it in class right now and based on how far we are in the play, I think it'll be from Acts 1, 2, or 3.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    What they said. It never gets easier, but you learn to fake it better.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'll second most of the great advice you've just read here, and add one more: that line in your signature, say it out loud and realize that it's true. And if He is for you, who can be against you?

Juliet316 , Master_Lok and DBPirate like this.
  16. DBPirate

Jun 20, 2015
    Thanks, Sarge! Sometimes you just need a good reminder.

Sarge likes this.
  17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Sorry, I'm just fixated on this opening. Are you in the Bizzaro-world JCC? Have you even encountered Ender yet?

As for your dilemma, as dp said, break it down into smaller steps as much as possible. If you focus on the whole thing, you'll be overwhelmed.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  18. DBPirate

Jun 20, 2015
    Okay, I've got some more info. It is going to be 1-3 and 1-5 (the latter of which has barely any dialogue). I don't have many lines, which makes me not as nervous but of course, I'm that kind of person that can never not be nervous. I'm probably presenting Monday.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Just make sure your BRD is done upfront, your BA actually understands the systems, and you've left enough time for thorough testing.

dp4m likes this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Try to reframe it... meaning, turn it into something fun. Make it a comedy set in the early 70s, between a bunch of burnout stoners, or something (that was a purposely outlandish example--don't actually use this idea--what I'm saying is, do the assignment correctly... put the right amount of work into preparing and polishing it, but turn it into something that you and your group can enjoy doing, so that you're all calm and comfortable). I can guarantee you that everybody in your group feels the same way about it as you do... they probably just don't talk about it. Nobody really likes giving presentations. dp is right... the idea is to push you out of your comfort zone and expand your capabilities. This is, I'm sure, an exercise intended to prepare you for college, where you'll have to do this sort of thing often. When the time comes, take some deep breaths and remember that everybody in the room is probably dreading it just as much as you are--so much, that they're not even really going to be focused on you. They'll be in their own heads, trying to prepare for their turn.

21. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Those are fun scenes at least. The witches and one of my favourite Lady Macbeth scenes!

I don't have any new tips to add, but have fun with it and good luck! :D