main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Projects!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Qui-Dawn, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    (yes, yes, I know I could've posted this in my existing Fanfilms thread, but just in case people are loath to scroll all the way through that one....well, this is as good a place as any for it, so bear with me)

Now, then.... As we all know, I'm working on my vignette thing, and so far, still so good....I've already storyboarded out a little bit of it, and admittedly it may not be my forte - but, hey, so long as it gets the point of the scene across, then all's well....and you don't have to draw like Picasso to accomplish that. Thank the Force. :)

But aside from that, and a few minor, though pressing and concerning details that I'll address here shortly - the main thing I wanted to point out is that I am hoping, and planning - that is to say, it is my express intent - to start actual production of the vignette piece....filming, in other words....by mid-August. For sure I don't want to leave it much later than that at all....and, indeed, considering the very nature of the project and the fact it's so short - well, I imagine that it could be done within the space of a day....or maybe two or three days if specific scene lighting is a concern. And I can see the advantages of that too. :)

Now....here is the major issue for me at present, and I am *really* hoping that someone can help me out. I have been trying to get in contact with Saber_Caddy (Jer), but as of yet have been unable to reach him; he hasn't logged into the boards in quite some time....a few weeks at least....and as of yet I haven't received any reply through E-mail directly - oh, help! The reason I'm pressing the issue is quite simple....that I *do* very much require his help and participation in the project....I had him in mind for it from the outset....and I am really, deeply, and *most* sincerely hoping that someone knows how I can reach him within the next few weeks at the absolute most. But *far* sooner rather than later, certainly. :) Because while I am willing to resort to other choices if crunch time arrives and I've not been able to reach him....well, I'd *really* rather it if it didn't come to that, is all! You see what I'm saying, of course. :)

It just that sometimes filmmakers have their first preferences and really don't want to settle for anything else if they can help it....it's all about preserving the integrity of the original idea, and all that. :) But, yes....please, by all means, if anyone knows how I can reach our very own Saber_Caddy, *do* let me know....and I hope to get all this resolved very soon! Phew....

Thanks, guys,

Dawn.

2. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Wow, what a bustling hive of activity we are. ;) You'd better have a good excuse, that's all I've got to say....like getting out to enjoy the splendiferous weather, for instance. That, I think I would take. :D *takes out her riding crop and taps it against her leg* Excuses, excuses....why, I oughta.... :) Okay. Right, then. I did in fact have another small musing today....actually just as of a few minutes ago, but whatever, the timing's not important in this case. :)

Here's my notion.... Has anyone else heard of the proposed fanfilm series "Tales from the Holocron"? I'm not sure if the website is still up; I've not heard anything about it in, oh, probably a full year at least, and for all I know the project's already slowly dying, if it hasn't long-since died, a slow and unfortunate death....but if, like me, you've heard anything about it even in passing - or seen the trailer that Clay Cronke put up for it, and *yowza*, it was a fine one! :) - well, anyway, then you'll know why it's such an intriguing concept.

So, then....what would people say to trying something along those lines? A bunch of short vignette-style pieces, for the sake of experimentation and honing as much as anything else....they could be about anything, I'd imagine; I've already bruited about some notions for further vignette pieces, such as, say....the temptation of a Padawan to the Dark Side....or a discussion on the nature of the Force, or....or....well, heck, one could very easily use something pre-existing as a source of inspiration and then basically give it a SW slant....I know I'm being cryptic there, but if anyone happened to see my post in the Fanfilms thread where I referred to "Buffy", then, well....that would be why. I do have my reasons. :)

But in any case, yeah, I do happen to think that this might be an interesting initial project for us to sink our collective teeth into....kind of like getting our feet wet before plunging in headfirst. Besides, I'd imagine that people would probably feel far more comfortable and assured in tackling shorter projects at first, hence the vignette pieces, as opposed to a feature-length project right away. You see, it's for everyone's benefit as much as my own that I'm proposing all this. :) *taps the side of her head and grins* Genius at work here, I assure you. :D

So....thoughts, anyone? Let 'er rip!

Dawn.

3. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    And why I am continuing to post here instead of in my existing Fanfilms thread, you may ask? Well....first of all, just because I *can*. ;) But more to the point - I know that people are sometimes loath to scroll through a huge series of posts in order to get to the new stuff at the bottom....and maybe this avenue, then, would be more meritorious of success. Can't hurt, anyway. :)

You know you are insanely productive and reaching whole new heights of creativity when.... You haven't even started filming your first vignette project (although preproduction is ongoing) and you're already at work on the script for your second....believe me, that *is* saying something. :) And talk about branching out some....this second one may be, I tentatively posit, somewhere in the range of ten, fifteen minutes long....hard to say at this very early stage....and compared to the first one, for sure it's more dialogue-heavy. Then again, there's *very* good reason for that. And besides....if the concept and slowly working it all through has me getting a bit emotional....well, as I said - surely you know that there's something to it then. And I always like the stuff that can pique that kind of reaction. :)

Ah, to be so prolific....truly, there is nothing better! :)

Dawn.

4. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Qui-Dawn, if you wish to abandon your other Fanfilm thread, please lock it (perhaps ending it with a link to this thread?) so it can join other redundant threads and be auto-pruned.

If you prefer, you can lock this thread instead, but two threads on the same topic on the same forum is considered quite redundant by both the FanForce and Jedi Council admin staff.

- Rani

5. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, this thread as I understand it, and intended it, is not just for fanfilms; I think it would be a good outlet for whatever project people may be working on, and then choose to spout off about. Costuming, perhaps, or prop-making....whatever would strike one's fancy. Yes, I've been mentioning fanfilms myself because, well, that's where my major yen seems to lie. But it is by no means the *only* thing, and this thread in particular is hardly exclusively about that in any case - so as I intended it from the outset, I don't think there need be any concern about redundancy. Whatever else people may be working on, they needn't feel shy about speaking up and proclaiming it proudly - and I just thought it'd be nice to have a thread devoted to those outlets that we do so dearly need. And, besides....whatever gets the collective attention of all is, for sure, only a good thing at this point. :)

Dawn.

6. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Ah, thank you for clarifying, Dawn. :) This thread, then, is for discussion of any and all projects, including fanfilms. Good idea.

I've posted a link from the Fanfilms thread so people understand where that discussion is being continued, and asked YJN to lock it so it doesn't get any longer and too tedious for others to scroll through to read to the bottom, as that was one of your concerns you mentioned.

So what projects are other people working on?

- Rani

7. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Oh, hey, I meant to ask.... Might anyone be interested in reading the stuff that I've been doing on this Episode II RP I'm involved in? It's really been flying along full steam ahead ever since its inception, and it's a truly remarkable thing....I swear it truly is *the* singular best RP out there, we're flourishing like mad....and *I* think we blow everyone else out of the water. :) Ha!

But, yeah....I'd certainly love to share some of my stuff with you (and the only reason I focus more on that is because....it's....well, you know. Hopefully it would be of at least *some* interest even to the more jaded - !!! - folks) - it would really be my pleasure....would anyone be interested? *pleading look* I like to share!

Dawn.

8. Master_Dao_Rin

Master_Dao_Rin Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2002
    This is a role-playing project? Sure, shoot it my way and I'll do what I can to help.

9. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Erm, no, I think perhaps you misunderstand....it's okay, no harm, no foul. All's perfectly well. :) What I was actually wondering was whether people wanted to read the stuff that we're doing in this RP, just, you know....'cause it's interesting and involving and scads of fun, and all that. As I said, I just like to share. :) And if people would be into reading what we do over there, if it would be entertaining, and so on....then for sure I'd be happy to share it with you all. It's something so very nice, for me, and I like to spread the wealth around there, so to speak....and gladly share what's nice. :)

Dawn.

10. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    I'm....not entirely certain if this should go here, but oh well....where else is it to go, if *not* here, I would figure. And whatever's to come after that, as a result, then....so be it. But at any rate, it is, I think - something that will be of great interest to anyone who has access to a proper high-speed 'net connection (Shaw@Home at the very least and a good, solid, up-to-date computer)....another excellent fanfilm offering, and this one is, I think, very easily the best all-around fanfilm that I have ever seen. And given that I have seen a *lot* over the past several years, searched high and low for any and all kinds....well, this is a feat that takes some doing, far as I'm concerned. And it should be viewed as very high praise, this comment of mine, because I do feel just that emphatically about it.

Fortunately, even with the TF.n servers slowdown (unfortunate, but there *are* procedures in place, thank the Force) it should still be easy enough to access this one. It's called "Broken Allegiance", and you can easily get at it from the main Fanfilms page and download it from here directly, or else go to the filmmaker's site itself....which is positively overflowing with additional material anyway, so it's *definitely* worth a look. But as it is....this is a *most* remarkable film, and as I said before, very easily the all-around best of any fanfilm out there. Certainly bodes well to have another strong female lead in a fanfilm, for sure....you can *never* go wrong with that, far as I'm concerned. Hence the fact that I'm tending to write that into my own in-progress projects....I am sure you can well understand why. But in any case - most *definitely*, this one is worth a look....in particular if like me you're that passionate and devoted to the process, and can't wait to get started either.

Indeed, such things as I see it can only serve as an excellent form of education for the rest of us. And certainly I can appreciate them for that, on that level, as much as I do for their other extremely high-quality aspects as well. And I also feel *more* than up to joining their ranks with my own projects, I feel that it is *more* than entirely possible or feasible, it's downright likely and immediate and *now* - and surely that in itself says something.

Dawn.

11. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    (here's hoping this will be seen)

After conferring with our very own sirliam and doing some more prep work and brainstorming, I think I finally have it set, now (I actually did some time ago, pretty much, but now I'm quite certain of it), what, and in one case who, I now need in order to film this thing. Yes, that thing precisely. I'm getting together probably Sunday or Monday with a friend whom I worked with on the "Good Will Hunting" scene shoot, and hope to get his input and possibly even some contacts/networking regarding people and resources....certainly that would be most helpful, especially now.

But in the interim - here's what I need from the rest of you, interested parties in other words....here's what I'm asking. At present, as I have it figured out, I have need of one more actor for the piece, and, oh, maybe two more people to help me with organization, more of the behind-the-scenes stuff....I had the number pegged at two, anyway. But certainly having it be more than just *me* would be very much appreciated, and I can't overstate that enough. :)

And finally....I need access/use of a digital video camera. Obviously, it has to be digital so that the footage can be exported to a computer for tweaking, editing and the few F/X shots that will need to be added. Most if not all digital video cameras nowadays, as is my understanding, come with a Firewire port for just this very purpose. And this is, of course, why regular VHS camcorders won't work in this case....believe me, I have thought this through quite intensely and thoroughly. So - a digital video camera, then. That, and another actor and at least two other folks to help me out in general (and if you have experience in manning a camera, so much the better, though certainly I'll need someone to do *that* in any case....naturally) - that's what I need now.

And with all that being considered - I can say that I intend to have this thing shot within the space of a month or so at the *absolute* most. Yes, I'm aware that I said that before, back around August as a matter of fact; then again, some circumstances unfortunately went *very* badly awry there, something most definitely not of my making or desiring, that's for sure. But I'm *really* certain now of what I very much wish to do. And as I've said numerous times, with this piece being so short and straightforward - it needn't be at all difficult. Home stretch now, then....so are you in or are you out? I await you! :)

Dawn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.