main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Prometheus and the Alien films

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by DarthBoba, Sep 12, 2012.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Kinda surprised there isn't a thread for this already. I own the scores to all five films in the series now, plus the second AvP score. Thought the mishmash of conductors might make for an interesting discussion.

I'll try and come up with some thoughts.

Alien

Alien's score is spooky, resonant, and not very loud except for a few times. I've always found it's opening notes to be very spooky and quite iconic:

Spooky

Alot of the film is like this-it's very dissonant and almost asymetric-sounding. Incredibly fitting work by Jerry Goldsmith.

Aliens, in sharp contrast to the original film, is very testosterone-loaded, and so is it's score. It also has what's become the standard for action movie trailer music, Bishop's Countdown, which is an absolutely incredible piece. I don't listen to it as much as I used to, but I still enjoy the heck out of it:

Bombad Bishop

Alien 3 and 4 I couldn't really find instantly-recognizeable pieces for, so here are their opening titles:

Alien 3 Fox Fanfare and Agnus Dei

I like how the Fox fanfare kinda goes into a scream at the end.

Alien Resurrection

Alien 4's opening is good. I guess. I laughed at the little bug.

Anyway, Prometheus! I adore this score.* Of note:

Life

A Friend From The Past

And Collision

I have the 2nd AvP score as well, but can't remember much about it. Only saw the film once and have zero desire to watch that again.

So..thoughts? Angry rants? Blank stares? :p

*It rhymes.

Yunners likes this.
  2. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    I must admit, I nearly cheered in the cinema when the Alien suite played during Wayland's mission briefing at the start. It was a stroke of brilliance.

DarthBoba likes this.
  3. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah I really enjoyed hearing it again. Perfect timing and best of all, the rest of the score is its own score.

4. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    I loved James Horner's early work, especially Wrath Of Khan, Aliens and Willow, but I'm glad he wasn't brought in on this. He's getting too distinctive. I had not idea going in to Avatar that James Horner did the soundtrack, but after hearing a few certain notes being played, it became pretty obvious. I still can't decide if that's a good or bad thing.

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I haven't seen Avatar since release but in hindsight you're correct. FWIW, most musicians do tend to get repetitive-you can hear what eventually becomes Leia's Theme in the opening credits to Fiddler On The Rooftop-but some are more repetitive than others :p

6. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    Yeah, John Williams can be guilty of that too to a degree. Especially the Minority Report soundtrack. The car factory fight music might have well have been lifted from AOTC.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've definitely noticed repetition in Hans Zimmer's work. There's one particular track in The Rock that may as well have been the POTC theme.

Anyway, I really liked the score for Prometheus. Really hearkened back to the score for Alien. The trailer music was especially good, whatever that repeating alarm/whine/scream one was. I always prefer the more horror-oriented Alien films over the actiony ones.

8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I actually didn't think there was much of a resemblance between Prometheus and Alien (besides, obviously, Friend From The Past), actually. Prometheus has alot more brass to it, for starters.

I prefer the more horror-oriented films, as well.

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Marion's Theme/Han & Leia's theme.

Yunners likes this.