main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Prometheus Binding: Purge Final Chapter and Epilogue......3/20....This is it...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by rocketscientist, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2005
    Hello All,
    The angst is moderate in this post despite initial appearances.

There are a couple of illustrations for the previous chapter if you want to check them out. I'll probably be doing one for this one as well - sorry guys - can't seem to help it.....

Chapter 10

I tarried not to tic my sandal shoe
    But haste, post haste, through air my winged chariot flew.
    Prometheus Bound, Aeschylus

The wind howled like a lost soul. It stole his breath and lashed his flesh.

What there was of it.

His robotic hands clutched at the dry, ashy ground.

He huddled, but could not warm himself. He raised his eyes to the sky. It was dark and roiling with noisome colors.

It reminded him of Mustafar.

The screaming wind threw ashes in his face. He choked on them. He couldn't breathe.
    He tried to rise but found that he couldn't - he couldn't catch his breath.

He gasped - nothing came. His laboring lungs could find no air - only ash.

'You're going to die,' the thought came unbidden. 'You must leave this place.'

'How...?'

'There is only one way out...'

He winced at the thought.' I can't...' He shut his eyes tightly, clutched his head with his cold durasteel digits.

'Die then. I will not save you.'

He couldn't breathe but strangely he felt at peace. Perhaps it was all for the best.

Something fierce and hateful rose within his chest then, clawing to escape. "I will NOT die!" it howled. The durasteel hands turned into claws, driving him inward.

Lips writhing over clenched teeth, eyes screwed tightly shut, he faced what was within.

The vision of the girl with love welling in the dark pools of her eyes hung before him like a window into another world.

Her look scalded him.

With a sob, he forced his way past and found himself on the floor of the underground tunnel. Vader's body shook with the sobs he couldn't get enough air to complete.

For he had loved her too.

---------

Karina held tightly to the stranger's arm as she ran with him down the endless paths of the tunnels. Her mind was a whirl of conflicting emotions. Simple amazement not the least.

And sheer gratitude.

Perhaps this long night was soon to end.

"Where are we going?" she asked as she trotted beside the now limping old man.

"There is a starfighter not far from here your Majesty," he puffed through his teeth, obviously in pain.

"Karina," she corrected, slowing in deference to his discomfort.

Jed Pors slowed as well, but warily. Pain or no pain he would not be easy until they were away.

"Who are you?" whispered the girl.

"My name is Pors, your Majest- uh, Karina. Jed Pors." He gazed at the girl as he walked. He felt tremendous sympathy for her, but also great respect.

'I'm surprised she made it,' he thought.

"It will be over soon, child," he said.

He deeply regretted his words when he heard the sound of infantrymen's boot treads echoing in the tunnel.

------------

Vader pulled himself upright to lean against the wall of the passage. By holding certain broken circuits with his hand he was able to take in a little oxygen. Not much, but enough to keep himself alive - for a little while.

It would be enough - he willed it to be so.

He briefly glanced at the bodies of the fallen Jedi. Their heat signatures had faded to a dim glow. Soon they would be cold. As cold as his own limbs.

'Good' he thought.

Slowly, his breath a wheezing hiss, he began to make his way down the passage.

By the time he could sense them he was operating in an almost completely anaerobic state. Through sheer force of will he held himself up. He refused to be found totally helpless. This was bad enough.

Barely holding on to consciousness, he reached out with his senses and called them to him. He had enough presence of mind to be somewhat grateful that it was Cody.

The quasi metallic clatter of their boots signaled the approach of the clone troopers.

Vader pushed himself away from the wall and stood swaying in the middle of the tunnel.

He summoned

2. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Wheeeeee! An update!! [face_dancing]

Oh, can I breathe a sigh of relief now? Pretty please? :p Karina and Jed are safe so I'm going to assume I can let down my guard... at least until the next chapter arrives! ;)

Great story - I was excited to see Cody make an appearance. Nice little bit of history there and I found it interesting to see how he handles the many sides of our favorite Sith lord. Speaking of which, it was fascinating to see how Vader handled his triumph/defeat in the tunnels of Naboo. Very in-character, in my opinion! You're doing a wonderful job showing his ruthless side as well as his efficient, professional, emotionally scarred side.

Lovely work, as always!

3. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I have a feeling that now Vader will be even more detemined to find Karina now... I think he believes that he made a fool out of him, reminding him of his weakness, even if it wasn't her fault.

He was always at the head to lead his men. He never asked them to do anything he would not do himself.

I love how Vader still has the same traits as Anakin. He is still a good leader, and troops are still loyal to him. Though admittedly, failing Anakin didn't mean "early retirement" as it can if you fail Vader.;)

Amazing work as always! [:D]

Ani-maniac

4. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Uumm Funny like "Haha - DV is BAD!" or "Haha what does that silly writer think she's doing?" uumm.. now I'm worried....<wink>

Funny like 'DV is so BAD, he's GOOD'. You know how much I love DV when he's unapologetically evil. [face_devil]

But Jed is 10 times a fool for not killing his enemy when he had the chance. Defenceless be damned. I am of the opinion that you should never leave an enemy behind your back.
    I tend to agree with you and Jed may live to regret his decision - but the fates were at work that day and he and Karina are going to need all the good karma they can get anyway....
    [face_thinking] Never thought of it that way.... [face_thinking]

Nah! I still think he should have killed him. [face_mischief]

With a sob, he forced his way past and found himself on the floor of the underground tunnel. Vader's body shook with the sobs he couldn't get enough air to complete.

For he had loved her too.

You have a very interesting way of defining angst -or rather, the lack of angst. :p

The Commander walked staunchly under the weight of that hand. It was his privilege to so serve his lord. Cody's loyalty was based on more than a clone's natural inclination to follow. He had fought under Lord Vader more than once in the past year. Cody had never seen a more courageous leader. Nor one as tactically and strategically brilliant. Not since the Jedi.
    Now, that's a surprise! :p

There was not one of his elite corps who would not willingly die for him.

Cody knew that very few people aboard the cruiser would ever learn of this. Only the clones would know and no one would find out from them.
    Nice characterization there. The clones have no concept of morality - right and wrong. The limits of their consciences are defined by the ability to follow orders. But they can admire bravery, military brilliance. I don't doubt in the least that they were every bit as fiercely loyal to their Jedi Commanders and Generals even after murdering them.

First blood," was all he said.
    :( The end of innocence for Karina.
    I was afraid that Jed Pors was about to make a last stand and lay his life down for the Queen. Thank the Force for a little respite. :D

5. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Oh, my you just never fail to see inside the shattered heart of Vader, do you?

The vision of the girl with love welling in the dark pools of her eyes hung before him like a window into another world.

Her look scalded him.

I was so taken with the whole scene of Vader being torn to shreds emotionally and physically (?I can?t breathe??) and then recovering ? more or less - by the sheer force of his will. The image of him in that tunnel - shattered, fighting for breath - is almost impossible to shake off. In a way, the certain matter-of factness with which you presented the scene (lovely language notwithstanding) only added to it potency. The events ? the insights ? speak for themselves.

The addition of Cody?s perspective on Vader was terrific.

They had seen Vader wounded before. Even then he would never relent, nor would he demand preferential treatment in the field. Despite his obvious medical needs he would use the same medics as the troops if possible. He was always at the head to lead his men. He never asked them to do anything he would not do himself.

There was not one of his elite corps who would not willingly die for him.

To me this passage shows, as much as any interior dialogue, just how much of Anakin remains inside this twisted creature.

And then there is Jed! Straightforward, matter-of-fact, heroic-without-making-a-big-deal-of-it Jed!

'But you don't even know if she can fly it,' he thought, uncomfortably.

Well, that was it. He would just have to live.

There?s a need greater than his own, so he just has to live. So he does! No shadows in this one? what a lovely juxtaposition with Vader holding on to life almost out of spite for death.

"Have you ever used a knife?" he asked.

"In practice."

"Come closer." he slipped the belt around her slim form and cinched it tight.

So simple. So straightforward. So?real

And he gave the young Queen his precious knives without a second thought.

?First Blood?

Simple and perfect.

He also knew why he was still alive.

He knows! He does know! I don?t know why I?m
    so excited, but I am?.:D

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Ouch ouch ouch!

In this instance you could almost feel sorry for Vader!

Then again...

[face_laugh] Oh Jed, you are too funny. I love his ironical outlook on things!

Again, it's the little passages - insights - that make this so immesnsly readable.

Once again [face_laugh][face_laugh]

Poor thing, but qUEEN OR NO, she still IS...

And here we see what seperates the cowardly from the corageous, the allowance of some tears, then the push ever onward...

More soon I hope!

7. jedi-isis

jedi-isis Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2005
    Although a week late for posting, this chapter is a significant addition for which I happily waited. You never disappoint with your wonderfully creative style and closely projected images. When you released the snippet I could not help but visualize Vader through the intense agony, loss, resolution and final triumph over this spiritual weakness. Sympathy is not needed as he seeks to bind his two hearts and minds together as he is holding this damaged armor together by sheer force of will. His careless disregard of the two fallen Jedi is another step down the endless path of darkness. Your integration of the clones as fighting force, bodyguards and only family left to Vader prepares us for the loyalty he will generate when he will give his all for the future of their existance. No more, no less than what he would do would he ask of them. My fondness for Cody has been reinforced by you delegating him as the Dark Lord's confidant, physical crutch and defender. And as usual, no questions asked.

What can I say about your Jed? Just like the steadfast tin soldier, though not romantically, resourceful, modest, undaunted, practical and honorable. As for Karina, this child Queen, reality is buffeting her right and left as she tries to assimilate all the events she is encountering. Bravely she follows her mentor through a series of physical challanges , the race away from the carnage to her first battle and first kill. Her emotional breakdown now will only make her more resolute.

Vader allowing the escape was not done out of compassion. His motives are never done without purpose.

An important and insightful post rocketscientist@};- .

8. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
    VA_Parky
    Oh, can I breathe a sigh of relief now? Pretty please? Karina and Jed are safe so I'm going to assume I can let down my guard... at least until the next chapter arrives!

I think they are safe for the time being.;)

Great story - I was excited to see Cody make an appearance. Nice little bit of history there and I found it interesting to see how he handles the many sides of our favorite Sith lord. Speaking of which, it was fascinating to see how Vader handled his triumph/defeat in the tunnels of Naboo. Very in-character, in my opinion! You're doing a wonderful job showing his ruthless side as well as his efficient, professional, emotionally scarred side.

Parky - glad you liked Cody. He's kinda one of my favs. Thanks for your comments about Vader too. In just a minute you'll see more...

Ani-maniac

I have a feeling that now Vader will be even more detemined to find Karina now... I think he believes that he made a fool out of him, reminding him of his weakness, even if it wasn't her fault.

He's never going to forget her that's for sure. He may have let her go this time but if she shows her face again she's in for it. Somehow I don't think that will stop her though....

I love how Vader still has the same traits as Anakin. He is still a good leader, and troops are still loyal to him. Though admittedly, failing Anakin didn't mean "early retirement" as it can if you fail Vader.

I think he may actually be a little more tolerant toward the clones than the Imperial officers. He may have more in common with them.

Amazing work as always!

Thanks!:)

leia_naberrie

Nah! I still think he should have killed him.

leia - just for you....

He woke with a start. The chono on the wall told him that it was the middle of the night.
    He wasn't surprised.
    He hadn't slept well since he'd gotten the news about Alderaan.
    What was Karina thinking, he wondered. Although he knew it was foolish, he hoped somehow she hadn't heard. That she was flying for the resistance in blissful ignorance.
    That of course was laughable. The girl was nothing if not well informed.
    He smiled at the thought of Karina as a girl. She hadn't been that for many years.
    It may have been the only time he smiled that day.
    Getting stiffly to his feet he walked to the freasher. As he splashed water on his face he gazed at his reflection. His white hair was beginning to thin.
    "Why?" Jed Pors asked the man in the mirror."Why in the seven hells didn't you just shoot!"

;)

You have a very interesting way of defining angst -or rather, the lack of angst.

Yeah well....[face_mischief]

Now, that's a surprise!

Heh - I know!:eek: [face_mischief]

Nice characterization there. The clones have no concept of morality - right and wrong. The limits of their consciences are defined by the ability to follow orders. But they can admire bravery, military brilliance. I don't doubt in the least that they were every bit as fiercely loyal to their Jedi Commanders and Generals even after murdering them.

Well you know they're pretty young - 'bout 10yrs - right? And yes I think they very much admired the Jedi. But I also think their life experience didn't include the possibility of questioning an order. Vader knows this as well. But it may be that many of them - like Cody - may begin to develope a sense of personal loyalty. Could cause him some problems later on...

I was afraid that Jed Pors was about to make a last stand and lay his life down for the Queen. Thank the Force for a little respite.

Remember you said that after ch.11....'k?

geo3

Oh, my you just never fail to see inside the shattered heart of Vader, do you?

I am trying to .....

In a way, the certain matter-of factness with which you presented the scene (lovely language notwithstanding) only added to it potency. The events ? the insights ? speak for themselves.

Tha

9. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
    Hello All, here is the next chapter in Prometheus. I would like to say that I hope you all enjoy - but I'm not exactly sure that 'enjoyment' is the proper term for this birdseye view into the inner world of our favorite supervillain. As I'm fond of saying - no one is a villain in the theater of their own mind.

Perhaps this is a look at why.

BTW - fair warning - the angst meter started smoking and is sulking in the corner. It may not ever work again....

Many thanks to Hansgirl for all her help.
    There are a number of references to events that Anakin in 'Embers' recalls of his time as Vader...

Chapter 11

Wherefore thy long watch shall be comfortless,
    Stretched on this rock, never to close an eye
    Or bend a knee; and vainly shalt thou lift,
    With groanings deep and lamentable cries,
    Thy voice; for Zeus is hard to be entreated,
    As new-born power is ever pitiless.
    Prometheus Bound, Aeschylus

'Failure.'

Lord Vader was alone but for the insect-like droids that attended to his damaged respirator. As he lay naked on the brilliantly lit examination table, they hovered and scurried over his body.

He stared past the intubation mask on his face to watch them move about in their inexorable intent. They were repulsive, but it was better than closing his eyes. When he did he saw things he did not wish to see.

He had failed.

What was his victory had been lost because of one thing. His weakness.

Vader gasped in pain as the med-droid lowered its bulk over his chest to disgorge the tiny operators that would enter the circuitry inside what was left of his lungs.

He could feel them moving down into the bronchi. They were not gentle. There was no way to do this gently - but he did not want the drugs that would ease the pain. He'd had enough as it was and physical addiction was a weakness of human biology.

He could not afford weaknesses.

He groaned involuntarily as the circuits were replaced but all that could be heard was a strangled rasp. Not that that it mattered to the droid. It monitored his vital signs and proceeded, uncaring.

'Failure.'

Vader grasped the table in a durasteel death-grip as the tiny droids synced the electro-stimulation that forced oxygen into his lungs with his heartbeat. His chest felt like it was being ripped apart from the inside, slowly.

The real pain began as his collapsed lungs filled completely with the conditioned oxygen that he needed to breathe.

It was not really possible to scream with an intubation tube in his throat, but his body did its best.

'Meditate,' a coldly aware part of himself thought. 'Meditate upon failure.'

------------

When the droid had finished its work it collected its tiny children for sterilization and storage. Retracting into the ceiling of the room it folded its limbs in on itself and deactivated.

The glaring light dimmed to an output more suitable for human eyes.

The tube had been removed from his airway and Vader was able to breathe on his own again, after a fashion. He still wore a light mask over the lower half of his face to condition and sterilize the air in the room.

Although a massive dose of antibiotics had destroyed any pathogens in his system, it had also left him with a sickened, hollow feeling. Or perhaps it was just the after effects of the pain.

A service droid waited by the head of the table. Its appearance was as stark and utilitarian as everything else in the room. Completely devoid of any pleasing coverings, it resembled a cross between a human skeleton and a suit of clone armor. Vader had designed it himself to meet his few personal needs. Although it ran many advanced algorithms, it did not speak and he never gave it a name.

As he weakly raised his own robotic hand the droid moved to offer assistance. Their mechanical digits entwined briefly as he was hoisted into a sitting position.

Swinging his legs off the table he eased himself unsteadily onto his feet. Grasping the droid's forearm for support he walked slowly from th

10. jedi-isis

Aug 11, 2005
    Oh, rocketscientist what can I say but that your Muse for this installation was definately, Melpomene for angst supreme. Telling you that you have outdone yourself with this chapter is an understatement to say the least.
    I went to the site during my lunch break at work and found your post. Half way through, I could not continue or my co-workers would have noticed my distress. This has the most agonizing description of the maintenance performed on what was left of Vader's human frame. I was trembling and my hands were sweaty with residual horror. How clinically unconcerned the medical droids while repairing and cleaning his mechanics. I remember some references from Embers dealing with this procedure and had chills then. Meditation on failure his only recourse to abide the horrendous pain. The vision in the Wood lifted the veil of the inner Anakin causing the violent reaction which called for a drug induced slumber. Finally having his Master grill him for answers through a mental reaming and his sadistic threat of making an example, brought to mind another startling quote ("E") concerning Padme's death "....when she? when I thought? I short-circuited my respirator. He expected it, he had droids watching me. He threatened to install a control implant. Or parade me around brain-damaged, as an example to his other Hands. After that, I didn't wonder or question. I followed orders and executed them flawlessly." The final thought about the child not surviving gave me pause that there is disappointment in the mind of the Master. And what subtle punishment will he inact upon the head of his apprentice and the where which caused such consternation. More talented outpouring in this chapter shows the degree of growth you are giving this epic. What will you award your readers in compensation for this angst? I am looking forward to the next installment, angst or no.
    More brilliant than usual@};- @};- @};-
    Edit
    My dear talented artist as well!!!!! How could I have missed that stark sketch of the repair procedure? I am gasping in total dismay. The painfulness is almost palpable.

11. Ani-maniac

Jul 5, 2005
    I really enjoyed this update! You put so much meaning and symbolizm into every word. Not to mention angst, lol. :D

=D= =D= =D= =D=

As he continued to stride, nothing disturbed him. The sun was bright, the landscape was lovely. Of course he could feel none of it. But then neither could it hurt him.

'The force does not love a machine...' the accusation fell flat. He didn't care. He didn't really care about anything - the beauty of being a machine.

It is really almost like part of him longs to be human, but at the same time, he wishes that he didn't have to live with emotion or regret. It shows so beautifully the conflict in him.

"You are young Lord Vader," Sidious smiled with a vile humor that was if possible more terrifying than the scowl, for Vader knew what it meant. "This weakness will soon leave you. Unless of course you render yourself completely useless to me through your own action. But even then I'm sure I can find a way to keep you alive."

I loved this line for a few reasons. Sidious really seems to be telling Vader that if he tries to kill himself, he will keep him alive anyway, and he'll probably only be worse off than he is now. And, it also made me wonder if Sidious, at one time, was the young one with "weakness." [face_thinking]

His master owned him more surely than the diminutive Watto from his youth.

At least Anakin understands that. Perhaps that is part of why he so desperately wanted to find Luke in ANH. Not only to have his son with him, but also so that he could be free himself.

Again, an amazing update! [:D]

Ani-maniac

12. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    AS the "angst meter" smolders quietly in the background...

Such a sad, and yet poetic post, Poor poor Anakin/Vader...

He groaned involuntarily as the circuits were replaced but all that could be heard was a strangled rasp. Not that that it mattered to the droid. It monitored his vital signs and proceeded, uncaring.

'Failure.'

Ouch ouch ouch....

13. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    I think you buried the needle on the angst meter with this update.

As I mentioned previously, I think this chapter was definitely your best. Your true talents are really shown in this one as our emotions go through peaks and valleys of turmoil. The story that you are weaving and the imagry that you are creating is magnificant. Excellent update. I love where this is going. Please don't make us wait too long for an update :).

14. VA_Parky

Aug 10, 2005
    Ouch - this one hurt, both physically and mentally. Of course, that means I totally loved it! [face_love]

This chapter was absolutely exquisite! My heart broke for Vader - you are doing an amazing job depicting him. He is still so torn. He wants nothing more than to bury his memories - certainly it would make his life more bearable. And yet, his love is too intense to just let it go.

Your writing is flawless! I'm really looking forward to the next chapter. Where are you going to take us next? I already know I can't wait to find out. =D=

Thanks for the PM!

15. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I'm not exactly sure that 'enjoyment' is the proper term for this birdseye view into the inner world of our favorite supervillain.

I beg to differ! I?m gripped and fascinated, which for me is a very deep kind of enjoyment, and I am eternally grateful to a writer who is willing to venture unflinchingly into the mysterious realm inside Vader?s heart and mind ? especially when it is done so very effectively. Your prose is as clear as a pool.

I simply cannot understand why more people have not discovered this story.

Vader gasped in pain as the med-droid lowered its bulk over his chest to disgorge the tiny operators that would enter the circuitry inside what was left of his lungs.

He could feel them moving down into the bronchi. They were not gentle. There was no way to do this gently - but he did not want the drugs that would ease the pain. He'd had enough as it was and physical addiction was a weakness of human biology.

He could not afford weaknesses.

The weakness/strength, human/machine dualities in this post are not only intriguing, but also enormously satisfying. Vader?s service droid is the perfect representation of how he sees himself ? a tool without the oh-so-human identification of a name: a creature without an ensouled ?self? that cuts down grass like a scythe.

But it makes him angry to be this creature?

'The force does not love a machine...'

:D

?and so, when he can afford to, he tries to live inside of his own body. His human body...

He leaned back in exhaustion. His pale skin almost gleamed in the dark. The front of his torso was laced with still healing scars and although strongly muscled, he was lean to the point of emaciation. Something the body armor effectively hid? breath shallow behind the thin mask, his oddly long lashes dipped low over startlingly blue eyes.

(The reference to those eyes was just? cruel!)

But he knows the truth. His dreams tell the truth.

"I don't want the love of a machine," she whispered and hung her head. Her hair brushed the ground.

"Please, I'll do anything for you. The one you loved left you."

"No," she said. "You're here."

Unfortunately, he isn?t the only one who knows.

"You are young Lord Vader," Sidious smiled with a vile humor that was if possible more terrifying than the scowl, for Vader knew what it meant. "This weakness will soon leave you. Unless of course you render yourself completely useless to me through your own action. But even then I'm sure I can find a way to keep you alive."

?You are a tool,? his cold, dark, implacable Master in effect tells him, over and over again. ?Nothing more.?

Under those circumstances, how can he try to be anything else?

Superb post. Pitch-perfect. I can?t wait for the next one.

The accompanying drawing, as ever, is astonishing.

16. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002

:[face_sigh]:

It's been very hard for me to review this because it just... aches.

It was not really possible to scream with an intubation tube in his throat, but his body did its best.

'Meditate,' a coldly aware part of himself thought. 'Meditate upon failure.'

We never really think about the physical pain Vader goes through as the man/machine. It's easy to forget that when he goes into his bubble to be handled by his med droids... he goes through pain almost no human can bear. or should bear. He's such a wretched creature in a lot of ways. Even when he's at his most horrible.

Vader had designed it himself to meet his few personal needs. Although it ran many advanced algorithms, it did not speak and he never gave it a name.

I really liked the way you flashed back at Threepio without actually mentioning him or directly implying him in this mention of the no-name droid.

As he weakly raised his own robotic hand the droid moved to offer assistance. Their mechanical digits entwined briefly as he was hoisted into a sitting position.

Swinging his legs off the table he eased himself unsteadily onto his feet. Grasping the droid's forearm for support he walked slowly from the room into his sparse living area. His feet clacked heavily on the cold hard floor in time with the other pair of non-human footfalls.

The mental image of Vader's hands twining with the droids... of him being physically aided to stand and walk by a machine... :( So sad. In the end, they are the one thing he can rely on not to betray him.

"I'll never leave you again," he promised.

My throat actually closed while reading this. I cannot... it was just .... :_| =D= Ah.

Darth Sidious laughed. The connection between them was still open and to Vader the sound flayed his consciousness like a whip. The amusement was genuine.

"You are young Lord Vader," Sidious smiled with a vile humor that was if possible more terrifying than the scowl, for Vader knew what it meant.

Sidious is well named, isn't he? He's such a horrible piece of slime. He would think of replacing Vader with his child mere months into the new Sith's apprenticeship. What a jerk. [face_devil]

The image was rivetting.

17. Lirael

Lirael Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2005
    Wow. You have written a side of Vader that I never really considered. It fits in so well with the Vader/Anakin in 'Embers'. All I can say is 'Wow'. I am sitting here feeling this absolute profundity. You have written him so well, his struggle with himself, his pain, his inward torment.

Update soon. Until then, I will meditate on this idea, that was only touched on in Ep. VI, of Vader struggling with his past and his actions. Great post!

18. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Er... more soon? :D

19. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
    Hi folks sorry I've been so long - I'm touched that you noticed! Some replies and then the final chapter and epilogue.

Jedi-Isis

I'm so sorry you had to read this at work! A word of warning - you may want to save the last chapter for at home as well.

"I remember some references from Embers dealing with this procedure and had chills then."

Yes, that is where it came from - blame Athena(ancient and modern) ! <Grin>

"The vision in the Wood lifted the veil of the inner Anakin causing the violent reaction which called for a drug induced slumber. "

He cannot stand his dreams - even in his subconscious he will not look on Padmé's face. All of his dreams seem to be prophetical - too bad there wasn't a Jungian analyst in the Jedi temple! Would have saved a lot of lives!

"What will you give your readers in compensation for this angst? "

BTW - I want to thank you for being a steadfast muse Isis - the very name was a form of inspiration as it evoked one of the myths that I drew from to prompt my writing! Some know how to say what they wish to express with eloquence and some tap into a place in their hearts that utters the truth - and a very few do both - you know who you are.....

Ani

Dear, dear Ani!

I really enjoyed this update! You put so much meaning and symbolizm into every word. Not to mention angst, lol.

How right you are! One doesn't always expect it to be picked up on - I'm glad you did. There are few myths that I haven't borrowed from in writing this story ( and some scripture - if its not too bold to say ). You have a very perceptive mind - especially for someone your age - it shows in your own writing.;)

It is really almost like part of him longs to be human, but at the same time, he wishes that he didn't have to live with emotion or regret. It shows so beautifully the conflict in him.

Absolutely! Not just wishes - he cannot live with it. This is a life or death decision for him.

Sidious really seems to be telling Vader that if he tries to kill himself, he will keep him alive anyway, and he'll probably only be worse off than he is now. And, it also made me wonder if Sidious, at one time, was the young one with "weakness."

Right! And I think that is an inspired comment about Sidious! I admire him tremendously as an adversary ! Someone wondered on a thread that I frequent if there are any fans of his... well in a sense I am - but like a potent spice, he can't be used too heavily. You seem to have that understanding as well Ani. He is not the Wicked Witch of the West. But a rare and unusual villain whose reach spans years.;)

At least Anakin understands that. Perhaps that is part of why he so desperately wanted to find Luke in ANH. Not only to have his son with him, but also so that he could be free himself.

I think so!

Thanks again Ani for your continuing comments - you've been a valuable and generous sounding board!:D

Breezy

AS the "angst meter" smolders quietly in the background...

Such a sad, and yet poetic post, Poor poor Anakin/Vader... Ouch ouch ouch....

Yeah - I would say definitely "Ouch!"

Thanks for all your comments and help with the Boards Breezy - a new writer really needs it!

MasterRev

Yo Bro!

I think you buried the needle on the angst meter with this update.

Yes, we gave it a decent burial..... it served us well....

As I mentioned previously, I think this chapter was definitely your best. Your true talents are really shown in this one as our emotions go through peaks and valleys of turmoil. The story that you are weaving and the imagry that you are creating is magnificant. Excellent update. I love where this is going. Please don't make us wait too long for an update .

Sorry for the wait - Thanks so much for the compliment! I have to say that I've been a bit captivated by some of the recent work around here!;) - Hope the next chapter helps it along( 'cause it helped the next chapter).

[b

20. Ani-maniac

Jul 5, 2005
    Beautiful work!

=D= =D= =D=

Now it remained to be seen who would be appointed to replace those no longer capable of fulfilling their posts. One thing was certain, there would be no more mistakes in the interrogation process.

That does seem to have a way of motivating his officers. ;)

With a negligent wave of his hand, he deactivated the shield, probably in place to keep animals out. The stray thought came to him that they would have liked to keep him out as well, but that was ludicrous. Nothing could keep him out once he conceived the desire to enter.

Vader seems to view himself as something other than human, something less than, and yet more than human, at the same time.

He held up his hand, "Quiet, I will not hurt you". The scream strangled in her throat and he dropped it quickly, realizing what he had done.

It is so ironic that at Pamde's grave, he would almost choke her niece, the way he choked her.

'Is this where I finally succumb?' he thought. 'No Jedi, no foe, no betrayal can do me as much harm as what lays upon that bier. And I created it myself.'

Very true. In the end I don't think it was Sidious that beat Anakin. He had a hand in it certainly, but I think really, Anakin defeated himself. Everything he lost, he lost because of his own choices.

'There is no greater evil than what lies herein.'

I loved this line. =D= It makes me wonder if the "ultimate evil" he is refering to is the darkness in himself, or if he means the goodness in himself. To him, I am sure he views the darkness as good, a way that he doesn't have to feel the pain of what he has done, while love has only brought him suffering.

Hermetically sealed from the effects of decay by not only the shield but by what appeared to be a fine crystalline layer of carbonite - as if a glass effigy - she was as beautiful in death as she had been in life.

Again this is very ironic. :) Padme looks beautiful even in death, and yet, though Anakin is alive, he is the one who looks like death.

It was good that the child had run when she had, nothing would have stopped her screams if she had seen his face. His skin was twisted and hideous with scar tissue and appalling gashes, but his eyes were clear and piercing. His lips, although split and cracked were fine drawn. If anyone had been there to see him, they may have been shocked to learn that this man was young, and had perhaps even been beautiful once.

Very haunting. :)

"I will bind you to these broken stones Skywalker!" Vader gasped, choking on the words, his face hovering just above the pale face of the glass woman. He ran his fingertips across her brow. "You will have no voice!" His lips twisted into a terrifying sneer as he caressed her cheek. "You will have no form! You have seen the last glimpse of light you will ever know! Here you will dwell until all you have done is undone!"

This is very eerie, in that he did dwell there in a way, until "all he had done was undone" because Anakin rose again to destroy Palpatine, in a way undoing all the evil had had caused.

Incredible, incredible work! [:D]

You have a very perceptive mind - especially for someone your age - it shows in your own writing.

Thank you. [face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush] I have really enjoyed this story, and the many layers you put into it. I look forward to the next story you write. [:D]

Ani-maniac

21. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    With a negligent wave of his hand, he deactivated the shield, probably in place to keep animals out. The stray thought came to him that they would have liked to keep him out as well

ha! I wonder why? 8-}

If it hadn't been for his artificial respiration, he could have been mistaken for an especially nightmarish droid that had chosen to power down in a particularly odd position.

[face_laugh] Sorry! But that was just too funny. He is rather like a giant droid, isn't he? Albeit an extremely malevolent droid with asthma.

Oh gosh. The whole sequence where he destroys the masoleum... where he actually kisses her... Wow! That was so scary and vicious and sick and wonderful. :eek:

'Why not just lie down and die now while you have the chance?'

Force knows that that's a really good idea. :( :(

Argh. [face_frustrated] This is just crazy. I'm still reeling from shock. And then I discover that you're ending this story.

My thoughts are just scattered. I can't help thinking of Padme's family, what will they think, how will they fill when they discover her tomb so desecrated? Then the cat - 'hell does not last forever' morale at the end of this fic. Oh stars. I think I'll just come back later when I'm a little less thrown. :(

22. VA_Parky

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh no, it's really over??? *Lays head on tomb of Prometheus Binding and weeps* :_| I'm going to miss this story so - I loved each and every update! What a gripping tale!

I was a mess when Vader went to Padme's burial site. Goodness gracious, that was one of the most emotional accounts I've ever read anywhere!! I had to take a few moments to regroup before I could go back and finish it up. @};-

Rocketscientist, it has been both an honor and a privilege to be one of your readers. This was one of the most beautiful stories I have ever come across. I hope you'll start another sometime soon - I will be in the front row with bells on!!

Fantastic work! Will you submit it to the Archives? It surely deserves to be there! [:D]

23. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    rocketscientist

I'm still in the throws of my quarterly bug but I wanted to tell you I really enjoyed your angsty tale... what a rare talent!

I hope to see more of your work in the near future my dear, along with your wonderful illustraions...

@};-

24. jedi-isis

Aug 11, 2005
    My dear rocketscientist,
    Your opening quote is the essence of the unbreakable set of fetters your Prometheus/Vader will don as he completes this last act that will subjugate him at the feet of the Emperor for 20 years.
    You have portrayed the first step brilliantly. The purge of the interrogation staff and punishment metted out to the clone who let Jed escape.
    Here is the test Vader must take to be fully inculcated, body and soul, into that hellish cage. He did not need Palpatine's coordinates, they are etched in his memory for eternity. Naboo Lake Country, Padme's final resting place. A racing heart, still a sign of that "other" is a sensation unwanted. This burial sanctuary is indeed an exquisite shell and how ironic that the only human he would encounter would be Pooja Naberrie. The child who gleefully romped with R2D2 during his last visit to their home. His terrifying appearance now, in sharp contrast to that beautiful youth of 5 years ago. When she uttered the words "I don't like to leave her alone. She's so sad" I went as still as Vader. Here is the fear he must overcome. The guilt of the consequences of Mustafar and fear of his last weakness.
    This will probably be the final bout of uncontrolable rage to which he will succumb before the icy calm restrains him. Destruction the culmination of all of his pent up emotions. But the riveting scene of his caresses instead of blows, the exposing of his vulnerable face with its devistating scars and cracked lips touching cold carbonite almost destroyed the last of my composure. However, the endearments in his mother's tongue was that straw. I read through filled eyes the ultimate decision, not death, but the irrefutable binding of his soul, that goodness/weakness, the Anakin shadow that will torment him no longer. Now he is empty, a new vessel to be filled with the demands of his Master. Cold, detached, unfeeling...soul-less. The shackles are now in place.

Your Epilogue, however, filled me with a new hope. Karina's development under the tutelage of her mentor. Jed, the veteran, molding her for the battles yet to come. His experience, wit and tales of the past will keep her strength and spirits high. But her revelation of Vader's possible identity as "Skywalker" is the one dread expressed by Jed "....but if it was, the galaxy will suffer for it." You have brought us full circle. Yavin, the fledgling rebel base. What better location for the former queen and ex-soldier to begin anew. The battles against the Empire have truly begun.
    Ah, your Syradan waits as does the carbonite encased figure for that stray thought to bring it back to life.

You have ended this excellent rendition of the Titans of two galaxies, bound by the results of their actions. I am awed by your insight and impressed with your artists touch. Thank you for letting me journey down a path that will lead to a future resurrection.
    Kudos for this outstanding prequel. A thousand @};-@};- @};-

25. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    *Finally, days after reading the stunning last chapter and epilogue of ?Prometheus Bound,? stumbles onto thread and looks around*

Where is everyone?

I think the same thing must have happened to others that happened to me ? their words were blown away by the sheer tragedy and emotion of the ending to this wonderful story?

I really didn?t have any words when I?d finished reading Chapter 12 and the Epilogue. So I went away to think about it, and you know what image kept popping into my head while I was driving or washing the dishes or doing other ordinary, mundane things? Vader walking across the grass toward the mausoleum. I wondered why it was that image, rather than him shattering the crystal sarcophagus, or the frightened child with the flowers, or any of the many other searing images in this exquisite post. So when I was ready to read it again, I went back and looked for clues.

Re-reading, it became clear to me. Every word you set down ? every description you give us - screams ?Vader does not belong in this place.? He is a nightmarish construct in a place of beauty and artistry.

As his shuttle broke through the cloud cover, he guided it toward a park like area of rolling hills, trees and small gardens surrounding ornate buildings? His heart, one of the few undamaged organs in his body was racing - a biological response to stress. He decided that he didn't care for it much. Rising gracefully for one of such stilted proportions, he left the craft.

It hurts me as much to see him there, as it hurts him to be there. I suddenly realized that at no point in the Star Wars films is Vader ever seen outside of an artificial environment. You have shown so clearly why. His very existence is ?unnatural.? He doesn?t know how to act in that place. He cannot be a part of it.

He held up his hand, "Quiet, I will not hurt you". The scream strangled in her throat and he dropped it quickly, realizing what he had done.

:_|

But of course, that is why he is there ? to end the horrendous duality of his existence. To cut himself off from his past, from the nature he was born with, once and for all: the ?true self? that had to face her with his ?true? face one last time?

It was good that the child had run when she had, nothing would have stopped her screams if she had seen his face. His skin was twisted and hideous with scar tissue and appalling gashes, but his eyes were clear and piercing. His lips, although split and cracked were fine drawn. If anyone had been there to see him, they may have been shocked to learn that this man was young, and had perhaps even been beautiful once.

?before he destroyed it forever.

"I will bind you to these broken stones Skywalker!" Vader gasped, choking on the words, his face hovering just above the pale face of the glass woman. He ran his fingertips across her brow. "You will have no voice!" His lips twisted into a terrifying sneer as he caressed her cheek. "You will have no form! You have seen the last glimpse of light you will ever know! Here you will dwell until all you have done is undone!"

The first time I read this I didn?t really focus on the words I highlighted above. I was too upset by Vader?s success in purging himself once and for all. ?How could that be? I wondered? How could he destroy his other side and still find him again at the end of his life?? Only when I went back to the story again did I see that faint glimmer of hope. Like any evil curse, it seems that the curse Vader placed on himself got out of hand; it came true in every aspect.

Be careful what you wish for, and how you phrase your wishes, Lord Vader...

When he stood again, it was gracefully.

As he took in the devastation he had wrought he felt calm. The sense of cool detachment made him feel strong, invulnerable and - worthy.

Lord Vader strode away from the rubble left in the aftermath of his wrath without looking back. As he did so his boots cut through the tender grass like a scythe.

He stood grac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.