main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Promised costume info....

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Cinnea, Sep 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    After the movie at the last meeting, I promised to post the pattern info I used for my Jedi ensemble so people who wanted to make a costume for the party in Richmond could try it. It's Simplicity 5840, and while it isn't a perfect replica of a Jedi costume, it's mighty close and relatively simple to do. I say this not having sewn since 8th grade home ec which was a really long time ago. Also, I got a lot of help from my mom. I've also found a lot of information on how to make SW outfits just by snooping around on the internet - but I was too chicken to try it without a pattern for my first attempt.

I made two changes to the pattern - the sleeves aren't long enough for any self-respecting Jedi Knight or Sith Lord so I added a few inches to those, and the hood has this silly pointy end that you're supposed to stick a tassle on. I just curved the back out and ignored the pointy part (it makes sense when you look at the pattern). Also, my mom and I could not for the life of us figure out the directions for the edging of tunic, so she made that part up. It still turned out really well, for my first try.

I don't know how much help I can be (like I said, this was my first sewing attempt in years and years), but I'd be glad to try and answer any questions people have.

2. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    Thanks Eugenia.

3. JediShaLee

JediShaLee Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    Thanks for the info! I already have the boots i am soo excited. Just needa belt and how to build my saber!

4. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    Ooh thanks! I definitely want to dress up this year, even if I'm not going to the party.

5. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Ken's the lightsaber guru of our house - hours of fun with plumbing supplies and power tools! There's tons of stuff on the internet about making your own - we got ours from a site called something like "Big Yellow Box." Easy as... well, not pie, but easy. He made 3 in a week or so. Not perfect, but again, pretty darn good for a first try.

6. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    OHHHH, I'm building my lightsaber but don't have the tools to cut the PVC pipe.

Help me Obi-Wan KENobi, your my only hope

7. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    I mentioned to Ken after the movie that maybe he could do some sort of workshop-type thing with those of us who are not as technically inclined. I can certainly buy the parts, but knowing what to do with them is a different story indeed!

Thanks for the costume info!

8. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I'll make sure Ken gets himself all registered on these boards, and then he can work out a time to show people how to make lightsabers. (great thing about being married - I can make plans for him!) It wasn't too hard, and we only borrowed a few of my dad's tools - he did an awful lot with a cordless drill and a rotor tool thingy (that's the technical term they use at Home Depot) on the balcony of our apartment.

9. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    the rotory tool is what Big Yellow box says to use

10. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    If the rotary tool is what Big Yellow Box said to use, that's what Ken used. My saber is #4 (only with a rubber thing that goes on the end of a chair or table leg instead of the flat end) and his is a modified #6.

Be sure to get the correct PVC! We have about 8 feet of the wrong PVC in the trunk of the car.

11. Ken_the_CHOD

Ken_the_CHOD Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2002
    The "rotary tool" is also known as a Dremel, which I gather is a brand name. I can give you all tips at our next meeting.

I'll repeat Cinnea's warning about getting the right gauge PVC. I made due with 320 psi; it is far too thick and hard to work with. Get the thinnest gaguge you can, but make sure it will fit over your 1 1/4 pipe.

Also, try to use a hacksaw when you can, since it is far easier to cut in a straight line with a hacksaw. The Dremel is a great tool but it skips around quite a bit, especially on metal. It has no trouble cutting through brass/aluminum pipe or pvc but since the bit rotates at 15,000 rpm, it is very unsteady and prone to wander over the surface of what you're cutting.

If you know anyone with a full blown lathe, let me know!

12. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    I need to find boots for the 19th of next month. My costume is for a Dark Jedi. Please help. Cost is an issue

13. Ken_the_CHOD

Sep 16, 2002
    Aside from some pain from my overly large calves, I'm very happy with the boots I got from these guys for about $55.

http://gprix.com/botdir.htm

Make sure you get the right color!

14. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    Thanks Ken, I found a pair I like for 37.99. Payday can't get here fast enuff.

15. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    So...could you guys translate all that techincal jumbo for me? I know nothing about making lightsabers!

16. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    Hey Ken,

Do you think you'd be able to help me make Scout Trooper Armor for CIII?

17. Ken_the_CHOD

Sep 16, 2002
    I can't but I can send you to the right place. Go to the 501st Legion, which has info and links on all the armor. There's a 501st'er in our area named Cricket who has scout armor, who should be helpful iof you can find her through the 501st site.

Note: This is a VERY elaborate costume. But you will feel appropriately bad ass in it, so it should be well worth it.

18. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    Ok, I think I know what I want to dress up as. Leia in the Ceremonial gown or the Bespin gown. I think the Ceremonial one would be easier to make. Does anyone have any idea if there are patterns out there that are similar to it?

19. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    go to the costume and props forum. I'm positive they will have the answers you seek

20. Darth_Stalker

Darth_Stalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2002
    Well Kam I just checked e-bay you could get armor for a mere $505. While you're at it could you loan me the $700 for the stormtrooper armor?

21. Ken_the_CHOD

Sep 16, 2002
    Don't have the tools? For SERIOUS collateral, I could loan out my Dremel, for a fellow fan only, of course.

If you think you're going to do a lot of this or find a cutting tool useful for other things, Black & Decker makes one for about $40.

22. JediShaLee

JediShaLee Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    Got the patterns!Got the semstress. got the material now if it will just come together!.I sure hope I look cool I will really be upset if I look to dumpy!

23. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Dumpy - bah! EVERYONE looks fabulous in Jedi/Dark Jedi/Sith clothes. I think it's the self-confident strut that comes with the clothes. Or knowing you can crush your enemies with the power of your mind...

24. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    I just talked to my mom. She started my costume today.

I just need to cut the PVC for my lightsaber and i'm good to go

25. Tohrec-Ri

Tohrec-Ri Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2002
    Any advice on where to start for a Jango Fett costume?

Thanks
    Hector

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.