Promised costume info....

Discussion in 'Washington, DC' started by Cinnea, Sep 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    What? No pictures of Police Tape Girl from DragonCon?

This year, there were many brilliant costumes. Stormtrooper with a blasted Ewok. The ever classic Stormtrooper at the Pool. I think there was even a Jawa stormtrooper. 501st is full of creative folks.

Hopefully this will inspire everyone to save their pennies and we can have a Galactic Senate Road Trip next year....
  2. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I still need to finish my lightsaber then try to make some scout trooper armor. I'm going to dragon Con next year. Hopefully we can go as a group and save some money on expenses
  3. Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I have no kids, so I can spend all my money on me and I choose to go to the cons! I'd love to have the Senate be a presence at some of the local cons - I rarely meet anyone from the DC area. Usually it's all NY or PA people. Anyhow, there's 3 in or around Baltimore that are worthwhile - FarPoint, Shore Leave and Balticon (ok, Balticon's totally a literary convention, but I like it anyway).
  4. Tohrec-Ri Jedi Padawan

I think I'll pass on the slave girl, I did see a male "new hope" leia at a con, complete with cigar and beard [face_laugh]

I think I'll try the "death sticks" dealer...

Hector
  5. Ken_the_CHOD Jedi Knight

star 1
    We'd be happy to do a costuming workshop (scary if you guys even suspected how new we are at this) before, at, or after the meeting on the 6th. If that doesn't work, I'd like to hear other timeframes that might work.
  6. fakename99 Jedi Master

star 4
    I post half a swear word and get a warning, but pictures of half-naked people are ok????
  7. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    they were pics of cistumes in a costume thread tken from another costume thread
  8. strangebehaviour Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ok, you guys have it lucky! Those Jedi costumes seem much easier to make than the Princess Leia and Padme dresses...
  9. Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Very easy. That's why I started with the Jedi costume. That, and the robes are cool.
  10. strangebehaviour Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    You are smart! I have always had my heart set on being Leia though. I love the Ceremonial gown. It's so pretty.
  11. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    My mom is makeing mine, I just have to make the lightsaber
  12. Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Moms are the BEST for costume help. If it hadn't been for my mom, it would never have happened. And she only made me promise to wear the costumes for every single Halloween until we died.

You'll find Dads know a great deal about sanding, drilling, welding, cutting PVC, fitting things on other things, and owning tools.

Brothers, well, they just think you're strange. 5 year old nephews think you're cool.
  13. strangebehaviour Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    heh my dad doesn't. He is Mr. Unfix it. too bad too because I want a lightsaber!
  14. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I could get my father-in-law to help but he's in Eugene, OR
  15. Ken_the_CHOD Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was thinking that anyone interested in a Jawa costume needs very little to actually pull it off.

1 (one) brown robe, and the outer Jedi pattern would probably work;

Black covering for hands and face;

Boots of some sort (tennis shoes just don't cut it in costumes); and

Some way to put light up disks under the cowl of your robe.

It's not a bad costume idea. You just have to explain that your dad was a Jawa and your mom a wookie, thus accounting for your height right between the both of them! This explanation also lets you wear fur on your hands, too.

Anyway, one by one:

-- 1 (one) brown robe, and the outer Jedi pattern would probably work;

Get the patterns from someone who's done a Jedi. The costume, I mean. Get your minds out of the gutter.

-- Black covering for hands and face;

Halloween is the right time to get very cheap sheer black gloves (nylon, I think) and a mask of the same material. I have both gloves and mask and think it cost somewhere around $5 all told.

-- Boots of some sort (tennis shoes just don't cut it in costumes); and

You need boots for any kind of costuming. Accept your destiny.

-- Some way to put light up disks under the cowl of your robe.

This is the interesting part. Obviously, you attach them to your head above or to the side of your actual eyes, but someone will need to do some poking around about what to use to make the glowy eyes themselves.

16. strangebehaviour Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I just dyed my hair red. Maybe I'll be Mara Jade for Halloween. It's probably easier than Leia.
  17. Ken_the_CHOD Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, as Mara Jade you can use the jedi robe patterns, a lightsaber and so forth!

But be careful around Eugenia -- she (or at least one of her characters) HATES Mara Jade. Go figure.
  18. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I talked to my mom last night and my costume is almost done. She even made the robe. but the boots i was going to get were sold out yesterday :_| I don't know what I'm gonna do now!
  19. Ken_the_CHOD Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'll ask Eugenia. I have never known anyone who knows so much about shoes.
  20. strangebehaviour Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    there must be other stores that have the same boots.
  21. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    actually they were boot cover things. I can't afford the boots right now
  22. strangebehaviour Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    oh I see. well try other costume stores. I'm sure someone must have them.
  23. Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Mara who???

(Yes, I know, I will get in trouble saying things like that, I always do. But reallly, she whined and complained all thru Heir to the Empire about how she hates him, he ruined her life, she's going to kill him, yet she's had something like 5 years to do it. Dr. Phil would have a field day with her and her lack of focus.)

As for the boot emergency, I'd suggest looking at places like DSW for cheap ones - a friend found the best Jedi boots ever for $15 on clearance. This may be a better tip for women than men. For guys looking for boots, if you can't swing real (translate: expensive) riding boots right now, a friend wears his combat boots and they look just fine.

I can't find any riding boots that fit me properly, so I wear cheapo monster platform boots from Target. I'm not trying to duplicate anyone's costume, so my costumes have their own touch. My point is, don't rule out places like WalMart and Target for elements of costumes, particularly shoes you may not wear all the time.

That's my shoe lesson for today.
  24. strangebehaviour Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    heh heh, you really don't like Mara. She is ok. I'd rather be Leia though! At the rate I'm going, I'm not going to have a costume. :)
  25. Ken_the_CHOD Jedi Knight

star 1
    See? I told you she was wise in the ways of shoes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.