main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Promises and Vows (Ben, Jys) A Vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by rebel_cheese, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Promises and Vows

Setting: Ossus, Corsucant
    Timeline: 44 ABY
    Genre: Vignette
    Characters: Ben, Jysella, Octa
    Summary: Before the war against the Jedi, the promise was made. Three years later, the promise is fulfilled . . . or is it?
    Disclaimer: I own nothing, blah blah blah.

He has been visiting her for the last year or so. Since Jacen, or Caedus, had died. There was a good reason why for this. He needed a friend. He had needed someone to talk to. His father was still trying to fix all of the damage. The government seemed to be hostile towards the Jedi and could begin to suppress the Order. There were so many worries, so many concerns . . . it was nice to just sit down and talk to someone about his feelings, about her feelings, about what would happen in the future.

But it didn't seem to be that way a lot anymore.

He realized that the dark-haired girl he had been befriending was possibly the most beautiful girl he had ever met. Not just the outside, either. She was a kind, firm soul, strong but comforting, who had a way to make everyone around her feel better. She knew what had to be done, but also knew when things had gone too far. She sympathized with people who had been wronged, but had no mercy towards those who were wrong.

She was simply an amazing girl.

That's why he was bringing a gift to her today. Along with a different, sadder reason.

She was waiting for him on the balcony. She was looking down at the jungle below, taking in the evening air. In the distance, the sun was setting, the sky was a canvas of red, orange, and violet. The trees' green was fading into black, and the electrical lights surrounding the Jedi Academy were beginning to activate. One by one, they switched on below them.

She turned towards him and smiled. "Ben," she said casually. Then she paused, as she noticed what he was holding.

"Are those . . . for me?"

"Um, yes," he said dumbly. He was embarrassed now. His throat was choked up. now he was wondering whether he had made the right decision. She was a few years older than him. She probably had someone closer to her age interested in her. Why did he think he had a chance?

She smiled. "Thank you. They're beautiful."

She took the flowers from him and sniffed. "They smell wonderful, too. You really tried hard to pick these out."

He scratched the back of his head, and he couldn't meet her gaze. "I, uh, yeah. Tried, I mean. I, uh, wanted to, um, you know-"

"I had a feeling you liked me, Ben."

She set the flowers down on the railing, making sure they wouldn't tip over and fall several stories below. She came closer, and a sad smile etched across her face.

"I just . . . never thought it was like this. You really like me, Ben?"

"Uh, I, uh, I um, mean, I, uh, yeah, I kinda, um-"

"You do. Otherwise you wouldn't be babbling like a Corellian coming out of a bar."

That hit hard. He looked down, embarrassed. Great, he had blown it. What kind of girl would-

She took his right hand and cradled in her own. His heart thumped hard against his chest as he realized how soft and warm her hands were. He couldn't even babble anymore, all he could do was just stare at her in astonishment.

"It's all right. I'm just a few years older than you, that's all."

"Um, uh . . ."

"Yes?"

"I uh, um, can't really, um, I'm sorry, uh-"

"That's all right, I'll talk then."

He stared.

"You're a wonderful young man," she said as she looked up at the sky. "You've been through a lot. The fact that you've stayed this kind, this strong, is amazing. I'm really glad we've become friends, Ben."

"You, uh, am?"

"Of course! I love talking to you!"

"I um, love you, Jys."

There, he had said it at long last. It had taken him forever to just spit it out, and now that he had, he felt like a great weight had been lifted off of his shoulders . . . but another, greater one, was assaulting his stomach. He almost felt sick now like he was going to explode.

She smiled. "You're a little y

2. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    This began quite cute, but the end is horrible! The more I hear about what happens past NJO, the less I am inclined to read it! Poor Ben and Jysella! Very nicely written, but what an ending! I was tearing up! Not nice!!!!

Good work. :)

3. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Yay, a reply!

The latest canon book kinda inspired me to write this, sort of like the way Betrayal inspired me to write a certain other "Ben is sad over Jedi girl" vignette. I set out for this viggie to be a bit of a tragedy, a vision into what might have been, and what reality is. It's a sign of how much better life could have been but at the same time there's still a small amount of hope at the end, the dream thing Jysella had could still come true someday, if she can recover.

I'm glad you enjoyed the work. Thanks for reading.

4. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Hey, cheese is back! Awesome! :D It's great to see you posting again.

I haven't read the latest canon book (gotta wait another few months for it to come here to Oz) but so far I have to agree with lunetta about the post-NJO books: the latest storylines really make we want to go jump into a nice comfortable fan fic for a while.

This is a great viggie. So adorable at the start, then you turn it so heart wrenchingly tragic. I have to say, I can almost believe Jysella isn't crazy and is being constantly tortured by a bunch of clones. I mean, being frozen in carbonite again and again? That's just cruel, no matter the circumstances. Poor girl. Poor Ben. :_|

Great work, cheese!

5. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Who are you being meaner with, are they the readers or are they the characters?

But it was so artistically done ;)

6. Darthrevan4ever

Darthrevan4ever Jedi Master star 6

May 3, 2008
  7. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Draconarius:

Hey, cheese is back! Awesome! It's great to see you posting again.

It's good to be back, though for how long, I don't know.

I haven't read the latest canon book (gotta wait another few months for it to come here to Oz) but so far I have to agree with lunetta about the post-NJO books: the latest storylines really make we want to go jump into a nice comfortable fan fic for a while.

FTR, I actually liked the latest book quite a bit, this was inspired by the latest book more than being inspired in spite of it, if that makes sense. I like the storyline and the characterizations going on, and something that happens in the preview for the 2nd book in the series inspired the vignette.

This is a great viggie. So adorable at the start, then you turn it so heart wrenchingly tragic. I have to say, I can almost believe Jysella isn't crazy and is being constantly tortured by a bunch of clones. I mean, being frozen in carbonite again and again? That's just cruel, no matter the circumstances. Poor girl. Poor Ben.

According to a recent blurb released for the third book, the only way to keep the insane Jedi from doing harm is to freeze them again and again, only being released to prevent hibernation sickness. Like the preview for the 2nd book, I ran with that idea for this vignette. I wanted to convey the idea that Jysella could be right, by making her viewpoint heartbreaking enough that you WANT to believe her (in fact Ben wants to at the very end and has to force himself not to). You're right, she's in exceptionally cruel circumstances so she could easily be being tortured by a bunch of clones, actors, or copies.

I was not in a good mood when I wrote this. I guess it helped the more tragic aspect of this.

Great work, cheese!

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Lordban:

Who are you being meaner with, are they the readers or are they the characters?

Probably both. :p

But it was so artistically done

I hope it was, anyway. I'm glad you enjoyed the fic.

Darthrevan4ever:

Thank you very much. I'm glad you liked the fic too. =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.