main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pronunciation of ATAT

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by yodaissmallbutangry, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodaissmallbutangry

yodaissmallbutangry Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2006
    I know this has been beaten to death, but it just has to be settled. ATAT was originally pronounced at-at. Not A-T-A-T. In the movie they said "Imperial Walker" and in Rogue they say at-at. Those of you who will talk about ATST and other transport acronyms, I will say this: ATSTs were not named yet when Empire Strikes Back came out. Therefore there were no other transport acronyms to serve as a reference for how ATAT should be pronounced. The commercials for the toy versions of the Imperial Walkers pronounced it at-at. How many of you were old enough to remember those commercials? It was an easy acronym to form into words (sounds right)compared to ATST, which doesnt form anything remotley close to a word. Also there is evidence in the "making of" Empire film where the special effects guy says "where's that AT-AT at?" as a joke. A-T-A-T sounds stupid and nerdy. Would you start calling a laser a L-A-S-E-R or a scuba tank a S-C-U-B-A tank? No you would not. How about MASH? Do you say M-A-S-H? No. Of course if you have pronounced it A-T-A-T all your life, you'll probably keep doing so. But everyone I've asked that is about 30 years old or older calls it an at-at. Because we are cool.

Daniel edit: I would think saying it either way would be acceptable in the Star Wars universe. But Skiara is right, this doesn't belong here in this forum. Check out the link below. You are welcomed to start your own introduction thread here though, enjoy your stay!

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    This doesn't really fit into WNU, since this board is for welcoming people and to help them if problems or questions come up. I would suggest you try SW Community instead. :)

Oh, and welcome to the JC. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.