main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Proof Enough - Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan - vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Proof Enough
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan

Proof Enough

Qui-Gon often wondered if things might have turned out differently. Looking back on his life, on all the years he had dedicated to the Jedi Order, he wondered if he had sacrificed it all, only to find out too late that he had made a mistake. Sighing, he slid down the tree limbs that he had climbed and jumped to the ground below.

It had become one of his favorite spots to come and think, at least on this planet. Why did he still wonder? Shouldn?t he be past all of that by now?

Still? He could not help but think of all the other paths his life could have taken. Instead, he had been set upon this one, the road that had led him to the Jedi. His thoughts still troubled, he walked through the high grasses, letting his fingers trail down. The stalks were a glossy green, infinitely soft against his skin.

From the village on the edge of the field he heard the sound of a child?s laughter and he smiled when he heard Obi-Wan?s answering whoop. He?s still half-boy, Qui-Gon mused. It did his Padawan good to shrug off the mantle of responsibility he wore so enthusiastically. Sometimes, Obi-Wan forgot to simply be young. He was often too much the Jedi, too seldom was he content merely to be the boy he truly was.

More shrieks of laughter rose up, lifted by the gentle breezes. Coming to a halt, Qui-Gon lifted his face to the sky and closed his eyes. There would be rain soon ? he could taste it in the air.

Opening his eyes, Qui-Gon gazed up at the sun. It had been so long since they had had a peaceful moment, rushing from one mission to the next. For once, that was not the Council?s fault; Qui-Gon had requested those missions.

Keeping busy kept the pain at bay. It was a coward?s way out, but he knew it had kept him sane. He had seen the concern in Obi-Wan?s eyes, had sensed the unasked questions that the boy kept bottled up inside. Obi-Wan however, had never pushed or prodded, merely looked on with anxiety and caring. Even to his Padawan, Qui-Gon could not speak of his sorrow.

She was gone.

There was nothing to be done about that now. Tahl had died a Jedi, and for that he knew he should be grateful. That he missed her desperately was not really important, not in the big scheme of things. He should find solace in the Force, release all those of tumultuous emotions.

It was just so damned hard.

It was time to move on, however. The Force had made that quite clear and to do anything else would dishonor her memory and his own life. Enough was enough. It was that guidance he had come here seeking, somehow sensing that the serenity here would lead him to the truth.

He had made friends here years ago, and they had welcomed the Jedi in with open arms and warm hearts. Their unconditional acceptance had been healing in itself.

?Master?? Obi-Wan?s voice broke through his reverie. ?Are you all right??

?I?m fine, Padawan,? he answered without much thought, his tone somewhat sharp. He saw the hurt flicker across Obi-Wan?s face and inwardly sighed. He had some bridges to mend, some wounds to soothe. He smiled and clapped Obi-Wan on the shoulder, laughed at the pleased expression on the boy?s face. ?Actually, yes, I?m?fine.?

For the first time in many long months, he actually meant it. Obi-Wan studied him carefully, those arresting eyes searching for something. Then the younger man?s expression cleared, like the sun peeking through storm clouds. ?You are fine, aren?t you??

?Better,? Qui-Gon replied with a shrug. ?Much better.? Then he grinned at his Padawan. ?I heard you playing with the children.?

Obi-Wan blushed fiercely, looked down and kicked at the grass with his boot. ?They begged me,? he said, his tone half-defensive.

?They like you,? Qui-Gon observed.

?They think I?m a nerf,? Obi-Wan admitted.

?A nerf?? Qui-Gon asked, puzzled.

Lashes came down to conceal Obi-Wan?s eyes. ?They want rides,? he said. ?So I have to carry them all around the village once or twice before

2. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    Awwww wow!!!

What a wonderful vignette!!! I love it!!!

Bravo!!! =D==D==D=

3. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww [face_love]

That was so lovely, Kim! [face_love] Just what I needed today :) Thank you!

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was adorable. I loved that Qui-Gon was willing to tell Obi-Wan what he was thinking. It was a lovely bonding time.

I especially liked this..

Tilting his head back, Qui-Gon let the rain fall on his face. ?I think you?re right, Padawan,? he said dryly. ?Very astute powers of observation you have there.? He put a friendly arm around Obi-Wan?s shoulders. ?About what you said back there-?

Obi-Wan groaned and tried to pull away. Any show of emotion still made the boy self-conscious and uneasy. He held everything bottled up inside, keeping his emotions buried beneath countless layers of Jedi serenity.

?What you said back there,? Qui-Gon continued on relentlessly. ?That meant a lot to me. And I wanted you to know.?

?Can we talk about something else?? Obi-Wan asked miserably. It had always been very difficult for Obi-Wan to discuss his emotions, for he harnessed all of his feelings very carefully. He seemed to think that actually feeling and letting that emotion take rein were the same thing. Qui-Gon knew that only time and hard experience would cure him of that notion.

That is such a boy/teen thing to say. LOL.

Great job.

5. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    =D= Very, very nice!!!

?You haven?t been dragging me anywhere, Master,? Obi-Wan said. ?I?ve been running beside you. Your pain is my own, Master.? There was both vulnerability and strength in Obi-Wan?s eyes, along with a sort of shy pride. ?I?d go anywhere with you, Master.?
    For a moment, Qui-Gon was struck dumb at his Padawan?s faith in him. ?Obi-Wan? I?I hardly know what to say.?

I also don't know what to say [face_love] that was just perfect! =D=

6. Luminara_Kenobi

Luminara_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 6, 2006
    Wow, about halfway through I started copying pieces to comment on my favorites, but about two lines later it became every paragraph, and I don't want to take up that much space. I love your characterizations of Qui and Obi. They--especially Obi-Wan, here, in my opinion--are so spot on!

[:D] @};-

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    ?Something like that,? Qui-Gon agreed. ?It?s peaceful here and we both needed that.? He turned and put his hands on Obi-Wan?s shoulders. ?I?m sorry, Padawan. I?m sorry for how I?ve been these past few months ? sorry for dragging you across the galaxy so that I could run away from my own pain.?

Obi-Wan smiled and shook his head. ?You haven?t been paying attention, Master,? he chided gently.

Qui-Gon stared at his Padawan curiously. ?What do you mean??

?You haven?t been dragging me anywhere, Master,? Obi-Wan said. ?I?ve been running beside you. Your pain is my own, Master.? There was both vulnerability and strength in Obi-Wan?s eyes, along with a sort of shy pride. ?I?d go anywhere with you, Master.?

For a moment, Qui-Gon was struck dumb at his Padawan?s faith in him. ?Obi-Wan? I?I hardly know what to say.?
    [face_love] @};-

Wow! Once again I am nearly speechless. Wonderful job.

8. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Lovely vig, VaderLover64.

Obi-Wan smiled and shook his head. ?You haven?t been paying attention, Master,? he chided gently.

Qui-Gon stared at his Padawan curiously. ?What do you mean??

Beautiful. [face_love]

9. Sith_Squid

Sith_Squid Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2007
    Loved it. It's not every day you get to see Jedi mesing about rather than lopping off droid heads. Brilliant characterisation on these two aswell.

I'm just surprised that Qui-Gon could catch up to Obi-Wan without his joints filling with fluid.

10. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    :_| Lovely, just lovely =D=

I love how u wrote both characters and their emotions, cause it feels very real and accurate with what we know of them... great job!:D

11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely,

As he watched his Padawan pull at his soggy clothing, Qui-Gon could not help but think that the boy was like the son he would never have. There was no other path in life that would have given him such satisfaction. He had been destined to be a Jedi; it was his proper place in the galaxy. This boy was proof enough of that.

Yes like father and son

12. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was lovely.

How wonderful to see such a tender light-hearted moment with Qui and Obi.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

13. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    [face_love] Awwwww, so sweet!

=D=

14. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Amazing.:cool:
    It is always nice to see a bit of wonderful mush
    between Qui and Obi.[face_dancing]

15. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    A truly beautiful vignette, Vadey. [face_love] Loved Obi-Wan's loyalty and his playfulness. =D=

16. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Very nice introspection from Qui-Gon. He came to that planet because he needed a mental recharge. Nice simple mission where you only have to worry about getting rained on.:) And a good bonding moment between the two of them at the end.

17. erikawr05

erikawr05 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2006
    beutiful=D=

18. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    MASTER_KAYM Thank you! :)

Layren I'm so glad you liked it!

dianethx My middle son is 17 right now. And he's got a big heart but is simply mortified if anyone notices. :p

Fifilla I'll take it! [face_laugh]

Luminara_Kenobi Thank you! I love writing those two. :)

Valairy_Scot I know you love Obi-Wan as much as I do! So thank you.

Star-Foozle Thanks so much for reading. [:D]

Sith_Squid I figure the old guy is in pretty decent shape. [face_laugh]

Veloz Thank you! [:D]

earlybird-obi-wan Their relationship is very much like father and son.

KELIA I like to imagine that they did have moments like this... [face_love]

Jedi_Tigris Thank you! :D

Gkilkenny I like a little bit of mush! [face_mischief]

Princess_Arulmozhi That's our Obi! ;)

ardavenport I figured they could use some down time! [face_batting]

erikawr05 Thanks!

19. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Oh, that was simply beautiful. I loved seeing those two in simpler, non-perilous times, experiencing healing and enjoying each other and life.

@};- Thanks for sharing! I think you just made my day.

20. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    i can't believe i didn't post on this the first time i read it!!!

suffice it to say that reminiscing about what a lovely vignette it is has prompted me to read again, and now i can correct my egregious lapse.

i love qui-gon's affection -- shown through all the images of obi-wan seen through his master's eyes,

and i love obi-wan's devotion:

"You haven't been dragging me anywhere, Master,"Obi-Wan said. "I've been running beside you. Your pain is my own, Master." There was both vulnerability and strength in Obi-Wan's eyes, along with a sort of shy pride. "I'd go anywhere with you, Master."

sigh[face_love]

21. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    AW that was so sweet. It was cute to see more a father/son pair compared to the master/padawan relationship normally seen. Very refreshing and uplifting to read. Made me all fuzzy on the inside, lol o_O;

Loved it~! :)

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Ara-gon Sometimes it is difficult to remember that their lives DID have moments of peace. :)

ratna I love writing my boys! :p

Ganki Thank you for reading! [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.