main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Proof of Disney's brilliance--this forum! (Myself included)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthPoppy, Jul 16, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's been a very long time since I worried about what any "culture" thought of something before deciding whether I would like it or not.

It is possible to be entertained by a movie without needing majority approval.

ShaneP, Sarge and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  2. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    What a great thread OP. It's driving me nuts not knowing anything, but I have been encouraged to go back and re read some of my old EU books and am more proactive getting new books as they come out to feed my need for Star Wars. Just seeing some of the non stories being pulled out of the air by the UK media already says to me that we won't be able to move for Ep 7 within a year or so. I'm glad I signed up here after lurking for so long. Sure there are "certain points of view" I'm not on board with, but that's the beauty of the site for me and I've even gone back and revised my opinions on some things after seeing others takes on them (TCW for example). Here's to the next 18 months or so of rumours and healthy discussions!

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I love the fact that the ST has brought back a lot of 'long lost fambly' - For many years TF.N and the boards have been a source of fun, maddening frustration, heated arguments and lifelong friendships, all with the common thread, a love for Star Wars in ALL of it's incarnations - no where else have I ever found such a wonderful, eclectic mixture of amazing and interesting people... @};-

4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    You know, looking back to that day of October 31, 2012, I still can't believe it. I could have never seen Disney acquiring LucasFilm. I could have never seen the possibility of the ST in the near future. So let me just say that I'm glad that I get to discuss and anticipate the new releases with people such as Darth_Pevra, darklordoftech, Darth Chiznuk, Circular_Logic, Toonimator, Immortis, and so on. Your point-of-views are all very intriguing as well as varied and you're a huge part of why I still come to this forum. Thank you.

5. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Frankly, I do think it's cool that TFN is so hyped, but it's hardly reflective of Disney's brilliance - it just shows how much people want new Star Wars.

6. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

We've jumped away from 'just Disney' here, but dare I say it, but unless you've been here a while (and I mean more than a few months, many people have been here for the better part of a decade) you just couldn't understand...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I'm one of the "back in the day" posters, and news of the ST totally psyched me up, too. But strangely, my rekindled love of "Star Wars" started just about six weeks before the announcement. Which is either a weird coincidence, or perhaps I sensed a ripple in the Force........either way, it's great/strange to be back after such a long time. And it makes me happy when I stumble upon a few "familiar faces" from back in my era. :)

Oh, and I totally hate spoilers. So I'm very pleased with Disney's secrecy thus far.

8. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Thanks for the shoutoutz, Lurker. Glad to know that I'm in that group of peeps that you enjoy discussion with (though this is just my 87th post in the ST forum :p, and I'm still a relative newb) .

About this topic: yeah, I definitely agree that the anticipation for the ST has brought a lot of excitement to this forum (and a lot of wacky and redundant topics). There's definitely a revival of interest in Star Wars, and fans, both new and old, are coming together to talk about one of their favorite franchises. Say what you will about Disney, they have really offered lots of new things to get excited about besides the ST: new upcoming games, EU, and the upcoming Rebels animated series, to name a few. I'm going to save most of my excitement for when it gets closer to the release in 2015, but until then, speculate away, everyone!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Great OP! =D=

While things may be quiet on the news front, I find myself managing and not going nearly as crazy as I would be without this forum. It's great to come here everyday and pick through the different ideas and see the wild speculation that comes through here. I haven't been to the movie forums for a long time, mostly due to stagnation and as the OP said, the same, tired debate over which is better - the OT or PT. But that has all changed with the announcement. I find discussing a new Star Wars film to be very refreshing and believe it or not, but the movie forums are fun again!

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, DarthPoppy , it turns out you've created quite the feel-good, group hug thread here. You deserve some extra power converters. :p

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm almost ashamed to say it but my fandom was definitely waning for a few years without anything new to sink my teeth in (I watched TCW but it's not the same as a new movie to me) but then October 30, 2012 rolled around and all of a sudden Star Wars was back! I was instantly flooded with all the excitement that I had when I was waiting for the prequels. I'm so happy that Disney has given us something to look forward to for years to come with the ST and the spin-offs. While sometimes it can be frustrating to wait for news to trickle out it is so much better than the situation we had only months ago with the SW features seemingly dead. So I say bring on all the crazy theories and wild speculation because I'm loving every minute of it! :D

12. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Absolutely, Chiz. This is exactly how I felt about the sale. I would search on line: SW Episodes VII - IX and the same thing would come up, over and over again, Lucas quoted as saying never more. Then we heard not one film, but a complete ST. Sheer joy and excitement was my reaction.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Darth Chiznuk : yeah, you should be ashamed. [face_not_talking]

Haha, seriously, I really like that so many of the great new posters here like you were dragged onto the boards by the news of the Disney purchase and ST movies. Same goes for the oldbies who were dragged back on after a long hiatus.

Somehow my own interest in SW has not waned since I got hooked in '77 at age three, but it's understandable how it could happen. So as cheesy as it sounds, I mean it when I say that part of what I like about all this is the infusion of great new posters here. Now all of you be good or we'll ban you. :p

14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    You just shamed even more, sir. I'll go sit with my head in the corner now. :p

eht13 likes this.
  15. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    I don't think that the bashing of the PT has lessened because Episode VII has "united" PT fans and PT-haters. I think what has happened is that at least some of the PT-haters have finally grown tired of obsessing over a 14-year-old movie that they hate, and also, hating on the PT isn't as "kewl" as it used to be. Increasingly, I see bashers rely on what I call "the Jar Jar strategy": that is, harping on Jar Jar, or just mentioning him as if doing so automatically ends all debate. Jar Jar may be the most unpopular SW character ever (or not), but even the Jar Jar strategy isn't nearly as effective as it used to be.

TPM: 3D drew in an impressive haul, especially for a barely-publicized 3-D release of a movie that has been torn to shreds for nearly a decade and a half, been hyperbolically called "the worst movie ever made," and which the public has been told, ad nauseam, is "universally reviled." Not to mention it was also available on DVD and Blu-Ray. The press, which has always painted the PT-haters as representing all of SW's fandom, tried its best to fling mud at TPM: 3-D, writing about it like it carried an infectious disease, and giving megaphones to parents who practically bragged about how they "wouldn't allow their children to see it," or "had ensured their children hated it already." The press also downplayed or ignored TPM: 3-D's financial success.

The Red Letter Moron tried to piggyback onto TPM: 3-D by releasing an MP3 version of his idiotic commentary so that his fans, whomever and wherever they are, could waste more time and money on a movie they hate and look "kewl," at least in their own minds, by raising their hands in the theater when their leader's commentary urged them to. Strangely, I neither heard nor read about any such incidences, nor was the newest generation of SW fans "repelled" by TPM: 3-D. They seemed to enjoy the heck out of it, actually.

16. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    THIS. ^^^
    Having been to an Episode I 3D event in costume, I can tell you firsthand those lines were LONG! They wrapped around the interiors of the theater...and this was two days after it opened. There were no walkouts, no hecklers, and no booing. It was great. :cool:

But back on topic, totally agree with the OP. Disney seems to have a good hold on this one as far as marketing goes. They're letting it market itself at this point, so that by 2015 everything will be at a fever pitch, selling more tickets. And no spoilers?

Bring it. [face_dancing]

FRAGWAGON, maychild, eht13 and 2 others like this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It's almost as exciting as royal baby watch '13!

JainaSoloYJK and Immortiss like this.
  18. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Melody is expecting??? :eek:

19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I know right? I couldn't help myself with the TPM novel and also made the mistake of looking on the back of the OST at one of the track titles.......:(

20. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I agree with the OP here, as its nice that all of us will walk into a SW movie for the first time since 1983 and not know what to expect. The problem with the PT is there was specific plot points we wanted to see on screen that were talked about in the OT, so there was an anticipation on how they would be presented by Lucas. The ST is a different animal simply because they can take the story WHATEVER way they want it now, as they are not married to specific plot points that we all know are coming.

This is why I have always wanted the ST (going back to 1983) instead of the PT, simply because of the unknown and that makes it more interesting. I am in the minority cause it seems that most SW fans wanted the PT first, but the ST will be a refreshing addition to the Saga simply because of the main x factor is 'where are they going with this?'

DarthBreezy likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I was glad to get the PT as I had wanted since 1983 to see the back story of Anakin Skywalker. I liked it for the most part, although I was disappointed at the end of ROTS; obviously we all knew Anakin was going to fall but there were multiple other ways it could have played out. And my opinion of the whole "prophecy" is pretty well known around here.

But yes, they can take the ST wherever they want, with some ties to continuity.

Immortiss likes this.
  22. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Thanks eht13, I am off to Tosche Station to pick up those converters! But I really am digging the positive Star Wars vibes generated by the ST, it feels like old times!

Darth Chiznuk and eht13 like this.
  23. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I cannot believe it either. My interest was switched back on. I was unspoiled for TPM and it made it a wonderful experience and made me a fan. I cannot believe there are more SW films on the way!

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    TCW rekindled my interest in Star Wars after a several-year post-ROTS hiatus. But the show had gone downhill in the past couple of seasons and I was afraid we'd never have new Star Wars. As much as I would have been happy to discuss the old movies over and over again as well as the books and the first couple of seasons of TCW, I was afraid that the less-hardcore fans were all going to fade into the woodwork and leave me talking to myself. :p I'm glad to see new Star Wars and a fandom revival...fights and all.

25. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    All i know is if i dont get any VII news soon these kittens is going darkside

[​IMG]

JainaSoloYJK and Immortiss like this.