main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tampa, FL Prop Building Tutorials

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Annya_Latoure2, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    Prop Building Tutorials. This thread is to start having a place to give specific info about building props. Skyshark started with a good list of things for building a lightsaber. Ross is working on a scoutboot blaster and I am sure all of us have made something that we can teach others how to. SO if you have a tutorial you would like to post, please use this thread for that.

2. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Date Posted: 6/21 3:10pm Subject: RE: August Meeting! - Date Edited: 6/21 3:13pm (1 edits total) Edited By: skyshark93
    OK gang, here's the list of the parts you'll need and where to get them for the lightsaber style like I carry around:

1 1/2" X 12" sink tailpiece x1 (Lowe's)
    Set of PYLON # 24 rubber wiper refills x1 (Wal-Mart)
    Length of 1 1/4" PVC, 160 psi rated x1 (Lowe's)
    Pack of ELCO 1" D-rings (picture hanging equipment) x1 (Ace Hardware)
    1 3/8" Metal hole plug x1 (Lowe's)
    # 10 X 1" Thumbscrew x1 (Lowe's)
    # 10 hexnut x1 (Lowes)
    # 8 brass knurled nut x1 (Lowe's)
    Rubber beveled faucet washer, approx. 1/2" diameter x1 (Lowe's)
    1 1/4" rubber slip joint washer x1 (Lowe's)
    Plastic Fujifilm 35mm film canister x1 (any film developer)
    20-pin low profile socket RS#276-1991 x1 (Radio Shack)

We can also make an "Anakin" style with the same parts, they are very similar.
    You only need one of each as noted above, but it would be wise to get at least two of each just in case, that's what I did on my first one and actually ended up with two whole sabers.
    I'll be bringing along some miscelaneous tools, my grinder and rivet gun for all to use. It would be nice if some people picked up a box of rivets, trust me, they go fast. Also, if someone has a Dremmel rotary tool, bring it, I have a Black and Decker, bettery powered one and its not that good, plug in is much better so bring them along!
    If I forgot anything Ill post it when I remember. Thats it people, get shopping!!!
    Later

3. skyshark93

skyshark93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    MATERIAL LIST UPDATE:

Can of black, spray on "Plasti-dip" can be picked up at Lowes as well.
    Also, the knobs are great if you want to do the prequel style of belt clip, personally I go with a more classic style keychain clip, that can be found in the automotive section of Walmart real cheap.
    Leighann and I just went on a shopping spree for new lightsabers, it actually started out as one for me, but while looking through materials, Leighann started brainstorming so now she's building her first! Hopefully we can showcase these at the meeting, as with any lightsaber, they are easy to build and should take no more than a day or two, but one of the parts for mine is extremely difficult to get so here's hoping that Ill have it done in time...
    this is gonna be great!!
    Later

4. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    skyshark93Registered: Nov '02

Is it the 1 3/8" Metal hole plug x1 (Lowe's)? Here's a pic:
    [image=http://fl501st.com/photo/albums/userpics/10391/holeplug2.jpeg]
    I've been having problems getting them too. Dont bother with Home Depot, they are clueless. Last time I asked for them exactly as a 1 3/8 metal hole plug and fortunately I had someone who knew their stuff. If its someone clueless they will try to sell you some plastic crap, just go find someone else.
    Hope this helps.
    Later

5. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Bert, You said at the ROTS premire that you MADE your trooper armor. Any chance of doing a workshop for THAT :) ?

Let me know, wanting to join the 501st

onward

6. skyshark93

skyshark93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    If anyone has the molds, a vacuform table and LOTS of ABS plastic then yeah!
    Acutally, I PUT TOGETHER my armor, it comes like a model kit. However I MADE my TD backpack, rifle, binoculars, strapping and harness, lightsabers, Leighann's "Leia belt", flares, code cylinders, hosing, Alyssa's glowing eye lights and bandolier. Leighann did ALL necessary sewing.
    Whew!
    Reporters tend to take all that and print it as "he made it" and when people ask its much quiker to say "we made it" as we pretty much did, rather than going into details, we used to when we first started but soon found out that the "normals" get bored with specifics like those. All they want to hear is where they can buy one, there is no such place so you tell them you made it and that is the end of that conversation without boring anyone.
    Sorry if I mislead you.
    Later

7. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    [image=

http://www.geeksgonebad.com/TDB1138/forum_viewtopic.php?6.18]

This was completed today by Ross. It is awesome.

8. LukeCeremonial22569

LukeCeremonial22569 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 23, 2002
    Here's the 2 lightsabers I did today, Denise's lightsaber took a day & half but Alex's only took about 6 hours to put together. You can check them out here, enjoy.

Oh and Denise's lightsaber has lights, sound and vibration becuase I took the guts out of my $15 kid sabre and put them in it, it looks cool.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frost833522000/album?.dir=13bf&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frost833522000/my_photos

9. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    Very cool looking!!

10. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
  11. HippieTrooper

HippieTrooper Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2005
    Bump, here ya go Zexion
    Later

12. LukeCeremonial22569

Sep 23, 2002
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frost833522000/my_photos

Zexion here's some of the props I made and are still making to sell on ebay. If you have any questions on how to work with leds or just anything let in general let me know, I'd be glad to help you out.

I'll be buying another Master Replica after the first of the year to take apart and put into my own hilt and I plan on chnaging the colour of the led's also to green.

13. LukeCeremonial22569

Sep 23, 2002
    Scout Blaster is here and is already taking apart. I took it apart to give it a better sound f/x also a bright red led on the tip. So when I pull the trigger it will sound like it should and have a bright red tip like blaster fire. I'm taking pictures as I go so I will post when it's done.

14. Zexion

Zexion Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2005
    Hey, anyone got a tutorial for building a Force Pike? If not, anyone have any idea what materials were used to make the ones in the films? If that's also a no go...anyone got any decent pics of a Force Pike?

15. LukeCeremonial22569

Sep 23, 2002
    They may have machined them from aluminium, if I was going to build one I was use heavy stock pvc pipe to make it. That way it was light to carry around. Try looking in the Star Wars Visual Dictionary for Attack of the Clones page 10. I believe there is a picture of one in there. You could even try using an old pool stick, sand it down and paint, then add the other things to it.

16. Zexion

Zexion Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2005
    I was walking around Home Depot today looking for something to use and the idea of using a pool stick crossed my mind, so I may try that. Thanks for your imput.

17. LukeCeremonial22569

Sep 23, 2002
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frost833522000/album?.dir=34a1&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frost833522000/my_photos

Here's my newest project for scout uniform.

18. Zexion

Zexion Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2005
    Found an awesome force pike tutorial, thought i'd share.
    http://www.geocities.com/mhtaylor67/projects/forcepike.htm

Anyone got an old ski pole? :p

19. LukeCeremonial22569

Sep 23, 2002
    I knew I shouldn't have gotten rid of my ski stuff when I left Michigan, I had 3 sets of poles.

20. TK-3150

TK-3150 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2005
    I still have my skis, I am missing the "shoe" off one of my poles tho due to a "mishap" at Timber Ridge in Kalamazoo......so force pike is looking good, then I will just get a new set of poles when I move back next summer........

21. Zexion

Zexion Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2005
    Yeah, it looked like a reallt good tutorial, so I wanted to share.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.