main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Prop Building

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by RABIDJAWA, Oct 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    Hey Doug, any chance we could have another prop building get-together sometime in the near future? I think I'd like to build another saber and possibly try building a blaster rifle. I don't know if anyone else is interested, but I sure enjoyed the last one we did...

2. nordicgal

nordicgal Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Yeah - that sounds like a great idea! Maybe if we look up pictures of Jocasta Nu's light saber I can make one of those. (Not that I don't LOVE the one that you gave me, Doug!!) I just think a woman of Jocasta's stature would have at least 2 weapons lying around!! ;)

3. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    I also would like to make a saber. It will totally finish off my Barris Offee costume. I will be free thursdays and fridays all day starting in about 3 weeks. Just let me know

4. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    This could be done....I've got a lot on my plaet right now, but perhaps after my trip to comdex (nov 16-20).....

Doug

5. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    That would be cool. It'd gimmie a chance to accumulate some parts.

6. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    Yes, I agree that after those dates would be better. Like adam said, we need to get stuff to make our props.

7. bobafett321

bobafett321 Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2003
    I would like to have another prop building shop due to the fact that i missed the last one, and i need a saber for my new jedi outfit.

nick

8. amazonqueen16

amazonqueen16 Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2003
    I also need a lightsaber for my Barriss Offee costume. I wish I could've gone to the party last night....

9. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Is there a web site or something where I can get a list of the stuff I need to put together a blaster? That way I could pick stuff up myself and not have to lean on Doug so much, 'cause I know he's very busy.

10. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Shoot,
    I just checked, and the blaster-builders club has taken down the tutorials.

Here's a list of the parts I can remember:

- 1ea 19" of 1 1/4" Inside Diameter Schedule 40 PVC Pipe (the white stuff). Home depot sells this in 10 foot-long sections for about $3.00 so if people wanted to pitch in...

- 1ea 1 1/4" PVC pipe cap (should fit on the end of above pipe)

- 1ea 3/4" PVC endcap (I think this is right, should JUST fit inside the main pipe).

1/2" thick pine (about 8" x 8")

1/8" thick wood (hardwood, etc0 about 8" x 8"

-3 sheets of .032" thick aluminum sheet. You can get this from Ace Hardware or Walker hobbies (ask where the K&S metal is). If enough people wanted to pitch in, we could probably get it cheaper from onlinemetals.com.

1 bottle quik-tite super glue

1 tube 15 minute epoxy

1 tube elmer's wood filler

(The above 3 items can be found at walmart in the paint section)

You'll also need the "rubber grip" material used on the barrel. I don't have enough left. Walmart used to sell floormats that we could get about 4 blasters and about 10 lightsabers worth of grip material out of one for about $16.00. But they haven't had them since they opened the new store. We can look for an alternative source. If we can't find them, you'll have to order from John at yoda's house...it's $5.00/foot and you'll need 5 to 6 feet. John's a good guy and his grip material is really nice with a sticky back on it and everything. Here's his website:

http://www.blast-tech.com/home.asp

In addition to the above items, you'll need a scope. I have a tutorial online that shows how to build a pretty good one for about $3.00, or I can find resin-casts if you want to spend about $20.00 on just the scope. My tutorial (including a parts list) is here (note: I have plenty of 1/4" barstock)...

http://jedi5150.fateback.com/hw-m19-tutorial/

Let me know if you need any other info. I have all of the templates on my hard drive so don't worry about that.

Doug

11. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    WOW! (sound of jaw hitting floor)

12. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    That's... that's quite the list there. I better get to work or it'll be June before I find all this stuff (ha,ha,ha).

13. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    I've got one piece of PVC long enough if you want it, it's yours.

Let me know if you need help finding anything...the cool thing is that most of the stuff is CHEAP...

Doug

14. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, I'll take that pipe. And as soon as I get paid this week, I'll hit Home Depot.

15. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Okey Dokey dude, it's yours!

Lemme know if you need help finding parts :D

Doug

16. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Hey Doug,

I went into K-Mart in Rexburg today, and found some floormats that would make good grip fodder. They were kinda pricey...$15 to $20 if I remember right. But there were some little rectangular mats made of the same stuff for like $2 a pop. Maybe I'll go grab one and bring it to the meeting.

I still wanna build a blaster, but my schedule just got screwed up. I'm working 7am to 7pm every Thurs., Fri., and Sat. for the next seven weeks. So if we can work around that...

17. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    hmmm, I'd be interested in seeing one of those mats!

We're going to talk about the prop building day at the meeting, I'll keep your schedule in mind....I'll be off work for 4 weeks so we can probably work it in then sometime ! :)

Doug

18. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Hey Doug,

I'm gonna have to put this off for a while. The clutch in my car just went out, and I need to get that taken care of. I'm pissed, not only because that's gonna syphon off all my free cash, but also 'cause I just finished paying the P.O.S. off like last week!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.