main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Salisb, NC Prop Building ...

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by RipRoar, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RipRoar

RipRoar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    GENERAL DISCUSSION for prop building [Specific IR events and group projects will be held on those boards]. Questions about armor, references, blasters etc. can be posted here or PM'd.

Hello all...

I have the Vac Table fixed (There was a leak in the hose and just in case - I sealed the edges as well - IT IS PULLING GREAT NOW).

2. Darth_Phanax

Darth_Phanax Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2007
  3. Magic_Vader_83

Magic_Vader_83 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 27, 2007
    why not i'll keep this one alive. I am always trying to improve my Ghostbusters Proton Pack prop. I bought some vac-formed plastic shells off of ebay a while back and just built up on top of them. They were just the top boxes and the bottom round portion. Then I bought some resin parts from guys on a prop site and some tubing and stuff and finished it up. Its got a hundred dollar light kit installed which is screen accurate and looks great. Everything is 100%accurate to the movie regardles of how I did it. I tried to use genuine parts but when I couldn't get them I used resin replicas cast from the real deal. Here is a pic.

[image=[​IMG]]

Let me know if you have any questions.

4. Darth_MacDuff

Darth_MacDuff Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2007
    I am looking forward to our next session at the Man Cave. I am excited about the prospect of getting into the making my own armor. There hasn't been much of an update as far as my PVC blaster build. I am waiting on a chance to get over to my son-in-law's shop and work on some of the metal pieces. I am hoping to have some done by the next meeting. I have pretty much completed the Hasbro conversion except for cutting the end and placing that end piece on. I am not that good with the Dremel tool yet. I might need some help on that. I am also going to need 2 vent ribs to finish it off. I will keep the Empire posted.

5. Darth_MacDuff

Oct 15, 2007
    Here is the story of a prop attempt gone haywire. As you know I have been making a PVC E11 Blaster and as of right now until I get back to my son-in-law's metal shop, the project is on hold. Now, I have decided to throw caution to the wind and build me a DLT-19 Heavy Blaster rifle, aka the MG34. Now yesterday I got out in the garage, had my templates all cut out and ready and traced them out on my craftboards. Found out I was going to need a third craftboard to make the three pieces that I will need. Now all this time the website that has my tutorial was down for most of the day. I need some measurements so I could get started on the barrel. The site finally came back up and much to my shock :eek: I had the wrong craftboard. I needed a 3/4 inch thickness and I'll be danged if I didn't get 1/2 inch boards. :oops: So, now all that work done yesterday was for nothing. The bad part about this was that when I went to Lowe's with shopping list, I had written down 3/4 thickness and I picked up 1/2 thickness. 8-} Looks like it back to Lowe's again for more supplies. The Hasbro Blaster conversion looks pretty good. I like it. :) I will bring it to our next get together and let you guys have a look see. I will keep the Empire posted on my progress with the other two. First attempt at prop building has been an experience so far.

6. RipRoar

Apr 8, 2007
    Good Luck! Well, I made my first MOLDS totally on my own (A pair of guantlets for the storm trooper that I am modifying for church ROMAN soldier play we are doing). The molds turned out just fine - now for the customizing....

7. Darth_MacDuff

Oct 15, 2007
    Well, it was off to Lowe's today and pick up my boards and 2 more PVC connectors. I traced my template out on my new board and commenced to cutting. Guess what? I SUCK at using a jigsaw. I don't think I could cut a straight line if my life depended on it! The boards I bought are big enough for me to get two out of each one so that means out of the three I need, I have three to "practice" on and brother, do I need practice. This is my first attempt at it and it has been interesting to say the least.
    Little bit of an update on the PVC E-11. I got the inner barrel cut out and it is ready. All I am waiting on will be the metal pieces: the scope rail, the sights, and the trigger guard, from my son-in-law's shop.

8. Darth_MacDuff

Oct 15, 2007
    OK. just a little bit of an update here. I took the guts of the E-11 and painted them. It looks good to me, but I guess the true test will be when I show you guys at the next get together. The receiver for the MG34 has been glued and screwed.[face_laugh] I got the barrel test fitted and now I just have to print out the templates and get over to the machine shop for some drilling. There's that shop again. One problem I have is that I have something that gets in the way of my prop building. It's called LIFE! I get home from work and my brain feels like Jell-O and then the wife comes home on the weekends and I want to spend some time with her. I might around to finishing them soon, I hope. That E-11 is going to be a monster when I finish it. It is already getting some weight on it and I haven't gotten to the good stuff yet.

9. Darth_MacDuff

Oct 15, 2007
    Ok, here's a little update. I took the MG34 to the shop yesterday and took a bandsaw to it and it cleaned up pretty good. This is one of my first prop attempts and I am not going to be expecting great things. Anyone who can make stuff like this; Smash, Rip and etc., has my greatest respect and admiration. I salute your ability and your talent. As far as the MG34 is concerned, I am still going to see if I can save up enough money and get the Hyperfirm replica. Wanna look good when I go out as a TK.

10. Darth_MacDuff

Oct 15, 2007
    Ok, time for a brief update. Thanks to Rip, I got the last two pieces for my Hasbro blaster upgrade and I got them glued on last night and slapped some paint on it today. I am not the best painter in the world, but I Like the results. It turned out better than I hoped and I am going to take Rip's advice and leave the red barrel cap on for now. I am not that confident in my skill with the Dremel. Next time we have a get together, I will bring it with me.

11. Magic_Vader_83

Oct 27, 2007
    Still working on getting my proton pack beautiful to meet Ernie Hudson. Actually had a weird twisted dream about meeting him last night but it was cool cause I actually got to sit behind the table and talk to him. The prop still needs work so I am hoping to get it done.

12. RipRoar

Apr 8, 2007
    Hope you get it done before your trip

13. Darth_MacDuff

Oct 15, 2007
    I am seriously thinking about throwing caution to the wind and doing some work on the Vader helmet. The guy that made my bodysuit, cape and robe also makes lenses and tusks for Vader as well and he even has some pretty cool looking helmets at some nice prices. Might even get brave enough to attempt a paint job. I am chomping at the bit to get started on my Stormtrooper armor. Still waiting on my Christmas present from the wife. :eek: She said that she was going to get me some of the extras for my costume like the boots, bodysuit, neckseal, and head wrap.

14. Magic_Vader_83

Oct 27, 2007
    if you are going to mod the helmet i would suggest getting a spare. Especially if you are going to do vader while you mod. I bought the lenses from a guy in tokyo. They look great and you can see clearly out of them. One problem. Even if you know what you are doing with a dremel and bondo its very hard to instal the lenses. They must be installed from the inside and the rubies has a lip for the lenses to sit on which has to be removed. Not to mention its REALLY hard to find the accurate paint for the helmet. I am working on at least getting my lenses in. Then i need to do a new paint job. Let me know if you do it cause i'd like some tips. Good luck man!

15. IamaSith

IamaSith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2007
    What fun....

16. RipRoar

Apr 8, 2007
    So, I have almost all of my storm trooper outfit cut out now and ready for painting and assembly. Finally moving forward with that project (Amongst the many outfits sitting here in "pulled" plastic awaiting my attention...

Also, Darth_Phanax and I started repairing some of the "BIG" molds. There are many cracks that need repair (No biggy - just time consuming and some pieces that need re-working - remolding). I repaired the regular Storm trooper chest plate that cracked when the vac table exploded. I had to replace the entire table top when that happened (All that's left of the original is the stand it sits on).

The "BIG" helmet is ready to go now - I'll try a test pull hopefully later today. If it works out with a good pull - I'll swap out some of your plastic Darth for the pulled ones so you're well on your way to getting the trooper started/finished.

I need to get my wife involved with my tusken and Darth_Phanax's Kir Kanos (Crimson Empire Guard - red one w/ black under suit). SLAVE ONE - MAYBE YOU COULD MAKE ONE OF YOUR imperial guards as the other crimson empire guy (Carnor Jax) and you two could troop together?

Anyway - back in the saddle again and it feels great. I will circulate a couple of dates for armor pull - let me know when everyone can meet on a saturday or sunday afternoon soon. Send me messages offline on myspace...

My clone is under way too...

17. slaveone28146

slaveone28146 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2007
    Sounds great

18. Darth_MacDuff

Oct 15, 2007
    Sounds like a plan to me. One costume I thought would be cool would be the Blue Senate Guard with the double mohawk on the helmet. I always thought that was the coolest mask when I first saw it in Ep I.
    As far as modifying the Darth Vader helmet, I don't think I could afford a "spare" and I am not that confident in my prop making abilities as of yet. My E-11 and MG34 are still in the garage in several pieces. The guy that sold me my cape and bodysuit from www.customsprops.com has a set of lenses and a set of tusks as well. I am going to have to do some research on the helmet. I always thought the mask was gun metal and flat black with the helmet being a gloss black. I am going to install some screens in the mouth so they are not as see through as they are now. I should have that done by August when Clone Wars comes out.

19. RipRoar

Apr 8, 2007
    I pulled the HELMET for ya Darth_MacDuff even though you wanted to be here to pull it yourself - I needed a test pull for the modified mold and it worked great! It turned out pretty good so I'll swap out some of your plastic for it (3 squares). Next time I see you - you can take the pulled pieces home to work on and get the helmet going! You're officially started with the TK_TALL trooper! You may want to start looking around the web for assembly and painting tips or I can show you when you come what you need to do. I will pull the ears in between time so you have the complete helmet ready to assemble short of the resin/add-on pieces (They can come later).

Darth_Phanax and I had to repair and actually re-sculp broken pieces that came off and were lost in move to my house when "S" gave us the molds for your suit. We are moving ahead on other repairs and replacements for both the TK and Big TK. Slave wanted to pull a Biker off MD's biker molds which are at my house - so I'll have to check w/ slave if he still wants to do that. I need to pull some of Stars Big pieces left and then she is ready to assemble her trooper just like Slave.

20. Magic_Vader_83

Oct 27, 2007
    Well just an update here on my Proton pack. If you want pics pm me with your email and i'll shoot them over to ya. I am too lazy to post them here LOL. I got it all done and Ernie Hudson even signed it. The sad story is I made a deal with a guy in NY to mail it up to him if he bought me a new RESIN Proton Pack shell. So he did and my pack is now in his hands. So....I am working on a BRAND NEW 100% accurate (except for resin replicas of parts obselete) Proton Pack made form a Resin Pack shell. (This thing is so incredably awesome!) So I hope to have it done by Halloween even tho parts will cost me well over 200 bucks. the lights alone for JUST the pack cost 94 bucks. So.....might be a while.

As for star wars props....HA I made the mistake of taking aoart my anakin force fx so now i have to solder the switch back on so i can see if it still works.

Other than that I hope to be getting a part time job at best buy or walgreens this semester and save up for a more accurate vader suit and helmet and hopefully getting a new cod piece soon. (I got six days to come up with 55 bucks....hahahaha. I love ebay. Anyway, also going to save up to buy plastic from the source to pull a stormtrooper or two if thats still possible after everyone gets theirs pulled/completed. If not then i may just slowly save for a kit on ebay despite them being more expensive.

But that will be a while as I have my hands full with Ghostbusters props and the vader upgrade project.

Hope to se eyou all soon!

21. RipRoar

Apr 8, 2007
    Darth,

The TK is ready any time you get your plastic. The TKBIG is underway in repairs (Helmet is ready and 1 successful pull completed since repairs were done). The clone is 75% sculpted. I should be done this weekend and then the fine sanding and detail work begin. Congrats on the proton pak and goodluck with the next one...

Josh is going to work on a Kir Kanos (Slaveone - Target had a re-release of that comic 2 pak of the crimson empire imperial guard figures you wanted - did you ever get one - if not - I'll keep my eyes open for one). "K s going to help him with the materials for the suit. She is also going to start my tusken - can you bring your's bye sometime soon so she can look it over for ideas?

22. slaveone28146

slaveone28146 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2007
    Yea i can bring it by np problem. Just let me know when. If you do see that pack will you pick it up for me and i will give you the money.

23. RipRoar

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, Josh thought you had it - I'll keep looking for it! Can you bring the tusken over the weekend some time - even if your just on your way out somewhere? Thanks - I'll show you the clone molds I'm working on....

24. RipRoar

Apr 8, 2007
    The Clone sculps/molds are now ALL roughed out. All I have to do now is a lot of sanding and carve in lines of detail that I want to show up in the pulled plastic (Oh yeah - and CLEAN my garage - oh my it's a mess because of this). This was a huge undertaking over the last 4 months - off and on but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and am close to pulling the firt plastic from my new molds.

I think that I will take a break and finish up my trooper suit since it is all cut out and ready for assembly. We should have a man cave event soon to finish pulling Star's suit and work some more on Darth_MacDuff's TK_TALL. Where's he been on the boards lately?

25. Darth_MacDuff

Oct 15, 2007
    Oh, I have been here. The wife came home from her job in Columbus, Ohio Friday morning and then the house got invaded over the weekend, so been kind of busy here. I got online the other day and was looking at a website that was showing how to assemble the TK armor. This is going to an interesting experiece! Hope it comes out OK. I am looking forward to the first armor pull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.