Prop/Costume Making Party - Aug 21st

Discussion in 'Rochester, NY' started by Doc_Bev, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Per Wingnut's "vision" let's pick a date to have a big prop/costume making party. We could have it at my house. I have a sewing/comic book collection/junk room upstairs (it's air conditioned) that should work well for the soft goods work, then we have all the machinery and tools in the garage for the hard goods work. We could make a day of it, order in pizza and try to get at least a little something worked on for everyone who comes.

Of course, for any soft goods work - the date chosen would have to be one when HothGirl would be able to come up. Although if Diane is feeling better maybe she'd like to participate too.

So who's interested, when are you free and what are you hoping to work on?

For me I'm quite interested :D, my schedule's pretty full but since I would love to get a new set of Jedi Robes by Dragon*Con and the Padme Dress by Halloween I'm willing to make this fit into my schedule ASAP.

My first thought would be combine it with August's meeting on the 21st.

~Doc_Bev
  2. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    The 20th or 21st may work for me - at least right now that weekend is clear. Sundays are hard, but I could be at the Blum's by 2:30pm (maybe a bit sooner or earlier depending). The first two weekends are out - I've got a Stargate Con the first weekend and visiting some college friends the next.

So yeah, we could plan on doing that and discuss the details later. :) Yay!
  3. TD-027 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Sounds like fun but, I don't have any costume aspirations at the time being, so I say I'd be tentative.

Duane
  4. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I generally have most weekends free unless I'm at CNSFX or doing something with you guys and gals at this point. Aug 21st?
  5. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If you don't have any costume aspirations then I'm sure KnightShade would welcome the help on the molds.

~Doc_Bev
  6. wookie_cookie Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'd like to go, I would love to make a costume but I don't even know how to get started and pick which one to try. I'll have to check my work schedule. *crosses fingers*
  7. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4
    Yea I'd like to remake my tabbards (sp?) & make a undertunic
  8. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Well you're in one of the best places to find costume-idea..type people Wookie.
    Just find a character you like and wouldnt mind spending some time working on and wearing around as a costume for fun.
  9. nevetsmlahh Jedi Knight

star 1
    count me in.mesa thinks isa goood idea.
  10. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
  11. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    I can amnke it either a Sat. in the afternoon or Sunday. I got like a bunch of costume ideas I want to do. I do not think I would be able to have the stuff for them though any time soon. First is getting a ANH Han Shirt made. I would like to do a black imp. officer, and if I can ever afford a Helmet, the rebel trooper. If not a costume to work on then can also attempt to work on the E-11s maybe. I have not even been able to touch them again. Its been a while. So much is left to do for them.
  12. wookie_cookie Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've been thinking about a costume for ages, I *think* I'd like to do the sleeveless battle outfit from EP III. I looked at the Padawan's Guide and they have really nice pics of all the costumes there. :) My sister can sew, so maybe between you guys and her I'd be able to get it done by Halloween.
  13. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    Wookie - It's a simple costume...I've done it so I'd be happy to help. :) The most time consuming part is making that stupid broach...grrr!

Speaking of that costume actually, I FINALLY found leather for the straps so I can ditch the vinyl ones. Yay for upgrades!

Here's mine, prior to modifications: [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/HothGirl/PadmeIII.jpg]
  14. wookie_cookie Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh that's awesome. Right now I have to work on the 21st, but my friend is having her bridal shower the day before, so maybe I can get my boss to switch my weekend off.
  15. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Darth Wingnut!!!!!
    http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/darthbandon/index.html
    I like it.
    We have a Sith Project! :)
  16. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4
    that would be a cool costume , I like it
  17. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That is a cool costume Wingnut!

~Doc_Bev
  18. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I think the hardest part would be the Chest/Neck/Shoulder piece

The skirt can be attached to a belt and the arm braces should be easy.
    Katie...any ideas?
  19. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    Wingnut - Which picture are you looking at? The ones with the link I saw were only shoulders up.

I found this one: [image=http://thunder.prohosting.com/~spiff/DarthBandon.jpg] and it looks almost like samuari pants. The costume seems similar to Assaji and mandalorian armor.

It's definitly do-able. I'm eventually going to do Bastila Shan's costume and in many ways it is quite similar to that. But pass along any pics you can find so I can take a look. The moniter at work is dark anyway, so I'm having a hard time making out details. :p
  20. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Like Tommy I'd like to re-do my tabbards and sew an under-tunic, not too mention fix the shoulders on my over-tunic which are too damn droopy! Of course, I'm also very game to help Darren with those molds...

I have a few supplies for 'saber-building as well, if anyone has any leanings towards that. I'm hoping to obtain the help of my friend and master saber-crafter Paul B. for some help, if he's available.
  21. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Katie
    Click the picture of the Shoulders-Up shot and a popup should appear with a full body shot. I'm thinking if I can get a set of old lacross pads..I can get them painted black and blue like the lining thats feature. The I'd just have to use some sort of plastic or leather collar for the high neck features.

The boots could be an interesting challenge too. I might forgo the design pictured for now and just go with black pants and my black doc martins or stanley's..
  22. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    So yeah, check these out: SW-esq Patterns from Simplicity

Should we start the pool on when LFL will rip them off the shelves?

Seriously though, JoAnn's *I think* is having a pattern sale this weekend. And if anyone heads out that way and sees these, please pick me up a set of them (pm me and let me know). I want to investigate.

Though I have patterns for some of these, the ANH Leia for example I drafted myself, I'm still really curious to see how close these are to the real thing (though some it's very obvious some issue by just looking at the envelope pictures).

I may try and make a trip out of town and pick them up, I just hope they're in stores now. I'd love to get them just in case LFL cracks the whip.
  23. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    COOL!!! DOH!!!!!!!!!! No Han stuff though. That would be to obviouse I guess.
  24. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow! I've never seen those. I'll go over to Jo-Ann's tomorrow and see if mine has them.
    It's too bad they didn't do a pattern for the Padme outfit I wanted...

~Doc_Bev
  25. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    Doc - Yeah, please do check! :) If they have them, the sale runs Friday the 29th through Sunday the 31st I believe.

SWFreak - Don't worry, I'm working on stuff for Han. ;) Just need to find fabric for the shirt...still....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.