Roch, NY Prop/Costume Making Party - Aug 21st

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nevetsmlahh Jedi Knight

star 1
    hopefuly I can get your help an my home made saber. I have no idea on the emitter or anything else for it. so what ever day decided will work for me.
  2. wookie_cookie Jedi Knight

star 1
    Those are awesome! I think I'll pick them up just to try. I have to work until 3:45pm on the 21st, so I don't think I can come to the party. :( Wah!
  3. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm sure we'll still be doing stuff past 4pm. HothGirl said she won't be able to make it out here until 2:30pm-ish. We'll probably be working on stuff all day I figured and people could come and go as their schedules allowed.

~Doc_Bev
  4. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No luck yet on the new Simplicity patterns. :(
    I think they're too brand new. I'll check again tomorrow to see if they get more in for the sale. They do have 3 empty drawers where these patterns should have been so I'm hoping that means they're getting ready to get them in soon. [face_praying]

~Doc_Bev
  5. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    I know the Canadian Wal-Marts have them...or so I've been told. I'm going to check the Wal-Mart near where I work on the way home, just in case they've got them in. We shall see.

It would be nice if the patterns were in at JoAnn's for the sales this weekend...heh...
  6. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    HothGirl- I know your working on the shirt. Yeah, I should worry about the Han thing before worrying about other costumes. I want to get that done before moving ahead I guess. Once I get a descent shirt , then there is the vest issue. Back when I still had to get some decent boots and the pants done right the vest was fine being the wrong one. It was official and close enough. I just noticed yesterday that the Films of George Lucas Book has an excellent referance shot of Han Solos back, of the vest anyway. Although the Front Pockets seem to be the tricky part as I have heard. The one I got is Screen accurate, but the wrong film. Now its bugging me more and more. Revisions, Revisions, Revisions..... 8-} We'll talk. :D
  7. Ayka Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, I have a few little props here and there that I'd like to come up with, and assuming I dont forget to take the day off from work, I should be there!

I think im gonna grab the parts for a Comlink, and Im trying to find a Material close enough to the Screen-Accurate StormTrooper Belts, anyone have any Ideas what they used for the Belt Fabric?

Other than that, I can always help on Molds ^_^.

Ayka
  8. DarSolo Force Ghost

star 3
    Diane and I checked out the Joann's in Henrietta on Saturday. Their Simplicicty patterns in their Fall book and in their drawers started with number 4477. Those patterns numbers that Diane does not have are 4433, 4443 and 4450. These patterns were not in the Fall catalog, so we asked at the Customer Service Desk. The woman thought they may be so new that they may be in the Winter catalog, but she doubted that they would be in before Halloween. They can always order the patterns for you at 40% off the retail parice. Unfortunately the $0.99 and $1.99 sales only apply to in-stock patterns. Diane was going to check out the Joann's in Webster last night, but I don't know if she had any luck.
  9. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    So, this is on for August 21st then, for sure? Perfect timing, as CNSFX is the following weekend...

I still haven't messaged my friend and Master-Saber crafter Paul B. yet, but I'll head on over to the Rebelscum.com boards and shoot him a PM. Hopefully, we can get him to join us. I'll do that now... and come back with an edit...

I'm back... invitation to Paul sent. I hope, hope, hope he can join us... you need to see the stuff he's built. Simply amazing. And his collection of 'sabers rivals that of the Lucas prop-masters. I'll even ask him to possibly bring suppies, if he can spare anything that can be grafted on to a 'saber hilt.

Me, I'm excited to see how Darren's molds are coming along... and his fungi, too.
  10. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I've also been in contact with our saber guru Paul B on the RS boards. He's going to help me build a saber of my own. :)

At the moment...I will have some treats to bring over and work on for the prop party.
  11. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    The patterns WILL be out. The store in Olean I went to this weekend had them, but hadn't unpacked them and wouldn't while I was there. Some people have already managed to get the patterns, and you can order them online if you're in a hurry for them. But they will be available...eventually...
  12. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Nevetsmlahh; I've got a couple of ideas, that even I've never explored before. PM me for more, but let's just say most of them can be obtained at Home Depot or Lowe's for cheap (less than $10.00). Paul B. knows more then I, though. I can't wait to pick his brain.

Oh, Paul actually got back to me tonight, and said he was unavailable that weekend (out of town for all of it). But he would be interested in joing us another time, perhaps at a regular meeting, or another prop building day.
  13. wookie_cookie Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm going to JoAnn's tomorrow to look for fabric for the tunic and to look for a pattern that someone recommended. Hopefully I can have something started by the time the party rolls around.
  14. DarSolo Force Ghost

star 3
    Diane checked Saturday night the Joann's in Webster for the patterns and no luck there.
  15. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    How is Diane feeling?
    Will she be coming to our little costuming party?

Or did I miss that somewhere further back in the thread?
  16. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  17. wookie_cookie Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm going to come, but I probably won't get there until 5pm, If my sister isn't working, I'm going to make her come along. I bought micro suede, a pattern, thread at Jo Ann's in Canandaigua (no sw patterns there yet) and I got some maternity pants at Victor Target for my costume. :D So I'm in good shape I think, except fot the brooch and buckle-like things...
  18. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just got my Jo-Ann's flier in the mail and Simplicity patterns go on sale for $1.99 again on Sat Aug 13th only. Unfortunately since that's my family reunion I doubt I'd be able to get over there. I tried ordering the patterns online, but simplicity.com's website has a checkout glitch. :(

~Doc_Bev
  19. wookie_cookie Jedi Knight

star 1
    I found the new patterns at Wal-Mart in Newark today.
  20. Paul_B Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi everyone.
    Sounds like a pretty fun event is planned. Sorry I won't be able to attend. I'll be in Ohio visiting family on a MUCH needed vacation.

I would be willing to help out some members here on saber-building techniques, tips and suggestions and all that. It doesn't matter to me if it's at one of your meetings or someplace/sometime else. However... if some of you are looking to do some building, I have a drill press, belt sander, rivet gun, dremel tool, pipe cutters and a plethora of other tools and gadegets at my disposal in my garage. They come in very handy when wanting to add "greeblies" (a geeky technical term for buttons and knobs and what-not) to a saber.

I don't have anything to contribute as far as supplies go... you will have to buy your own parts. On second thought, I might have a few resin shrouds and maybe some other extra items I could possibly sell fairly cheap if they could be of use. I also have Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware and Chase Pitkin stores all 5 minutes from my place.

I can't host a big prop building event (since my garage isn't really that big), but if a few of you are interested, you could stop over, pick my brain, swap ideas, etc. I hardly read these boards anymore... so if anyone is interested, get in touch with Madkidjedi and he knows where to find me.

Later,
    PB
  21. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Paul_B Thanks for posting! Welcome (back) to the boards!

I'm sure this will be the first of many prop/costuming parties so maybe you can join us on some future date. But, I'm sure that you'll have some takers on your offer of saber help. Thanks for that!

~Doc_Bev
  22. Modernism Force Ghost

star 1
    I'm thinking of coming too. And going to check out that sale at JoAnns on the 13th.
  23. Modernism Force Ghost

star 1
    should have a good chance at the Simplicity patter #4450, which has a good tunic & Jedi-like items. What about fabrics? Unbleached muslin is light, but for the tabards a heavier fabric seems good. Lots of good choices.

another easy option would be to find a nurse's uniform top in a khaki color and modify it for the tunic. Have dug out a sewing machine and I actually remember how to use it. :)
  24. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    Just and FYI for everyone...HUGE sale at JoAnn's tomorrow. Like 50% of clearance fabrics and everything. Simplicity patterns are on sale again as well I believe. :)
  25. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4
    Yea we picked up the last ones of each of the patterens (except for the padmae outfit )at Joanne's in henrietta today, also more that enought of purple fabric to remake Darsolo's MaraJade cloak for $1.50 a yard
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.