Prop/Costume Making Party - Aug 21st

Discussion in 'Rochester, NY' started by Doc_Bev, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I picked up the new patterns today as well. I sneaked over there on the way to my family reunion. I love having Jo-Ann's across the street! :D I didn't have to time to look at the fabric section at all though...

Thanks T for calling me about the patterns!

~Doc_Bev
  2. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    For those that don't know where I live - please PM me and I'll send you my address.

~Doc_Bev
  3. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Shweet I just won a Bandolier off Ebay!
    That'll help with Jama!

4. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
  5. wookie_cookie Jedi Knight

star 1
    I might bring this antique sewing machine my mom has, it is portable, but I have no idea how to use it..lol. It all depends if I can get my sister to go, she has actually used it before. I found some boots at DSW warehouse last week, whoo hoo. The leather has been a challenge, but I still have time...
  6. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    I used vinyl for my first set of straps.

If you're lucky, you should be able to find light brown leather straps at Wal-Mart in the trim section. At one time, they should it by the yard. That's where I got my new stuff from. :D Then you'll just have to paint it.
  7. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Woo Hoo! I'm very excited! I just sent some money down to a NYC FanForcer to get the green velvet material for me for the Padme dress. So now I have that, a Rebel Fleet Trooper and new Jedi Robes on my personal to do list before Halloween! I had wanted the new Jedi Robes for Dragon*Con, but I don't see that actually happening...

Well, I'd better get back to cleaning so you folks have places to work when you get here Sunday!

~Doc_Bev
  8. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    Cool. I hope to have a Rebel Trooper costume made eventually. The Helemets a major set back for me though, as is the holster.
  9. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    We should list the project(s) that we're all hoping to work on Sunday, as it will help us all coordinate. And, it might help Nicky and Darren with planning the use of their space into "workstations". I'll go first, and in order of importance to me (what I want done most is on list first...)

1. Repair/se-set shoulder-tuck on outer Anakin tunic
    2. Modify Rubies Anakin glove with more film accurate supplies (Pending. Must find said supplies)
    3. Slap together (sew) inner Anakin tunic (had material since outer tunic was crafted!)
    4. Fix boot spats (re-dye and re-glue)
    5. Time allowing, craft all-new outer (and inner, fabric) tabbards.
    5. Help Darren with vac-form molds (okay, this one could be considered higher on the list...)

Looks like I'll be hitting Jo-Ann's and Home Depot between now and Sunday...
  10. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes - that would be very helpful. We have a limited amount of sewing machines so having each persons prioritized to do list would help with the time sharing.

For those interested in making the PT Jedi communicators I found that Target in Greece has a whole bunch of the handles for $3. They're probably still around at other places too - although I know that the Ridgemont Wegmans doesn't carry them.

~Doc_Bev
  11. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Wingnuts Wish List

1. Black Jedi Robe if Diane comes
    2. Jawa Robe if Katie has found material
    3. Black Jedi Tunic if I can find material

I'll be working prolly a lot more on the Vac Table side and prop building than anything else. I'll be with Darren, Duane, Akya, and Dean working on molds. My GF Jodie might come because she wants to meet everyone but I dont know for sure.
  12. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Wingnut-

A black Jedi tunic? I've got just what you're looking for, and it should be perfect (though, maybe you'll need to swap it at the store from whence it came for a different size...?). It's a brand-friggin' new Karate ghi, in black, heavyweight cotton, size 5. I dunno... it's pretty nice size, so it might do the trick. Thing was, the store (Continental Martial Arts on Monroe Ave. in the city) does not give cash refunds, so I was stuck with it after I purchased it around the time of C3. I resolved to not try to dye it to a dark brown Anakin-esque color, and instead try to sell it, or keep it for a dark Jedi outfit myself. If you like, it could be yours... I will bring it Sunday. Bring my robe! I'll have some CNSFX funds for both you and Nicky.
  13. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Ahh yes the robe!
    I was supposed to bring that over but my car has been a very bad piece of rusted crap this week and travel is limited to and fro work. At least I got the parts I needed so I'll be under the hood tonight.

I still think the hardest thing to reproduce for my sith costume is going to be the body armor :(
  14. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    At least you have a car...
  15. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Agreed Agreed I am not as lucky as most but hey, you're saving loads on gas money :)
  16. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    Just a friendly reminder to those who need things sewn...if it's a new piece of fabric make sure you wash it (and iron it)! Epecially if it's of the cotton or wool variety, that way your costume shouldn't shrink. In theory.

Obviously if you've got something like a suede or leather, etc, you shouldn't wash it. :)

I'll probably have to hit the road between 7-7:30pm on Sunday since I've got a two hour drive home, but I'll help as much as I can!

Oh, btw, if you're doing tunics and you bought a pattern (and want it to be closer to accurate) don't cut the fabric out before making the modifications. The outer tunic sleeves on the patterns usually need to be flared a bit (unless you have a kimono pattern or something similar).

For the under tunic, if you want it to have the runched sleeve look, you actually need to make the sleeve longer than your arm so you can push it back up (you can see this well in Episode II when Obi-Wan is chained to the poll thing in the arena).

The tabbards aren't tappered like they are in the patterns either, but I suppose that is personal preference as not all jedi have to be clones of one another.

If anyone needs links for pattern mods or whatever (be it jedi or anything else) let me know and I'll see what I can find.
  17. wookie_cookie Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hothgirl,
    Can you bring your padme top and harness so I can look at it? Thanks!

My project:
    Work on padme shirt, and sleeve-things. I guess that's about it..lol. My wal-mart didn't have any leather type stuff for the harness. I have a friend of a friend that makes leather holsters, I'm hoping he can help me out.

18. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    Wookie_Cookie: I will try and remember to stick that in my car!

Yeah, it took me two months after I did the costume to find the leather straps. Go figure. :p
  19. -KnightShade- Jedi Knight

star 2
    What size is the leather strapping?
    Can't you just pick it up at Craft Services downtown (University Ave. by Alexader)?
  20. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    I couldn't tell ya since I've haven't been there in close to a year. Their hours never seem to work for me when I'm in the area. But it's possible they may have something there...it's probably between an inch to an inch and a half. I'd have to check, but I think mine fell into that range.
  21. Ayka Jedi Knight

star 1
    1. StormTrooper Comlink. I have the Pictures, and Im gonna see if I can find some sort of Tutorial online. But I really have no clue where to start on this one.
    2. Fabric Belt for StormTrooper Costume. I have an Acceptable material (Atleast in my eyes ^_^), I've just gotta figure out how to do the whole thing.
    3. Molds, Molds, Molds!
    4. I'd love to fix/replace/make-better the VoiceAmp in my Armor, but I have a feeling until I get that nifty Black voice amp, this is gonna sit on the back burner.

^_^. I think thats it.
  22. Modernism Force Ghost

star 1
    Don't have a list of things to get done, I am not that organized yet. However I have another ancient sewing machine I can bring along.
  23. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    1. Have HothGirl Take measuremeants for future Han Shirt(s) if needed.

2. I will be bringing what I have done with the E11's which is
    the same as when Hothgirl saw them last
    uinfortunatly. Hopefully I can get some advice on how to go forward with certain parts and stuff. I am trying to make as many of the parts myself.

3. Dicussing any possible future costumes. Black Imp. Officer, Rebel Trooper.

4. With my Brown Han Pants I could do a simple Sand Skiff Han. All I need is binders. I can fake the shirt maybe.
  24. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yep, I do need some measurements!

Muahahahaaa!
  25. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just moving this from page 2...
    Also if people could let me know aprox times that would help in the workspace distribution. Or if someone is relying on someone else for something (for example Jeff wanting HothGirl's help) you'll know when the other person will aprox be at the party and be able to use your time more efficiently.

Interested/Attending:
    KnightShade
    Doc_Bev
    HothGirl (3PM-ish to 7PM-ish)
    RSWingnut
    Wookie-Cookie (5PM-ish)
    W-C's sister?
    T_StarFlyer
    Nevets
    SWF-JPB
    MadKidJedi
    Ayka
    Modernism (1-2pm-ish)
    Diane

Tentative:
    TD-027

Unavailable:
    Paul B.

Something MadKidJedi said reminded me - the convenient thing about having this at my place is that Lowe's (for sabre pieces, etc) and Jo-Ann's (for fabric, etc) are both right across the street within walking distance. :D

Folks are welcome to come over anytime after 11am. Just PM me for my address if you don't know where I live already. We could do pizza for lunch and/or dinner. Or we could cook stuff on the grill or there's plenty of restaurants and fast food joints all along W Ridge Road. Might be a good idea for folks to bring a 2-litre of their favorite soda to share as all we normally stock is water, milk and juice.

Oh, and if you think you're going to be helping KnightShade - don't wear good clothes as you'll get very dusty.

Ayka - KS found some needle files while cleaning the basement that he mentioned would be good for doing work on your frown.

~Doc_Bev
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.