main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Proposal - Ignorance as bannable offense

Discussion in 'Communications' started by -_-_-_-_-_-, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I see a lot of this in the forums these days, namely in the JCC. Would it be possible to make ignorance, intolerance, and the practice of each a bannable offense?

GK: Going nowhere since being upped.

2. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I don't know if this is a reasonable request.

3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    And what are your proposed indicators for ignorance? If someone wants to argue that the sky is purple, do we ban them?

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    There's a difference between ignorance and idiocy.

5. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Well I think this one is likely going to result in a resounding 'no'. I don't know if you're serious with this or not, but if you are then it's an impossible policy. Deeming someone to be ignorant is an opinion and doesn't mean it's necessarily true.

6. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    It makes about as much sense as half of the other rules in this place. I say go for it.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    This could be so badly abused in a forum like the Arena.

Actually, that really applies anywhere.

8. ellybeanjay

ellybeanjay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2000
    One of the boards that I post at has a 15/15 rule - you're supposed to either read 15 pages back, or 15 days back, whichever is shortest. If you post something where you obviously haven't read 15/15, your post will be edited out completely by a mod.

I say we institute that rule.

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I think Dashy is getting at people who post hate-speech, like the ones who said Ted Kennedy should die, etc.

10. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I post at another board that has a rule that states that you must have read the last 15 days or 15 pages of a thread, to cut down on redundancy and streamline conversation. I think that might be a good rule to implement here.

11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I like it.

Two issues--
    1--If Chirs is mentioning hate speech, then I think the policy does need to be evaluated. Some of the recent posts (and the Ted Kennedy ones spring to mind) should not be tolerated on the boards. The amount of hatred and violent anger was unacceptable.
    2--On a lighter side, ignorance must be banned. We should redefine ignorance on a case to case basis...always subject to change depending on circumstances. There shouldn't be any coherent definition of what ignorance entails...leave it wide open.

-Seldon

12. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Is ignorance really considered an 'offense'? Does it offend people? And if so, how are we supposed to put ourselves in a position to judge opinion? If someone wants to say, "Oh yeah, that Ted Kennedy, he deserves that tumor because of all those things he's done" or "You guys have heard Obama is a Muslim, right?", are we to now judge that? Are we to say that your opinion is below ours because it's ignorant and we're therefore going to ban you?

Flaming is banable. That's easy to pick up on. Flaming is a direct, concentrated, deliberate attack on someone. What's ignorance's offense? People might be offended by it, but in a "I'm going to take that how I want to take it" manner. It's not direct or with purpose. The definition of ignorance is a lack of knowledge, education and/or awareness. It's not a purposeful attempt to get a rise out of people. If it was, then that we would be baiting, which we do ban for. So I would argue that we do ban certain types of ignorance based on the defined points we have set through years of shaping the current rules.

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Nowhere in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights does it say that we have a right to walk around and never be offended. What is ignorant and intolerant to you is not to another person. Things that are ignorant and intolerant to me might not be so to you. What you are proposing is unfair and impossible to enforce.

14. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Yeah, but nowhere in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights does it say we can't post a picture of a cartoon bee standing next to the letter S either. The Constitution isn't really the issue here :p

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Epic sisterly fail!

16. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    ELLYBEANJAY: http://boards.theforce.net/communications/b10006/28514405
    ELLYBEANJAY: post about twop's 15/15 rule
    ELLYBEANJAY: it'll be funny, cuz it means you haven't read
    mangojellytoast: eh
    mangojellytoast: I bet someone stupid like *[censored]* doesn't get it

et tu, dp?

17. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Lol ironic dp4m fail.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No, I "got" it, thanks. I just felt like being the one to comment on the epic failness of the post. Plus, this is Comms, so now with your coordinated trolling you and Carmen will be gone forever... mwahahahahahahaha...

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    My comment was directed more at the people in this country who are offended by anything and everything. It was a broad and general "big picture" commentary on the state of our society. I did not intend to apply the Constitution directly to this issue.

20. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    My original motivation for posting this thread was in response to several posters in JCC who seemed to condone using the Qur'an for target practice. I'm not Muslim, but obviously people should give respect to others and their viewpoints even if they do not share them. Obviously the percentage of Muslim posters on these boards is small, if non-existent but respect should still be given to their religion.

The idea that some people took this thread outside of its satirical nature is amusing in itself.

21. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Satire? In Comms?

Hmph.

And some people expect to be taken seriously here.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's true, but what the hell's the point?

I would no sooner condone advocating the usage of a Qu'ran as a sniper practice target than I would a Torah or Bible (or any other religious text) and, personally would find it disrespectful.

But there's nothing ILLEGAL or, really, even IMMORAL about it. It just shows poor judgment, especially where it was done, but if we can burn the US flag, a copy of the Constitution/Declaration of Independence/etc. or anything else of that nature as both entertainment and satire as well as it being EXPRESSLY legal to do so... then what's the point?

23. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    Why do people believe that US law is the ONLY law in the world? The incident in question happened in a country where the act is EXPRESSLY ILLEGAL according to both the local and international law.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Because, and I admit I may be wrong about this, the US-held zones are considered "US soil" at the moment.

But, honestly, the comments in the thread were "I don't understand why you don't think it's wrong," not "It's illegal where it took place."

25. ellybeanjay

ellybeanjay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2000
    That's not entirely true - I know that soldiers in Iraq aren't allowed to drink.

As a side note, I think that we already had the ignorance discussion. See: Mormon Garments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.