main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Pros vs Cons - and why you have faith in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Metal Lord, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal Lord

Metal Lord Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2016
    Hello, people just want to be happy, I guess. It's nice that many are full of joy because of TFA.

I would like to share my Star Wars experiences in short form and ask you for your views to contradict my worries.

My background:
    -watched the OT on tv and liked it - especially ROTJ because it combined a lot of adventure, fun and was the climax of the whole story.

-was not interested in TPM and AOTC, but ROTS caught my interest and when I saw it in a movie theater it exceeded my expectations - I loved the places, aliens, the dark, grim story, the emotional conflict, the historical reference, that awesome duel on Mustaphar and the fallout.

-watched TPM, AOTC and ROTS on tv and still love ROTS. Also like TPM, very fun, entertaining and a great blend of practical and digital effects. AOTC has some nice action scenes, but feels too long / boring in other places to me.

-watched TFA last year and left the theater with mixed feelings:

As a stand alone film, it was entertaining and fun. As a sequel to the saga, I have several worries, that I cannot peace or answer at the moment:

-Will Kylo really step out of Vader's shadow?

-Did the portrayal of Luke, Han and Leia not hurt this trio? Luke hid away, Han smuggles again, he and Leia are no longer together...

-Will the ST integrate itself into the overarching story of the Skywalkers/the chosen one or just feel like an additional chapter outside of the overarching story? If so, then it's killing the beauty of the symmetry that we have from Episode I - VI.

-Regarding imagination and worldbuilding, from my point of view the episodes I, III, IV and V are all very strong. TFA feels mundane/pedestrian compared to them. Sure, we have nice bits like the freezing of the phaser bolt, mind probing and a nice design of Kylo's saber (one of my favorite designs), but overall we got 3 very earthly looking planets. Plus: the repeated beats would have been ok, if they weren't so blatantly obvious. What are your thoughts regarding creativity and the choice of directors for Ep. VIII - IX?

Please argument against these points. I wait for TFA to be available on Sky and then watch it again - maybe I will like it better than the first time. ;)

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I am an old-school fan who has seen all of the films in the theater on their original runs. The only Star Wars film I really don't like is ROTS.

Why I have faith in the ST: I love the new cast of heroes. Finn, Rey and Poe are each fantastic in their own way. I can't wait to see their stories unfold. I also look forward to Luke and Leia passing the torch to these new heroes and helping them save the galaxy.

I don't like the villains at all but that's all the more reason to enjoy seeing them get defeated.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  3. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    I've always had faith. Granted, it's a bumpy road with Disney and the ST starting out like this but we'll see.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    All of these discussion points have been, and are being discussed in various other threads, ad nauseam. We don't need another thread to discuss them yet again. Please, take your questions to the various appropriate threads. Locking.

Ricardo Funes and EHT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.