main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hawaii Prospective Resident

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Gilbu_Cotac, Aug 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilbu_Cotac

Gilbu_Cotac Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2002
    I have never been to any part of the islands, but I am seriously considering moving to Hawaii. I would like to get a theatre-type/acting job or possibly get my masters in a theatre field. And I figured I would check with some fellow Star Wars fans for suggestions. Have any ideas on a good location for me?

I just need to get off the mainland...

Dang it's boring here.

2. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    living in Hawaii costs the same or more than New York City, Washington DC, San Francisco, Los Angeles. We have a very high cost of living as everything is shipped or flown in. I would suggest you get yourself one of those long excursion round trip plane tickets that allow you to be here for the longest time, so your return ticket is paid for. If you change your ticket return date, I think it's a $50 fee.

I don't know what your opportunities are for acting here. We don't have much. Jobs are tight here. Tourism is down due to economy and 9-11 fears, but we are quite safe here. You should visit and look for a job and figure if you can afford to live here. Read our newspapers online, honoluluadvertiser.com and honolulustarbulletin.com. More residents are moving to California and Las Vegas to look for employment.

3. The___

The___ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I just came back from a trip to Washington state. A lot of people from Hawaii moved up there to make a better living. While the trip was fun, I was very homesick. It was an eye-opener, since I've had the desire to move to the mainland in recent years. Hawaii is the place for me, as high as the cost of living is. It is a beautiful state, and I am proud of this place (except for the crazy drivers and lack of aloha due to road rage here). I would recommend living here because it is a nice place.

As for acting opportunities, I do not know much on the matter. I do know that there is a Community Theatre in Diamond Head. They seem to put on some pretty successful productions. And my community college has a Theater & Drama program, as does UH-Manoa. Although I'm not sure you are interested in Theater acting, though.

I also noticed that you stated that it's boring on the mainland. I had many friends from the mainland who constantly complained about how there is nothing to do here, and how it's so boring compared to the mainland. They have since moved back to the mainland. So I'm throwing that as a bit of caution. You may consider it to be more boring here, but I hope not :D .

Oh yeah, and you also asked about a location. I'm trying to think of a decent area you could live in, but the nice communities are very expensive to live in. Maybe you could move down with a friend or two so you can split the rent.

4. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    well, for starters, regular gas is almost $2.00 a gallon. Milk is almost $5.00 a gallon. Bread is $2.00 a loaf. Meat is very high. Vienna sausage, spam, and steamed rice are the staples. A studio apartment in a decent area is about $800-$1000. If you go to the slums, it's around $700, but you'll get robbed and beaten up since you're not from here. A studio apt in the concrete jungle of Waikiki is $1200 a month. The bus drivers are going on strike Aug 26. I'm not trying to discourage you, but want you to realize it is very expensive here to live. If you're looking into acting to make a living, there isn't anything. The theater groups here are for your love of the art; you don't make any money. Acting in movies is very limited. We have so many limitations that while studios would love to film here more, the state's requirements, high cost of labor, and limited materials/supplies make it very expensive. So when filming does occur here, it's because it's actually cheaper than going to some remote locations and foreign concerns. You can sign up with AGVA and SAG to be an extra, but don't hold your breath. Jobs are not too plentiful, since tourism is down due to economy and terrorism worries, but we seem to be the safest place, so far, no problems. It is a lovely place to live, if you enjoy the outdoors. Lots of cultural things to do here, and outdoor sports, or just sleeping/relaxing under a coconut tree with a good book next to the ocean. But you hafta have some source of income already, unless your parents will pay for it. It is a great place to visit (bring lotz of money), but staying on as a resident brings alot of challenges. I still would suggest you come for a visit and check it out before deciding whether to stay here or not.

5. Gilbu_Cotac

Gilbu_Cotac Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2002
    Thanks for the help. I was planning on visiting first, of course, to check out things like cost of living. Are locals really hard on the mainlanders? I had heard that they might be, but I thought it was just a generalization. For a mainlander, I think I'm pretty chilled out and nice, if that helps. And, I was thinking if there were acting jobs it would be nice. I don't have to have an acting job, I work in a locker factory right now. I would like to get into it as a career someday, but I have a BA in Theatre Arts, so as long as I just act, community theatre or whatever, I'm cool. The thing is, I just graduated and I realize I have my whole life ahead of me. Might as well have a good time with it!

PS-- I do like nature. That's one of the changes I would love. I live in a small town on the high plains of Colorado. Not much but flat with the mountains two hours to the west. Boring.

6. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    I assume you're single. Have your adventures now. Someday when you settle down with wife and kids, these adventures will all be memories, and I hope you have some great memories to tell your kids about.

Just don't go living in the slummy areas, and you'll be ok. Manoa Theater is right behind the University of Hawaii. The Army puts on theatrical shows every year, about 4 shows, I think. Diamond Head Theater also puts on several shows a year. There's enough to get your hands into, but nothing to support your rent and food habits totally. They are works of luv only.

You might even consider working on your masters degree at UH or at another university; you might be able to stay in the dorm for like the first semester or so to get aclimated here; then you can rent a place with other starving students. There's several private universities here.

7. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I moved from the Mainland to the Big Island after only one visit. A lot of people were really bored once they got to Hawai'i (especially the Big Island) as there really isn't a lot to do, especially late at night, unless you like nature.

Once I became attuned to the slower pace of the islands, I grew to love it. That is one of the things I miss most about living there. How laid back people are, how casual everything is.

I don't miss the insane cost of living or the horrible job market. I still get way too happy when I see bread for $1.00 after living in Hawai'i.

Given the opportunity, I'd move back there in a heartbeat. There is just something so special about the Hawaiian islands and the people who call them home.

Aloha :)

8. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    Feel the islands here; come join us anytime.

9. Nanashi

Nanashi Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2001
    hey i'm moving to hawaii in april. my husband is in the navy and we are getting stationed at pearl harbor. anyone near there?

10. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    I drive by there everyday to/from work. I live by Diamond Head, and work at Schofield Barracks, a 30 mile trip each way for me.

glad to help you. Hope you join our FF. Have lost a few to PCS moves, so there's just a few of us now. We do things with the 501st here; they are really cool. Preston is a Marine; he just returned from Iraq.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.