main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Protesting Eglington Closure

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by THEREALSHMII, Feb 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    There was a photo and a brief article in The Star yesterday in regard to people protesting the closure. The article was extremely small and doesn't mention if there is a petition going around or where to go for more infomation. Does anyone who lives downtown have more info?

I will keep the article for anyone who want to see it.

2. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    I know this is weird to ear that from a montrealer, but a couple of months back I saw the Eglinton on the front page of a bussiness paper here in quebec,they said it was something about business was good, but competition was hard. however, they were not thinking of cloding it but indeed doing a make over or something

what happenned?????

3. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Tracy, would you mind typing up the article if it isn't too long?

Would a petition help at all?

4. SLam

SLam Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 1999
    Wasn't the story behind the closing of the Eglington (and the Uptown), not really due to Famous players loosing money, but the fact that they were sued by a bunch of social activists to force Famous Players to build access into the theaters for the physically disabled?

The Eglinton is an old movie theater, build before accessability was a consideration. To put it in, would have cost millions, and since Famous Players couldn't keep it open with out the changes, they had to close it down.

The concept of "scorched earth" comes to mind when I think about this situation. Since some people can't use the theater... the I guess no one can. It's a shame, it's a part of Toronto's history.

5. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    The article was located on B5 of the Monday's Star. It has a very large picture of a gentleman holding a sign reading SAVE THE EGLINTON NOW. The photo was by Ken Faught.

It read:

Bryan grimes is among about 50 protesters trying to save the Eglington theatre west of Ave Rd. Famous Players has announced it will close the Eglington, as well as the Uptown and backstage theatres, reflecting a larger industry trend towards larger compelexes. The Eglington, due to close April has been a Toronto landmark since 1936.

6. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    Can we contact the writer of the article to get intouch with Bryan Grimes or others, to lend our support of the protest.

7. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    [link="http://www.pulse24.com/Showbiz/Top_Story/20020218-003/page.asp]CP24 Article on Closing[/link]

Could there still be hope?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.