main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Protocol/Order 66 - IF Palpatine was focused on killing or hunting down Master Yoda?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by The Sith Camp, May 19, 2015.

1. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    I came to wondering in ROTS - where Palpatine simply put was content to enjoy feeling the suffering of the Jedi being killed and dying by the time of Order/Protocol 66 and YET he pretty much didn't follow up too much or invest more time and resources in hunting down Master Yoda other than just demanding the Clone Troopers to 'DOUBLE THEIR SEARCH' and that he had more pressing matters being Anakin on Mustafar BUT surely then whilst the majority of the Jedi were cleaned out and the Jedi Order did take a serious blow - yet we know how Master Yoda and Obi-Wan Kenobi and well (the then baby Luke and Leia) would be pivotal to the Return of the Jedi and yet Palpatine didn't 'give a Force' too much about it ... and yet this ignorance and hubris would lead to the fall of the Galactic Empire ... surely then Palpatine would have done his homework and realized that in particular Master Yoda being the Grandmaster of the Jedi Order and Obi-Wan Kenobi - being still one of the finest and seasoned Jedi High Council Masters in his own right and yet Palpatine didn't put too much focus when SURELY he should know the principle if one does not eliminate all of the opponents or the saying 'as long as a piece is alive and given time ... it can return' ... and this is what happened - and the fact that in the EU we see various Jedi whom survived Protocol/Order 66 for the matter ... and the fact that Papatine himself surely would have ensured Master Yoda or Obi-Wan Kenobi would have been a priority to hunt down at the very least if he couldn't kill them eh? I mean IF Palpatine was more prudent and done his homework ... would things have been different? Or it wouldn't have mattered then? Or the fact he may have even tried to hunt down Luke and Leia or the fact he could have had them either killed or converted to Sith/Empire Assassins not too unlike Mara Jade, the Inquisitor or such ...

2. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Pure "what if" threads aren't quite the purview of Saga, but this also has the element of 'why did Palpatine do it this way'-type speculation, which actually ties in well - because I think the answer (out of universe) has to do with the way the films were constructed in an additive way, with backstories changing between them and characters being invented, etc. For example, if a Jedi master like Yoda had been a bit more guru-ish for all his life (or at least the time encompassing the PT timeframe), becoming a Jedi wasn't quite so heavily weighted towards inborn factors (both things from the RotJ-era backstory, iirc, that were set into slightly different stone circa the prequels), and there was no Anakin's-progeny-as-sub-chosen-ones-who-absolutely-must-be-trained-to-save-the-universe... and Palpatine wasn't running the latest iteration of a centuries-long religious feud... Then the question may not even be available to be asked.

In-universe, I'm sure we can figure something out.

3. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Hello! Um apologies if I posted What-Ifs (I might post quite a few in the next few weeks) BUT where would it be better to post these threads?

4. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    It's interesting that while Palpatine wants to ensure Yoda is taken out, he initially tries to flee the scene when Yoda challenges him to a duel in ROTS. Clearly, Palpatine only wanted to move against Yoda when he had the overwhelming advantage, and by the time the clones got there, Yoda was long gone. Even with more resources, he would have had a hard time finding Yoda or Obi-Wan, as post-ROTS, they had both gone to ground and became extremely difficult to find. I have no doubt Palpatine put some effort into tracking them down after, but a) he had no idea where either one of them were, and b) even if he did, good luck searching every nook and cranny of Dagobah or the Jundland Wastes.

5. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    That's a good question, actually. Depending on how in depth they are, or if they can be expanded beyond just the singular situation, the film forums might be okay... (Which is why I left this one here). In general I'd probably err on the side of Star Wars Community. I suspect this rule on what if threads is mostly to protect against 'what if Han Solo was a wampa???'-type silliness, and associated more serious questions that could still have the potential to overwhelm a forum if they proliferate.

6. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Hello again! Point taken :) Feel free to move my threads if they do not fit the forums ...

BTW not to bug you but so what form of payment would you choose if 'Republic Credits ...' would NOT DO FINE haha :)

7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    Um... Something fungible, like maybe tibanna gas canisters. Or pallets of those crackers Leia gave to Wicket.

I think we can leave things like this, since it can expand outside a simple 'what if X -> then Y' construction.

8. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015

Hmm true, but then again didn't Palpatine for the matter in the Canon and EU he did want complete dominance and control over the Galaxy and the fact if he bothered with the Death Star following Grand Moff Tarkin's advice, subjugating rebellions, playing his spies and assassins against one another in games, 'testing' Anakin all the time and finding a new and more Powerful Apprentice to fill the role once Anakin was in excess of his services ... and the fact in the EU where Anakin - well he had Galen Marek to try to help him overthrow Palpatine ... I mean the fact look at Darth Maul whom Palpatine practically didn't 'give a Force' about and yet he bothered to investigate and personally intervene the moment he sensed Darth Maul and at Mandalore for the matter ... and yet surely with Master Yoda ... he still would have done his homework eh? I mean you know how in other films and such if one kills the leader or the boss of the bad guys - usually the followers will surrender or give up ... unless they've got a do-or-die mindset ...and the fact 'as long as a piece is alive ... it can always come back...'

9. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

Or the entire galaxy.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Yoda at least chose somewhere he knew that it would be nearly impossible to find him again. All that humid vegetation messes with electronic scanners, the darkness masks his own power, and trying to find one small green froggy critter in a swamp presumably full of small green froggy critters would be far easier said than done even if said critter wasn't one of the oldest and most experienced beings in the galaxy... and being hunted by Stormtroopers. Besides, even if they DID find him they couldn't keep hold of him...

"We found Yoda!"
    "No you haven't. A mistake, you made."
    "No we haven't. A mistake we made."

And off he goes. Or just cuts his way out if he's in a bad mood.

PCCViking and Iron_lord like this.
  11. dennabfokcos

dennabfokcos Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2015
    It has always bother me that just 2 clones try to kill him n Kashyyk, they should have waited for more troops

The Sith Camp likes this.
  12. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015

Well then again perhaps Palpatine had decided it was time for Order/Protocol 66 and the fact most of the Jedi were spread about and the fact Mace Windu had been pretty much dispatched and dead and Anakin had just joined the Sith and the fact it was just ripe for Order/Protocol 66 to commence and that was about it ... and the fact perhaps it was assumed the Jedi of all ranks and experience had been with their Clone Troopers for a while now and hence they wouldn't suspect it - both in the EU and Canon - and the fact the Neurochip hadn't been found until Season 6 in the Lost Missions ...

Otherwise - perhaps Palaptine should have 'assigned' Master Yoda or had his attention on another world rather than Kasshyyk eh?

13. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Woops sorry Admin - Moderators - I triple posted by accident - is there a way to delete the spam? My comp was slow :(

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think the idea is that in the aftermath of Order 66 and Vader's rebirth as a cyborg, the Empire did divide its resources between hunting down the last remnants of the Jedi Order, as well as establishing the peace and security of the Empire. According to "Rebels", we know that over time, the Empire recruited Force users who were trained in the dark side and their job was to go out and find the missing Jedi. That was the task of the Inquisitor in season one. It is also possible that bounty hunters were recruited to fulfill these tasks. In "The Siege Of Lothal", Vader thinks that Obi-wan is still alive though Palpatine doesn't. It is possible in Yoda's case, going by the fact that Vader and Sidious never mention him, that Yoda is presumed dead.