main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Provo FanForce Blood Drive

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by navaren, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navaren

navaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    All right, guys, here's the details.

Because the Utah Valley Donor Center is going to be closed on April 13, I have spoken to a representative at the Salt Lake County center. The Salt Lake Donor Center is located at 6616 South 900 East in Murray, Utah right off of I-215. We are welcome to come in next Saturday and I will need a firm, set in stone commitment from everyone who participates. If we have people dropping out, it will hurt our image as well as the goal numbers for the Red Cross.

These are the time slots available as of today:
    9:00
    9:15
    9:30
    9:30
    9:45
    9:45
    10:15
    10:30
    10:30
    10:45
    10:45
    11:15
    11:30
    11:45
    11:45
    12:00
    12:15
    12:30
    12:45
    12:45
    1:00
    1:15
    1:15
    1:30

I will be going in one of the first time slots, and Michael (boraccio) will be hitting a slightly later slot. Please let me know about this immediately so we can get our appointments set up.

Thanks, guys.

2. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    Sorry, but now that its been changed to the 13th I won't be able to make it. :(

3. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I've got stuff on the 13th
    and I don't like needles

and this has nothing to do with Star Wars

4. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    Adam that doesn't matter. Its a good deed.

5. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    All right....two people who can't participate. Surely there are others who agreed to attend while at the Jedi Olympics.

And to address Spoo's concern about this not being a directly "Star Wars" event- I have to agree with Rory. This is a good deed. We have a group who have the ability to help the Red Cross, who is in dire need of blood at this time.

6. Marna_Veign

Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Salt Lake?! I don't know if my car will get me there. If I can get a ride with someone, I'll gladly postpone moving that day to give my blood. Anyone willing to help? Please PM me if you can. I don't peek in here very often.

My husband may also be willing to donate, and he doesn't like needles!

7. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I need to check with my dad and see what time is good for him. Not sure if he can donate though.

Is there anything we need to do before we donate? Like certain things we are supposed to eat or not do that day?

8. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    Nope- just come as you are. After you've donated, you'll be sent to a refreshment area where you can get your feet under you again and your blood sugar up.

9. Boraccio

Boraccio Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2001
    You will probably want to eat before you go, and drink plenty of water. There is always a chance of being light headed, or passing out, but if you do that you will significantly reduce your risk.

10. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    This is one of those few times that I'm glad I'm not able to do something because of age.

11. Marna_Veign

Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Thanks for mentioning that, Boraccio. I forgot that I always get lightheaded. I'm just glad that I'm hypoglycemic rather than diabetic like my Mom, so I can still donate. James still has to decide.

But whatever he decides, this time I will not be bringing my baby. ;)

12. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    We have had four people commit to donating blood on Saturday. I understand that a few of you have other obligations on that day, and you will be missed.

My personal thanks go to Marna, Marold, and Boraccio for their understanding that we have a greater responsibility to the community and to ourselves.

13. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    scratch my friend off, he just got his ears peirced so he can't donate.

14. Ben_Sch-

Ben_Sch- Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    You can count me in if I can catch a ride with someone from Provo. No gas in my car and can't afford to put more in right now.

-Ben Sch-

15. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    Great! I need all participants to PM me with their first and last name and phone number so we can get your appointments set on a more permanent basis. I spoke to the Red Cross rep yesterday, and he was pleased that we'd rounded up as many people as we had.

Ben, I'm going to see if I can borrow a second vehicle so we can get everyone up who needs rides. If you're willing to donate, I'm willing to bend over nearly backwards to accomodate you.

Marold, I understand about your friend not being able to donate. Three of my friends have been disqualified as well (two are returning from South America on Thursday, and the other is a pilot). Will he still be bringing you to the center?

16. Ben_Sch-

Ben_Sch- Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    Navaren:

I can use my car if people can help donate gas money. It will seat 5 people legally and up to 10 non legally. It will be fine driving down there the only problem is gas.

-Ben Sch-

17. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Yes, he will still be able to bring me. Course he won't live this one down. I know he can donate in 90 days. Don't even ask me why he got his ears pierced in the first place.

18. Ben_Sch-

Ben_Sch- Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    I will be able to drive for sure now. I just got paid and have money to put gas in my car.

-Ben Sch-

19. LeiaTygre

LeiaTygre Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2002
    As I seem to have a permanent cold and Murray is too far away for my pocket book, I don't think I'll be able too. I've been wanting to donate blood forever but something always comes up so that I can't. And LiberalDrew isn't allowed to donate blood either. Sorry.

20. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Well I think the blood drive was a success today. It was my first time and I enjoyed it. and I'm sure the six others that were there enjoyed it as well.

21. Ben_Sch-

Ben_Sch- Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    I also enjoyed it except for the part when I passed out while driving home and rolled my car fortunately Yoda was there to save me. Man they took to much blood from me I am hallucinating. well ok none of that really happened but hey it was fun met 6 others and helped out the Red Cross also.

-Ben Sch-

22. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    I almost didn't make it today, my friend and I nearly took a detore where some very very nice guys were pushing dirt around without shirst on. *whips drool from mouth* But it was a for a good cause and it was more important. :D Course with the loss of blood I forgot about them until after I finished my shopping.

23. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    Thank you all so much for coming. It was nice to meet a few people we hadn't before, and I think it was all for a great cause.

Everyone recovering all right?

24. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Oh I was fine after the purple elephants went away. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.