main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Provo FanForce Effects/Fanfilm listing

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Jedi_Cougar, Mar 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Hey everybody. I was thinking that a lot of people here have done some really neat effects having to do with Starwars. However, most of the things aren't hosted at TFN theater, but rather are mentioned scattered throughout this board. Lets have everyone that has made stuff post links on this thread, then everyone can see what everyone into effects and such has done.

I'll go ahead and start. I have done a bit of rotoscoping and have learned from a couple projects how to do it well. (I think) Here is one example of my stuff, unfortunately without sound.
    Greeen Lightsaber

Then here is a group of 4 screen shots of my new attempt at making the blade look a little less fuzzy and more concentrated.
    screenshots

Mind you, that green one is the 2nd time i had ever tried rotoscoping. Anyway, with regard to the blue saber one, I should have it up next week and this time with sound. ah, glorious saber sound.

Finally, check out the Virtual Edition and scroll down to the bottom where the months are archived. I have several pictures posted in both April and May from 2001. The guy that does the site hasn't updated in a long time, but all my pictures are still there. You will see the "artist's" name next to each picture so each one with a "Ryan" is mine.

Oh and the one with Jango's ship on Kamino, TFN featured it along with another one from virtual edition in this article. It mentions my image after the other better one, but hey... ;-)

This was a long and boastful post, but I think a couple people here can beat me at effects so I'm sure this'll be a great thread.

I guess post anything that you've manipulated or created. Heck artwork, fanfilms, effects tests, etc...whatever.

Jedi_Cougar out...

btw I haven't made it to any activities yet, I'm thinking there is a good chance for this one coming up...hehe

2. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    Your blue lightsabers look tons better. The green just had problems, but I can see you fixed them.

As far as my effects things go...........

On my Visual Effects page you can see some of my most recent compositing and lightsaber tests that I've done. I've been trying extremely hard to make my lightsabers and compositing look perfect so that when I start a short film this summer before my mission I can have them look good.

I also have a small gallery of screenshots from my fanfilm. They were done about 6 months ago and my skills have improved significantly since then, thank goodness.

Then if you really want to you can check out my webpage where there are some other things scattered about, especially in the art gallery section.

So that's the most part of the stuff that I have on the net. Lets see what everyone else has.

3. allenj456

allenj456 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2002
    As some of you migh know Im officially part of the SLC FF (well, I will when it becaome official) put Im very much into films and since we're so close....I'm a film major at the U as well as having a very solid background in fencing and western swordplay. I even taught fencing for a few years and have been instructed in scottish broadsword use. ( or backsword depending on your salle de escrime ;-) As such I'd love to e considered to hlp in any way I can to a fan film. I also am in my 5th semester of screenwriting and love that. I have directed and shot several shorts and am a working actor with SL based McCarty Agency. THough I don't personally have any eqipment, I am familar with most digital cameras as well as with editing systems (adobe 6.0 and Final Cut 2) Need help with acting, writing, directing, post- production, anyhting- feel free to ask. Thanks!

4. Jedi_Cougar

Nov 14, 2001
    Toran-Kal...dude, your stuff rocks.

Your composites are absolutely amazing, especially the video you have of the alien jedi from the "Making of" documentary. It is extremely professional.

Dang, I had only seen your fanfilm. This stuff is first class. What software did you use?

5. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    Thanks cougar!!! I'm glad you like it. I've been working really hard with that kind of stuff recently. I'm starting a short movie as soon as I'm done with school, so I want to get better before then.

As far as the software goes - for ALL of the recent compositing and lightsabers I've been using Commotion 4. I used After Effects for the invisible thing. I also used After Effects for everything in my movie, and 3D Studio Max for the animation in it.

6. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I agree, it is awesome. What you need to do, is add in another person he's fighting.
    A computer generated figure, like that thing that someone made of Clay's clip.
    most of the time you wouldn't even need to have anyone else in the screen, all you'd see is a blade.

7. Jedi_Cougar

Nov 14, 2001
    Hey Toran-Kal, or anyone else. I had consideral trouble trying to save the "making of" documentaries to my computer. I just haven't dealt with stuff like this before, because I believe starwars.com does stuff to the quicktime file making it hard for your average joe (me) to save them. I have saved them, but they wont play.

So the question is how can I save some of these web documentaries so I can play them and edit them myself and stuff?

Jedi_Couger out...

8. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    I've had the same problem Cougar. I even have Quicktime Pro and I still can't save them. You can get 2 video files and a bunch of pics from this site. The two video files are at the top in .rar format.

Hey Mike - don't you have some way to bypass their "security" measures? I would also like to save the files. Would you like to let us in on the secrets? ;)

9. Jedi_Cougar

Nov 14, 2001
    Ok, my newest thing is up. I am trying to do what Toran Kal did because I just couldn't pass this footage up after he showed me where it was.

Check out this link for it.

It is the other clip of the alien jedi, and there are quite a few problems with what I've done. I used premiere to bluescreen and photoshop to do the lightsaber. Premiere is where I went wrong...but anyway, just check it out. It kind of redeems itself with sound.

10. Sprry75

Sprry75 Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    You guys are INSANE!! That is so cool! I can't believe that you can do that kind of stuff with computers and not have it cost millions of dollars.

If you guys ever need any help, I'm in law school at the Y and I live in Provo, and I would love to work on these kinds of fan-films. I can't say I know jack about how you're doing those effects, but I can write pretty well if you need script touch-ups or treatments, and if you could put me in front of a camera and make my lightsaber look like that, I would worship you forever.

I'm seriously drooling. That stuff was wicked awesome! Great job!

11. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Dangit, I need to get Fightsaber up here!!

12. Jedi_Cougar

Nov 14, 2001
    Alright, here is my newer rendition of my little lightsaber test. Its 9 sec, in blue this time and with sound.

I could still improve on it in many ways, but I'm learning more each time I do this. I'm gonna try and do a hand held shot in the near future and put the saber glow in.

Anyway, check it out here:
    lightsaber video

I have compressed this pretty well down to 500kb so it will be download friendly for anyone on a modem.

BTW Spoo, what is Fightsaber?

13. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    Hey Coug!! Its looking REALLY good now!! I don't know if you could improve much more. :cool:

I can answer that question for you too, because its my fault that its not up here yet:
    Fightsaber is a short star wars movie that Spoo made and its about 2.5 minutes long. I'll see if I can finish it up soon.

14. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    It's not Rory's fault at all, he's waiting for me to get him one last part.

15. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    Yeah I know. I had forgotten when I wrote that. [face_blush]

So let's hurry it up Adam! :D

16. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I'll do it next week... I'm busy!

17. Jedi_Cougar

Nov 14, 2001
    Hey Handyman,

Any word yet on as to how to capture the "making of" documentaries from StarWars.com? Hehe, just curious.

Jedi_Cougar

18. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    I'm kinda wondering the same thing Mike.......... ?[face_plain]

19. Jedi_Cougar

Nov 14, 2001
    Alright all. Fun to see some of you at the March activity.

I am driving back home to Maryland Saturday. Hope all goes well with the picnic. Thought I would post this link before I take off.
    Green Lightsaber test, no audio

Unfortunately, no audio, but it looks pretty good I think. I left the shutter speed at 1/30th instead of the normal 1/60th, so the blade is "fanned" quite a bit more.

Laters, I'll check in now and again over the summer.

20. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    FZ (fanboy zealots) is still coming....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.