main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PS2 or Gamecube?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jedi_nsidE, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_nsidE

jedi_nsidE Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    Which should I get?

2. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
  3. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    If you want a large selection of games (PS2 and PSone) and online play, PS2. If you want a small selection of classic games (Rogue Leader, Smash Brother Melee, Zelda, etc.), Gamecube.

Your choice.

4. AnnixKanar

AnnixKanar Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2002
    See your are right the gamecube has only a small selection of games but they are classics and if you like lucasarts games GameCube is the one because it has every lucasarts game on it released just a bit later. But if you get the gamecube you get a bonus of rogue leader.

Super Smash Bros melee Rulz, it is the number one game.

5. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    How's about an Xbox? :D

With JSRF, Halo, all the Sega Sports games, all of EA Sports' games, KOTOR, Galaxies, and JKII on the way, the lineup compares just fine to the PS2's game lineup.

6. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    dont forget spliner cell, ghost recon, and rainbow six: raven shield..... for xbox that is

7. DarksiderGeorge

DarksiderGeorge Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2002
    I strongly agree with Jirin,if you are looking for the best current gen console, then go with the X-BOX. Dont let the X-
    BOX "haters" talk you into getting their favorite system. X-BOX IS the console of the future. All Star Wars fans should be looking at an X-BOX if they are in the market for a console! People have overooked the X-BOX for too long. Soon my friend, the sleeper awakens!!! Especially this winter....

8. Pancrase

Pancrase Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2001
    I currently have an Xbox and I am either getting a PS2 or a Gamecube in the near future.

First, I do not listen to any of this bs that these console fanboys spew. Most of it is purely opinion based.

Some peolpe say get certain systems because they have the best games. BUT, its all about what games YOU LIKE!!

Personally, I don't like games like Halo or DOA 3, but people try to tell you to buy an Xbox because of those games.

What I do to decide on a console is: Make a list of all the possible games I want for each system. If I can get a game on all 3 systems, then I cross it out, because it then has no basis for my decision in choosing a console. From there (with the games left), I then look at what console is best for me.

After that, I then look at the cost of the systems.

I include memory cards, controlers, and EVERYTHING else that would come into play when purchasing the system.

For smoe people, they NEED a 4 player hub. Therefore, the PS2 would bemore expensive. Butr for peolpe who don't really care, then it has no basis in the costs.

Basically, don't listen to all the crap people spew. Find out the types of games YOU LIKE. Not games other people like. And from the games you like (and the price of EVERYTHING else that goes along with buying the system), make your choice from there.

In my opinion, if you are making your choice on graphics or more powerful machines, then you are making the wrong choice.

Lastly, just because a system has a bigger game library, doesn't mean its the system for you. Personally, I know PS2 has a bigger game library. However, for the games I want, PS2 still doesn't have the number of games I want. Therefore, that huge library of games means very little to me as a consumer.

9. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    My favorite is PS2. MGS2, GTA3, TTT, MOH ect.

10. skrutop

skrutop Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    PS2, hands down...unless your under the age of 11, then you should get a GameCube.

11. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    PS2 has a far better selection of games such as GTA3, which should be a required purchase.

Also, PS2 can play DVDs.

12. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    I think that ps2 is better period. it also has a DVD player and a much bigger selection and better games. XBOX also rocks.

13. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    PS2 Has way better graphics and everything around.

14. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    lets make this simple...get both

15. BatzDarker

BatzDarker Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2001
    I have owned a Gamecube since December and let me say ... it rocks everything else into little tiny shards of pooh-dooh! I love everything about it, and especially that it doesn't have a DVD player. If you wanted a GAMING machinge ... then get the Gamecube, if you want a over-blown toaster with all the fixings (including a flamingo-shaped icecream maker) then you get the PS2. X-Box is right out ... an expensive computer in my opinion.

16. portman_is_so_fine

Apr 28, 2002
    the xbox is the same price as the gamecube was when you bought it back in december batz. its alot cheaper than it was, so it is just as expensive as the cube was

17. Yodas-Padawan

Yodas-Padawan Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    i am a european gamer and only got my GC a month ago but Rogue Leader kicks ass plus it has JKII, SW EPII Clone Wars and probably if the rumors are true SW Galaxies as well when Nintendo put their online plans into stone all with superior graphics. But PS2 is ok and the X-Box well lets just say breeze block!

18. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    No Galaxies (see one of the many threads on the many reasons why. I have a better chance of getting GTA3 on Xbox than the cube has of getting it) and the Xbox owns all the other consoles when it comes to graphics.

As for choosing between just PS2 and Cube and the Xbox didn't exist at all, I'd have to say PS2. If it was the same choice and I still have my Xbox I'd choose the Cube. Almost all the good games coming out for PS2 are hitting the Xbox already so in that case I would pick up the gamecube for those few that I wasn't getting.

But all those people making up stupid excuses like "the Xbox looks like a VCR" or "the PS2 looks like ________" just remember that the gamecube looks like a Jack in the box. Hmmmmm.

19. portman_is_so_fine

Apr 28, 2002
  20. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    It depends on what you are looking for in a gaming machine, Jedi_nside.
    To avoid the fanboy BS. Do the research into the pros and cons of both systems yourself. Things like games currently available, games upcoming, how fun the games appear to be, cost of the system, extra costs (other controllers, DVD remotes, memory cards etc...), Graphics, ergonomics, functionability to what you want the thing to do (Things like why get an Xbox for the ability to play DVD's if you already have a DVD player). Add them all up and then make your "informed" decision.

That's what I did when the Gamecube and the x-box came out last november, and my research lead me to conclude that the Gamecube was for me.
    I bought my cube as people in line for the X-box laughed and jeered at me. Heh, the joke's on them because I've yet to regret my purchase.

So in conclusion do the research instead of taking some nintendo/sonyphile's word for it that way you'll be sure to get the best console for you.

21. skrutop

May 19, 2002
    Man, we're having a nice fanboy flamewar and I-poodoo comes along and makes a rational argument.

Poodoo really hit the nail on the head. Find out what games you like/can't live without, and go with that. Really anymore, the games you can get are going to depend on the system that you buy. If you love Mario and the more wholesome and light games, get a Cube. If you love the more "gritty" games, get a PS2. If you love, um, Halo (and that's it) get an Xbox. Each company has made such a big thing out of "exclusive" titles, meaning that for certain liscenses (like Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, etc.) will only appear on certain systems. That means that you can't just pick a system and wait for a port of games from other systems, which sucks.

Also remember that you're asking people on a Star Wars board, so they might tell you to get an Xbox for SW: Galaxies and Knights of the Old Republic, and you should. In fact, we all should...(Petting my PS2 soothingly) "It's okay baby, I still love you." :p

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Also remember that you're asking people on a Star Wars board, so they might tell you to get an Xbox for SW: Galaxies and Knights of the Old Republic, and you should.

Or upgrade your PC for the above 2 games, plus Jedi Outcast, GTA3 and... ;)

23. skrutop

May 19, 2002
    Stay outta this P30, computers suck.....(oh wait, I'm using this one to play JO aren't I, hmmm) :)

And JO is coming out for the Xbox anyways...

24. Dark_Knight190

Dark_Knight190 Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2002
    Galaxies and Knights of the Old Republic will also be coming to the PS2. I like PS2 even though the XBOX may have superior graphics, hard drive..it doesnt have too many really good games that i have seen. sure there may be a few "planned" but to me the PS2 kicks butt. It has the best games and a giant game library. MOH should be reason enough to buy the PS2. The only reason i would buy a Gamecube is to play Rogue Leader and that's it. Oh yea another reason PS2 is great is because of the other online games coming out like Twisted Metal, Tribes, SOCOM Navy Seals and i believe Ace Combat. Well..there's my fifty cents.

25. portman_is_so_fine

Apr 28, 2002
    uhh knights of the old republic is for xbox and pc... not ps2
    it couldnt handle it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.