main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PS2 or Gamecube?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jedi_nsidE, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    KOTOR is an Xbox exclusive. And what an exclusive it is shaping up to be!

2. Dark_Knight190

Dark_Knight190 Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2002
    hmm..i highly doubt that..they said Resident Evil was an exclusive for PS..but now it's gonna be on all 3 systems..i bet it'll show up on the PS2 around the time xbox gets it

3. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    yeah, ok. dark knight. just tell yourself that

4. skrutop

skrutop Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Actually, Dark. Resident Evil is Cube exclusive, from the remade RE and on. And KOTOR is gonna be Xbox exclusive; take it to the bank.

5. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Seeing as how this is a thread on buying a PS2 or a Gamecube, I won't really comment on all the X-box stuff being thrown out there. My advice would be the PS2, unless you are really set on Mario Sunshine, Metroid, Star Fox and cel-shaded Zelda (still a mistake in my book). I'll probably get the latter three, and whichever Star Wars game is only on Gamecube right now (Clone Wars?), but other than that the Gamecube doesn't excite me much. It's a good system, don't get me wrong, and Rogue Leader is the best of that franchise in my opinion, but Gamecube simply can't compare its library to PS2's. PS2 might not have as many cute and amusing games (Jak and Dakster and maybe a few others), but it does have Grand Theft Auto 3, Gran Turismo 3, the Final Fantasy series, and Metal Gear Solid. If you are buying Gamecube for Resident Evil, I would say you are limiting yourself unless you're a huge fan of the series. PS2 has similar, and in my opinion more entertaining, games like Devil May Cry and Onimusha, both of which have sequels coming. PS2 has a larger library of games, and if you look at the "Just arrived" section of Gamestop's listing for all consoles, PS2 usually has more games at more recent dates. Gamecube still has games listed from March.

If you remove the library of games as motivation, you have these factors:

Gamecube has four controller ports, PS2 has two (but can go to eight with other purchases).

PS2 has a DVD player and Gamecube does not. A lot of people point out "Well, I already have a DVD player." And a lot of people do now, but the DVD player allows the PS2 to read DVD-rom. If you look at the back of many games for PS2 (Like Kessen, and I think FFX) you will see a DVD icon. DVD programmed disks can contain more information than a CD programmed one. This allows games like FFX to be chock-full of FMVs, dialogue and other goodies. I'm not sure if Gamecube is DVD-rom compatible, but even if it is, the disks are smaller. To get around this, they have games with multiple disks. It's a minor annoyance, but it only annoys you for about a minute during game play. Stop and get a soda.

PS2 has a hard drive planned (as opposed to the nice massive one you get automatically with an X-box, no searching for memory cards) that will allow for higher speed gaming like FFXI. As far as I know, Gamecube will not have a hard drive available.

Both have plans for online gaming, it's simply a matter of who gets there first, and how much trust you put in their proposed plans. I know for the PS2, the modem should come out before September (I believe, if what they guy at Gamestop said was true and he wasn't just trying to snowjob into preordering it now).

And one final thing the Gamecube has that the PS2 doesn't. If you have a Gameboy Advanced, and purchase a relatively cheap cable, you can link it to your GC. When playing football games, you can use it to choose plays away from the eyes of your friends. Some games (like Sonic, though you have to purchase the GBA game as well, and Animal Forest +, which doesn't require a GBA cartridge) allow you to play mini games on your GBA.

Something PS2 has that 'Cube doesn't is volume. There are around eight million PS2s in American homes now (I think), compared to a much smaller Cube number (which is of course, likely to change). But with that many units, programmers are likely to continue to make games for the PS2. It's the reason PS had such a large library of games. There were far more than ten million in the US. I don't know the numbers for other countries, but I believe PS2 is the biggest seller worldwide as well. More machines means more games. Grand Theft Auto 3 sold four million copies according to a recent magazine. What programming company doesn't want a crack at that action?

I would suggest going to a store that you frequent, or a gaming site, and read through the list of games available, and planned, for both systems. Take a look at the accessories and options. And last, but most important, if anyone says "PS2 sucks," "Gamecube sucks" or "X-box sucks," don't li

6. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Listen up:

I have always been a Nintendo fanboy. Love Mario and Zelda and all the rest. But, the limited slection of games and my past experience with the N64 made me go in another direction. I had also had a PS, but the only games I have for it are Final Fantasy games and Star Wars games. The only games I had for N64 were the two Zeldas and two SW games.

So, I bought a PS2. I love it more than any system before. THe dvd is great, but the games are so much better than anything else.
    Every game i own has brought me endless hours of fun.

The Gamecube has some good games. It will have more great games soon. So it is an option.

The x-box is the new dreamcast. it never entered my mind to buy one.

Here is the best way to sum up, witha list of the BEST games for each system. Just to let you know, I have been playing video games for 18 years, since the atari and intellivision:

PS2- Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2, NBA Street, Starfighter, Jedi Starfighter, NCAA Football 2002, MAdden 2002, Dark Cloud, Gran Turismo 3, Grand Theft Auto 3.

GC- Super Smash Bros Melee, Rogue Leader, Pikmin

X-Box- Halo.

7. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    So Starfighter, Jedi Starfighter, and Madden 2002 are good on the PS2 but not on the Xbox? Truly you are a brilliant unbiased discerner of game and console quality. I salute you, sir.

8. Dark_Knight190

Dark_Knight190 Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2002
    right on the money wampa

9. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    I was referring to if you had both systems. The x box and gamecube controller's make them not as easy to use and starfighter and jedi startfighter are virtually identical except for a few new stuff on x box. maybe they are equal, but people who have both have told me they preferred the PS2 versions for other reasons. I don't base my arguements on anything but what I know and what i hear form others who know. Thanks for not knowing crap about me, but pretending like you do.

10. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    They're all exactly the same, except for the games you can play on them.

"Just don't swallow the company line and go for the one with the games you like" is all I'm saying.

11. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    I love my PS2, but I also respect the other guys like Nintendo, who has always had the best games. But not enough of them. At this point it is not worth it to buy a GC for one mario game, one zelda and one metroid. i will wait based on my past with the Big N. As for the X box, I don't know how people think it is so great. Other than Halo and Oddworld, they have nothing that makes it worth buying over the other two. when everyone rushed out and bought a dreamcast, i stuck it out with my Ps and N64. Look what happened. I fully believe that the same will happen with the X box. Graphics mean nothing. I woul rather play the first Zelda than any game with great graphics and lousy gameplay.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Feel free to argue against people's ideas & opinions. But don't make personal attacks. Thanks.

13. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    If you are inclined to say that Nintendo has a promising future, but not a decent present, but not admit the same about the X-box, I think you are overlooking it. It is not just a graphics beast. Of all the games coming out, and after becoming addicted to Morrowind on X-box (I know there's a PC version, but I prefer controllers to keyboards, and TVs to monitors, plus buying a game I know will work on my system), I can honestly say that of all the games coming for any system, PC included, the game I am most looking forward to is Project Ego (which might go through a name change). Any RPG with the freedom of Morrowind, with the added bonus of actually having your character age from 17 to 80 is cool in my book. You can get a wife, and even have a child. If you spend most time in the sun, you will not only tan, but your skin will wrinkle more easily. If you plant a seed in the middle of nowhere and return fifty years later, you can sit in the shade from the tree. If you get cut on your arm in a fight, it will scar. If you do a lot of physical activity, your character will look bulkier. It's truly an impressive game. Let's not forget Knights of the Old Republic (granted, Old Republic makes no sense because how can you know it's old until you have a new republic, but that's another issue) and Robotech. Nintendo has games coming out that we are familiar with, and great games mind you. I'm pumped for Metroid and Star Fox. Nintendo is comforting like a warm blanket. But X-box does have some things in store that will be great. It's not just Halo. People keep saying that, but it's simply a misinformed opinion. Right now it has as many games worth playing as Gamecube: Halo, DOA3, Oddworld, Project Gotham Racing, Hunter: The Reckoning, Morrowind, NFL Fever. The real truth of the matter is all of the game systems have something to offer. If you think they don't, you haven't read enough about them.

14. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    But we KNOW the Nintendo games will be good. They always are. X-box is a wait and see. I just don't know why anyone would buy it instead of PS2 or GC. When those games come out, then we can say for sure. Until then, it is a maybe for the x-box.

15. Pancrase

Pancrase Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2001
    The biased crap on this forum concerning the XBOX is UNREAL!!

I was reading a consumer report on a website, and it compared the three systems. I think this review put it best when it said something to the effect of:

This is the easiest review we have had to do because all three systems are great and no matter which one you choose, you will love it.

To me, that sums it up best. Between all the false crap I have heard from PS fanboys concerning both the XBOX and the GC is unreal. ALL 3 SYSTEMS RULE!! If you can't come to terms with that, then your opinion is DEFINITLY BIASED!!

GC has greats like Zelda, Metroid, and a few more.

PS2 has greats like GTA3, FF Series, and a few more.

XBOX has great games like Halo, KOTOR, and a few more.

Yes, each system has certain qualities that are better then the other systems. But overall, all systems are great. These debats about what is better is nothing but biased fanboys for each system trying to get people to agree their opinion.

Just to give people a clue about all the lies I have heard about the XBOX from WORKERS AT GAMING PLACES:

1. The XBOX has no DVD player. (This is untrue).

2. The XBOX breaks down a lot more then the other systems. (If they did their research, they would realize it is about equal with problems as the PS2 and GC).

3. The XBOX scratches the DVD's. (First, almost all DVD players scratch the DVD in small ways. The PS2 actually has more problems with scratching).

4. XBOX will never go online. (Can you say XBOX Live??)

5. The controllers are terrible (Unless you haven't hit puberty yet, the controls fit a NORMAL sized adult's hand like a glove).

i hope people don't think I am XBOX biased. I am not. I have heard terrible "facts" against the other 2 systems as well.

My point is that their is tons of biased bs arond the internet and even word of mouth. If you bash any of the current 3 systems, then you have to take a step back and really think about what you are saying.

ALL SYSTEMS ARE GOOD!! Only in your mind are they bad.

16. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Other than Halo and Oddworld, they have nothing that makes it worth buying over the other two.

If you would look at some of the other threads many people have pointed out that there are tons of games coming out that look better than most of the games coming out for PS2 and Gamecube. 150 in less than a year, and 100 will be on the shelves by Christmas. I won't list them, if you were openminded enough to check them out you would have done so before you posted your list of Xbox pro games. Personally I think Oddworld sucks, but there are a ton of games that do rock. Microsoft, the big meanie used their contacts in the PC world to make sure that they had good development teams working on every genre out there. One of those percs of evil multi-national corporations.

when everyone rushed out and bought a dreamcast, i stuck it out with my Ps and N64. Look what happened. I fully believe that the same will happen with the X box. Graphics mean nothing.

I didn't buy a PS1 for a couple of years. I refused to be open minded enough to look at the games. I thought it would be a flop, and I thought after the SNES that Nintendo would deliver a quality product with quality games Instead I bored myself with Mario Kart, Zelda OoT and Goldeneye. They were great games, but they were it on that system. Eventually I saw the error of my ways and bought a PS1. I played both, but the PS1 wasn't the piece of crap that fanboyism lead Nintendites to believe. I'll admit it, I was a Nintendo fanboy.

But the N64 opened my eyes to look for the best system the next time around. I too avoided the dreamcast and stuck it out. Once November hit I researched every system and every lineup. Looked at the hype and the facts and decided on the Xbox. Once it went down to 300 I bought it and have been happy with that decision since. I'm still looking at both the PS2 and the Gamecube for my next system purchase if I decide to buy another. If I go with the gamecube they need some other titles, and they haven't delivered again. At E3 they showcased the games we all knew were coming. They're trying harder than ever to sell a cel-shaded link (which wouldn't be cel-shaded if the cube had better graphics. I read an interview where he was going on and on about how he could do things with cel-shading that he couldn't do with traditional graphics on the cube.)

I wanted Nintendo to turn around but they haven't done it yet. Picking up a played franchise with a facelift isn't gonna convince me that there's a change in mindset there. Metroid looks cool, and it's a nice change, I've been keeping my eye on it. Still waiting to see if they come through on it. I'm not a Nintendo hater, or a PS hater or a Xbox fanboy. I've had my eyes opened and I want others to do the same. Research each system, find the games you want and go with it. I just don't want people to ignore the Xbox, just because it's from evil Microsoft, because it's kicking my ass. (I've slept 4 hours a night since I got morrowind)

[image=http://www.teamxbox.com/images/games/ss/439/1023196686.jpg]
    (a good reason to get the Xbox :) )

17. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    All I am trying to say is that right now, the X-box does not have anything other than Halo and Morrowwind, which i finding out is cool and sounds neat. The person a few posts up, who listed Knights of the Old Republic as a great game needs to wait and see. It might another Obi Wan. If you only count games out now, PS2 is the best. But as for games coming up GC has some nice stuff and X box does too. PS2 is in a lull now, but hey, its summer and there is enough to keep me busy for a while.

18. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    One of the games I thought would help in my decision to get a Gamecube was Wrestlemania X8. Big disappointment. Not that I will not buy a Gamecube solely because WM X8 sucked, but alot of my hopes were riding on that game. Thanks for nothing, THQ.

19. Ociredor

Ociredor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    Tenorjedi, not to offend you, but why does it seem like all your complaints are against the Gamecube? I haven't heard you say anything bad about the PS2.

20. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    I thought it's faults were obvious ;)

21. Jak_Vitanae

Jak_Vitanae Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy, but even I can recognize that the Big N dropped the ball with the Gamecube launch. With the PSX and N64, it was a clear case of quantity versus quality, where Nintendo consistently released the most groundbreaking games.

With this generation, most of the innovation has come from third party developers, and the PS2 has benefitted from awesome games by Rockstar, Square, Konami and EA. The Gamecube has had a bunch of "solid" games, but nothing that's a real gameplay breakthrough.

It looks like times are changing with Metroid Prime and The Legend of Zelda (which looks great, ignore the whiners). Those should be two awesome, must-have games (and Mario Sunshine ain't too shabby, either). But I have to say that I was once a Nintendo loyalist and just a few days ago I got a PS2. There are just too many games for Sony's system that I can't play on my Gamecube, and the used games are so much cheaper.

I'm glad I have my Gamecube and it's worth paying $150 to play some of the awesome exclusive games on the horizon (including Star Fox Adventures and the Resident Evil series), but if I had to choose one system I'm afraid it would be the PS2.

22. LadyNaberrie

LadyNaberrie Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    I say.....Hands down, get a PS2!!!!! It can play DVDs and CDs plus the games that you rent/buy for it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.