main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PS2 will whoop your ***!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Franz Flash, Feb 11, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franz Flash

Franz Flash Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 1999
    From http://www.videogames.comwww.videogames.com

Sony Computer Entertainment has demonstrated the features of its DVD player to the Japanese press, and new details have been uncovered. First off, we have now learned that the PlayStation2 DVD player will be activated by a driver - and DVDs will not play without it. The 634 K Driver file is preinstalled in the memory card that comes packaged with the PlayStation2 and will be required to be in the first memory-card slot of the PlayStation2 in order for it to play DVD movies. The driver will also be found on the special utility disc that comes packaged with the PlayStation2, in case users happen to delete it.

Sony Computer Entertainment showed the movie Shakespeare in Love on its PlayStation2 and other top-of-the-line DVD players from Matsu****a, Pioneer, and even from Sony itself. "The image definition [of the PS2] is as good as those of high-dollar DVD players," Ken Kutaragi, president of SCE, told the Nihon Keizai Shimbun.

The company also put to rest all rumors of the PlayStation2 not being able to perform extra DVD functions such as multi-angle viewing and multiple language subtitling - all of those features are indeed available.

The DVD player on the Sony PlayStation2 can be controlled by users in two different ways. One of the methods is to use the onscreen display interface that has several icons on it. These icons include chapter jump, title jump, DVD menu, change sounds, change camera angle, change subtitling, and display on/off. Users will also be able to select the language, TV aspect ratio (16:9, 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 pan-scan), audio settings (PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS) and parental locks with pass codes. The other method is to use the Dual Shock2 controller directly. Here are the functions for the corresponding buttons:

Select - summon onscreen display interface
    Start - play/stop
    Triangle - DVD menu
    O - OK/yes button
    X - cancel/no button
    Square - title menu
    R1 - skip to next chapter
    R2 - fast forward
    R3 - change sounds
    L1 - skip to previous chapter
    L2 - rewind
    L3 - change subtitling
    D-pad - for moving the cursor

Asahi News today reported that there will be a special remote available for the PlayStation2 as well, and many functions listed above should be available on it.

We'll have impressions of the PlayStation2's DVD functions direct from the PlayStation Festival 2000, which will be held from February 18 - 20.

http://headline.gamespot.com/news/00_02/10_vg_psdvd/screenshot2.jpg
    http://headline.gamespot.com/news/00_02/10_vg_psdvd/screenshot3.jpg

Oh my, poor Nintendo.

2. Mr. Celchu

Mr. Celchu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2000
    I can't wait! . but I feel bad for Nintendo too.

3. Krayt Tion

Krayt Tion Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 16, 1999
    Hmmm. I'm sorta thinking that when I buy my nearly 1Ghz computer this summer with 300+ MB of PC 133 RAM, DVD player, Klipsh Promedia Speakers and Subwoofer, 21 inch monitor, CD Burner, etc... that the playstation will not exactly whoop my *** .

I'll admit it should be a great console system. Perhaps even redefining what console systems are like. But alas, still just a console system.

4. virtue1st

virtue1st Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 1998
    Of course, the PS2 will be what, over a thousand dollars *cheaper* than a computer system like that?

You can't really compare the two. The PS2 is going to be an amazing piece of home entertainment hardware for the masses. And even though I'll be getting a new computer system in the next year or so, I'll definitely be buying a PS2 as well.

5. A-Wing Chun Fighter

A-Wing Chun Fighter Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2000
    Too bad you can't use the immense processing power to do other things besides games.

6. Krayt Tion

Oct 16, 1999
    Too bad you can't use the immense processing power to do other things besides
    games.

You don't use computers much, do you? Ever used adobe photoshop? ever tried running 5 applications (aka multi tasking) to save time? Besides, every game on the market today doesn't even utilize all the power of the fatest processor out on the market today, the 850mhz Athlon.

7. Krayt Tion

Oct 16, 1999
    PS- virtue1st... this topic wasn't "The PS2 will whoop your *** for much cheaper than a computer will!"

All i'm saying is that... it's just not gonna whoop my *** .... because I'll have a kick *** computer.

8. Spartacus151

Spartacus151 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2000
    What about the new nintendo system, Dolphin. It's supposed to be more powerful than the PS2 but with out the DVD player.

9. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    Besides, we all know that all Sony is going to do is take all their old games and just add a few things here and there and make the graphics better and release them as a new game. I mean, look at the playstation. How many sequels have they made? For example, Twisted Metal, good game, but do we really need 4 of them. Same with Coolboarders 1-4. I don't think Sony can be creative.

10. Cigam Retah

Cigam Retah Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 1999
    I already have a Dreamcast. Sorry Sony, too little, too late. Perhaps I'll get a Dolphin.

11. John of the collective

John of the collective Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 1998
    Who said dolphin won't have a DVD player?

Last I heard not only will it have a DVD player, But Matsu****a will provide it and through some part of the License, they will be able to build the Dolphin into their DVD players so there will be Dolphins made by Panasonic. I wouldn't worry too much about Nintendo.

Plus Sony sucks.
    (above opinion not based on PS1 or 2, but on a lifelong hatred of every piece of equipment to ever bare the Sony label even though once a bunch of their high engineering managers bought my father and I an expensive dinner.)

12. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    Nintendo has said time and time again that Dolphin will only be used for video games. That's what they know best and they're pretty good at(unlike Sony).

13. Yoshi the Green Jedi

Yoshi the Green Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 1999
    Yeah, Nintendo has always been better at games than Sony, and N64 was just as good as PS2 tech-wise. There's no reason to think that Nintendo is going down just because PS2 is coming first.

14. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    First of all you can play old PS games on PS2 which means there'll be about 1500 games in Japan and somewhere around 500 here in Europe. Sony 1 - 0 Nintendo. Second it's gonna be a DVD player (Doplin maybe, just speculations). Sony 2 - 0 Nintendo. Third, you can play music CDs. Sony 3 - 1(?) Nintendo. Besides, Sony already has loads of great deals with game companies. I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't but there ain't many good games on N64 (no personal opinion). Sony 4 - 1(?) Nintendo. Playstation 2 is a CD player, game console and film viewer, all for (probably no more than) $300.
    Oh, I almost forgot DC but that doesn't have one single chance against PS2. What's Internet good for on a damn game console? Either get a videogame or a computer.

15. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    oops

[This message has been edited by Spartacus151 (edited 02-12-2000).]

16. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    I did a triple post.

17. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    First of all, who in this world doesn't have a CD player? Chances are, if you're using a computer now, you can already play CDs. Second of all, you think Sony has great deals with companies, you ever heard of IBM? IBM has made a $1 billion dollar deal with nintendo to put it's Gekko chip in Dolphin. Ya think Sony can keep up with IBM, I sure don't. Matsu****a, the largest consumer electronics company in the world, will supply nintendo with a proprietary disk drive, however this doesn't mean the Dolphin will play DVDs. The maker of the PowerVR chipset used for the Sega Dreamcast(NEC) has signed with Nintendo also. So has the company MoSys. Third of all, the Nintendo 64 has tons of great games,(Zelda, Bond, Mario, Episode 1 racer, Shadows of the Empire, and Rogue Squadron) and there's plenty more on the way(an Indiana Jones game, another Episode 1 game, the new Zelda game, and The World is Eot Enough). Besides, all Sony does is make a good game, then make 3, 4, 5, and even 6 sequals. Look at the PS2 line up, there's another Tekken game, Ridge Racer 5, Gran Turismo 2000, and another Spyro the Dragon game. Right there is proof that Sony can't be original. And how about the controler ports for PS2, there's only 2. Now how many great multiplayer games can you make with only 2 players. Dolphin will have 4 controler ports. Another thing, Sony is running across some problems with PS2. They're finding out that not all Playstation games will work on the new system, there is no list of games that won't work with PS2 released yet to the press. So, not only will Dolphin be more powerful and have better games with better multiplayer options, but it will also be cheaper, around $200 dollars. So what if PS2 can play DVDs, it's not like I can watch Star Wars on it. (notice I tried to make as many Star Wars references as possible)

18. Cigam Retah

Cigam Retah Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 1999
    First of all you can play old PS games on PS2 which means there'll be about 1500 games in Japan and somewhere around 500 here in Europe. Sony 1 - 0 Nintendo.

So what? If you own Playstation games, guess what? You Probably own a Playstation. I'm sure the N64 could have had a mod to play Super Nintendo Games, but why bother? They're obsolete!

Second it's gonna be a DVD player (Doplin maybe, just speculations). You're not even that sure on this issue. Not to mention that I already have a DVD player and a home theater system, so phooey, worthless add-on. Speaking of Add-on, the Sega Dreamcast will soon have an OPTIONAL DVD-ROM attachment, for those that don't already have a DVD player.

Third, you can play music CDs. Sony 3 - 1(?) Nintendo. I refer back to Spartacus151, who made an excellent point about both 'everyone owning a CD Player, and...

Besides, Sony already has loads of great deals with game companies. I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't but there ain't many good games on N64 (no personal opinion). Nintendo has many great companies in their pocket, not to mention their gem, Rare. Rumor also has it that FFX will be a Dolphin game.

Playstation 2 is a CD player, game console and film viewer, all for (probably no more than) $300. Sorry, according to my Playstation Rep (I'm a video game retailer) the Playstation II will more than likely have a $379.99 price tag, maybe more, maybe less. (He said they might sell "Non-DVD player" versions for less, but I'm not so sure about that.)

By the way, as a DVD player owner, I can assure you that Sony makes HORRIBLE DVD players. Just ask anyone that has one, or any retailer. They invested in a chip that is currently 18 months oboslete, yet they stand behind it. Just hope your copy of "Notting Hill" doesn't get fried.

Oh, I almost forgot DC but that doesn't have one single chance against PS2. What's Internet good for on a damn game console? Either get a videogame or a computer.

Well, even though we all obviously have computers, we might not. I know more than a few JC members that are WebTV users, some that only post when at work (naughty naughty) and school (again, naughty naughty).

Besides, what's the great thing about having a gaming multiplayer network based on a console system? UNIFORMITY! That's right! No matter what, you don't have to worry about some guy with a P/133 slowing down the game, even if you've got top of the line! With a console game, you're a start, select, X, B, and A away from a massive multiplayer environment! Just imagine the upcoming "Armada II," logging on and battling hundreds of real foes! AI will be a thing of the past!

My verdict? Sony had it's time in the sun, but come this Winter, Sega will reclaim its place alongside Nintendo. The last five years have proven that only two mainstreem console systems can be comercially viable. Can you honestly tell me that there was anything "Inferiour" about the Jaguar, compared to the Playstation? It's all about execution, baby, and Sony? Heh, like I said, too little to late, I already got MY 128 bit system.

(GO BUY CRAZY TAXI TODAY! IT RULES!)

19. Grand Moff Green

Grand Moff Green Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 1999
    The Dolphin has a DVD drive and since it would probably take one extra day to develop it to play movies too, I think it will. All of these systems will have internet access without question. The only differences between these systems I can see are... Backwards compatibility-Sony wins, Quality-Nintendo gets my vote, and Hardware specs-Nintendo wins. Dreamcast is good now but when PS2 comes out it will be the best and then "Dolphin" will take the reins just as Sega anounces thier next system(or possibly MicroShaft since they were looking at the market a while back). It's a constant cycle that will always have something better on the horizon.

20. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    It seems like there's really different opinions in wether Sony/Nintendo/Sega is in/out. Maybe you're right, Sony may be a little late, but for all of us who doesn't own a DVD (only on the comp, but that sux)? Wouldn't a CD player, game console and DVD player be great for us, and not the rest of you with a gold wallet? I believe Nintendo is too late with a CD platform. They blew it with N64. But it's gonna be an interesting fight between the 3 of them. I'm still gonna give Sony a chance since a DVD is exactly what I need. They haven't let me down before.

Btw, I'm afraid FFX isn't gonna be for PS since it's gonna be an online game.

21. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    It's all going to come down to games. Even though Dolphin will be the most powerful sysytem, it's still going to be about the games. That's where Nintendo will shine. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sony has no creativity. Look at there line up, there's Tekken Tag Tournament, Ridge Racer 5, Gran Tourismo 2000, and the 3rd Spyro the Dragon game. It's sad. I mean, even look at what their system is called, Playstation 2, how creative is that? Maybe they had their days, but it's all over with now. And may I remind you, that yes it has a DVD player, but you're going to have to pay for it, and it will be a lot more then Dolphin or Sega.

22. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    I believe they're gonna call it Playstation 2 cause it's an update of the old PSX. If they gave it a whole new name there would be much confusion regarding the fact that you can play old PSX games on it etc.
    And if there's something Sony do have it's creativity. Most the the sequels are good you know. Look at Gran Turismo. According to most reviewing people it's the best racing game ever. It would be stupid not to make a sequel. And Metal Gear Solid. That's a damn good sequel too. Tekken is the best fighting trilogy ever. Why don't make another sequel then? Final Fantasy has sold more than most Nintendo games (the one's on PS). Why not continue a winning concept?
    If they make sequels like those people know what they get instead of just reading about new games with wierd names. It's not like there ain't no sequels on DC and N64. Sonic (how many, 15 games?), Mario (probably around 10 games if not more), Zelda (what's that, 5 of them?). They're good games, therefore they make more of them! So no more talking about sequels, ok?

[This message has been edited by Franz Flash (edited 02-15-2000).]

23. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    All I'm saying is that why should you buy the new Spyro game when you know there's going to be another one next year, and another one the year after that. Sony's games are hardly on the shelves before you hear a report of the sequal in development. And like you said, all Playstation 2 is is an undated version of the old Playstation, that's the exact same thing their games are, just updated versions of the last. Sony just runs it's playstation owners in circles with sequal after sequal. Yeah, I've played both Gran Tourismo games, there were differences, but I didn't think,"Wow I'm playing a completely new and original game." Besides, look at the characters for Nintendo and look at the characters for Playstation. Mario is more well known then Mickey Mouse. Nintendo has tons of great characters that ensure awesome games, and then from there they make other new games. That's one thing Sony should have done, make mascots.

24. Franz Flash

Jun 9, 1999
    It's not like they haven't tried making mascots. They've never succeeded though. Gex, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Abe, Lara Croft, Rayman. There's several more which I can't think of right now. Macosts are for babies and so is Nintendo. The games are so childish and easy (not trying to be mature). You can't compare Zelda with any of the FF games. Zelda:eek:oT is waaay too easy because it's made for ages 8-15. You can just walk right though it without any problems. And Mario 64. His corny squeaks when he jumps. Come on! I don't know how old you are but I'm certailny not the customer they're trying to find. That's why I'm gonna buy PS2 and not Dolphin.

25. Spartacus151

Jan 7, 2000
    First of all, Nintendo is not for babies. Have you ever heard of the Turok series, all of them are rated Mature. There are plenty of Mature games for Nintendo. Not all of Nintendo's games are like Mario. Besides, I enjoy games like Zelda. I never thought any part of that game was too easy, it was challenging and long, it took me forever to beat. I don't consider chopping skeletons into pieces and killing witches to be for babies. I think one thing that Nintendo has proven is that you can make a good game with out blood and gore. Besides, the game was rated E, which stands for Everyone. Atleast Nintendo comes up with their own ideas for their games. Have you ever played CTR(Crash Team Racing). Talk about a rip off, that game is an exact copy of MarioKart, except it wasn't half as good. The characters were stupid, the courses were lame, and the weapons were just different versions of MarioKart's but with really stupid names. It took my friends and I less than 3 days to beat it. And how about Tomorrow Never Dies, that was what I call a disappointment. The graphics and the levels could have been a lot better. And how about the multiplayer, I just loved inviting 3 of my friends over and playing it all night. Oh wait, that's right, I'm thinking of GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies didn't even have a multiplayer option. That's another thing I HATE about Playstation, no good multiplayer games. And it's obvious that they haven't learned, look at the controler ports of PS2, only 2. What a shame. But back to the games for a moment. Another game I thought was stupid was Ape Escape. Now come on, don't tell me running around chasing monkeys isn't for "little kids". I mean, monkeys running around with lights on their heads isn't exactly the best game I've heard of, and yes I've played the game and didn't think anything great of it. Driver, there was a pretty good game, except for the fact that there are only 4 cities you can drive through. However, there is a sequal, Driver 2, coming out that I'm sure will be better. Which brings me back to one of my other reasons for HATING Playstation, Sequels. Why can't they just make a good game and say, "WOW, that was a pretty good game, but I have a new idea for a game." Instead, it's as if they say," WOW that was a good game, let's make a sequel that is slightly different, and then we'll make another, and another, and another..." I think you get my point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.