PS2 will whoop your ***!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Franz Flash, Feb 11, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartacus151 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Who cares if the PS2 improves the Playstation game's graphics, they still don't look anything like the PS2's graphics. If I get a PS2 I'm definately not buying Playstation games, I would buy their millions of sequals on the PS2. Then again I'm not going to blow $300+ dollars on a system that plays video games, if I was going to do something that stupid I would rather go to the bank and get $300 all in ones and flush them down the toilet one by one, it would probably be more fun then playing the PS2. Look at it this way, when the PS2 is launched, for $400 I could either get this:

$150 = Dreamcast System
    $150 = 3 Dreamcast games
    $ 25 = VMU card
    $ 60 = 2 extra controllers

$385 = TOTAL

OR I could get this

$300 = Playstation 2 System
    $ 50 = 1 Playstation game
    $ 20 = Memory Card
    $ 30 = extra controller

$400 = TOTAL

I would say that the Dreamcast is definately a better value and I don't even know the PS2's prices yet either.
  2. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    When all is said and done, it's the games that matter, and from what I've seen, the PS2 games aren't as impressive as I thought they would be. I know that there will be some mind-blowing games eventually, but until then, I'm gonna keep playing my Dreamcast.
  3. Franz Flash Jedi Knight

star 1
    Let's lookat the stats. PS2 has sold almost 1 million units, DC has sold about 3 million. That's one third in 3 days (Monday). It'll probably be $299 when it's released in the States.

Of course DC is cheaper at the moment - it's been out for almost ½ year. The DC was $350 when it came out and so was PS and N64, which means the PS2 will be $150 a few months after its release.

Note that the PS2 has waaay more power than the DC;

Polygon Power
    PlayStation 2: Around 20 million polygons per second
    Dreamcast: Around 3 million polygons per second

Clock Speed
    PlayStation 2: 300MHz (294.912 to be exact)
    Dreamcast: 200MHz

Memory
    PlayStation 2: 32MB Direct Rambus RAM
    Dreamcast: 16MB (plus 8MB Video RAM, 2MB Sound RAM)

Memory Bus Bandwidth
    PlayStation 2: 3.2 GB/s (Gigabytes per second)
    Dreamcast: N/A

http://ps2.ign.com/news/14132.htmlSome more stats

The PS2 is definitely worth the money, or at least will be a few monts after the release.
  4. Franz Flash Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh, I forgot, a memory card is included in the package (in Japan, it remains to be seen if they do that in USA and Europe too), so that's -$20.
  5. Spartacus151 Jedi Knight

star 1
    There's no way you're going to see a PS2 for $150 a few months after it's released. Several websites I've been to have reported that Sony is losing $180 on every PS2 sold. If this is true, which I'm sure it is considering the fact that it also plays DVDs, that means we won't ever see a $150 PS2 until the PS3 comes out.

That's terrific that the PS2 is waaay more powerful than the Dreamcast. But why don't the games show it? Go to the links I've posted, look at the screen shots. Some of those shots look better than the PS2 screen shots. Plus the games, some websites have evn said, "If you've played Ridge Racer Type 4 for the first Playstation then you've practically played Ridge Racer 5. The only difference is the graphics". And like PreacherBoy said, if there is actually a PS2 game that I have to have, I'll just get the PC version.
  6. Franz Flash Jedi Knight

star 1
    The games will be better, believe me. If you compare the graphics on the first PS games like Ridge Racer or Wipeout and the latest game such as Resident Evil 3 or Tony Hawk you'll notice a huge difference. It takes a while for the developers to optimize all the aspects when making a game. It's the same thing with N64.

Now they're having memory card and DVD issues but all that will be corrected till the western release.
  7. Franz Flash Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oops. My first double post ever.

[This message has been edited by Franz Flash (edited 03-08-2000).]
  8. Yoshi the Green Jedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Nice to see that this thread's alive and kicking.

Anyway, Dolphin will do fine when it comes out. It will have equal to or better stats than PS2 and Dreamcast, and Spartacus mentioned the whole DVD thing.

But whether it's better or not, people will buy it. I mean, with your logic I supposed no one would buy PS2 because Dreamcast was released before!

So, when is PS2 coming out in America? I heard it's out in Japan.
  9. Spartacus151 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah, I heard about the PS2's problems. Is it just me or does anybody else think this is funny? Here's a link: http://ps2.ign.com/news/16217.html http://ps2.ign.com/news/16217.html . I just love that report. I've read it atleast 5 times. Yeah, it'll probably be cleared up before the PS2's U.S. launch, which by the way will probably be in Semptember sometime.

With stories like this the Dreamcast is looking better and better. And while I'm on the subject of the Dreamcast looking good, here's some more news on MSR, http://www.segaweb.com/Previews/Dreamcast/msr.html http://www.segaweb.com/Previews/Dreamcast/msr.html . That game looks better than Gran Turismo 2000 and Ridge Racer. And how about ChuChu Rocket being online. Personally I haven't played it because I don't have a Dreamcast, but from what I've heard it's supposed to be awesome. Now I know what you're doing, right now you're pretty much laughing your head off because I'm talking about a so called awesome game named "ChuChu Rocket". Sure, it doesn't have the best name, but I encourage you to read a review of it. It's availible today nation wide for only $29.95, that's a pretty good deal.

[This message has been edited by Spartacus151 (edited 03-08-2000).]
  10. Franz Flash Jedi Knight

star 1
    Actually I'm not sure about anything any more. I've changed my opinion about DC and PS2. They've had some probs with the PS2 and the launch games wasn't to good according to the reviewers. Just don't think I'm not gonna get one but I'm thinking of getting a DC too (later, maybe next winter or something) and that's not because of ChuChu Rocket...
  11. Franz Flash Jedi Knight

star 1
    Forget what I just said. I'm never gonna get a DC. It's $320 just for the unit itself and $80 for some of the games, which, by the way, isn't good at all. A N64 is $95 for cryin' out loud! I'll just sit here and wait for my PS2 instead. What was that crap about DC for $150!?
  12. Spartacus151 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have no idea where on the face of this Earth you got $320 for the system and $80 for the games. When the Dreamcast was first launched it was only $200, so the $320 makes no sense what-so-ever.

Originally posted by Spartacus151:
    Look at it this way, when the PS2 is launched, for $400 I could either get this:

$150 = Dreamcast System
    $150 = 3 Dreamcast games
    $ 25 = VMU card
    $ 60 = 2 extra controllers

$385 = TOTAL

OR I could get this

$300 = Playstation 2 System
    $ 50 = 1 Playstation game
    $ 20 = Memory Card
    $ 30 = extra controller

$400 = TOTAL

I never said that it's $150 now, I said when the PS2 is launched that it will be that. Many people think that the Dreamcast will drop price in August. As for the Dreamcast games at $80, that doesn't make sense either, they're $50 when they're brand new. So I really have no idea who told you this, but it's not true at all. Go to http://www.sega.comwww.sega.com . All their games are from $45-$50 brand new.
  13. Franz Flash Jedi Knight

star 1
    Besides there's only one good game, Ready 2 Rumble, which I can get for PS. I think Sega are stupid, they released Incoming for the DC - I bought it for $8 about a year ago for PC.
  14. Franz Flash Jedi Knight

star 1
    Here are some quotes from the article http://ps2.ign.com/news/16366.htmlThe Untapped Power of PlayStation2 at http://ps2.ign.com/ http://ps2.ign.com/
    ?the first generation stuff is going to look weaker in comparison to second-generation stuff than ever before on another system. But believe me, PlayStation2 is a race car. It's going to kick ***. Everything you hear people complaining about on this system is just whining. PS2 has everything. You can program anything on this system. It's more like a computer than ever before.
    I'd say that people who are poking holes at the PS2 are blowing smoke. They're just looking for controversy.
    Is the system doomed to be crushed by Nintendo's Dolphin? In a word, "no".
    I don't want to deal with any of the complicated stuff, because the executives in my company only understand deadlines and all they want is fore me to do this game. So, I'm going to do it as quick as I can. But once you start playing around with the PS2, you have plenty of memory to go around.
    The Dreamcast, by the way, has more texture RAM innately than PS2. But in the end, bottom line, the PS2 will end up having more effective textures than Dreamcast once programmers get used to working on it.
    The PS2 is many, many times more powerful than the Dreamcast, and unbelievably more than the PlayStation.
    The first set of Japanese games that shipped last week didn't even scratch the surface of PlayStation2's power.
    The PS2 is a three-processor system. It's actually an incredibly complicated system. Basically you have the CPU, which is the same processor that everybody has had before, but it's a lot more powerful, and it's got two co-processors, VU-0 and VU-1, which are extremely powerful linked co-processors, that work with the CPU.
    Here's a parable for you. Let's take two executives: Executive one is a straight processor with a single CPU. It has no assistance whatsoever. He has three projects to do. He has to work on them one at a time and he has to do all of the work, with no one else to shove all the work off to. He has to do the work himself.
    Now lets take executive two, he's a PS2 development kit. He's got his main processor, his brain, which he can use to do the hard parts, and he's got this incredibly efficient secretary, who types like a bat out of hell, and an incredibly quick researcher on the other side, who can do research like no one before. So instead of going to the dictionary every time you need to look up a word, he sends that off to his assistant. And then he can spend his time on something else. Instead of actually typing what he is doing, he says to his assistant, 'here's what I want you to type,' and he or she goes off and types it. This executive is going to win, right
    If you don't use the two VUs, the PS2 looks like a super powerful Dreamcast. But once you get the VUs in, the Dreamcast looks like a powerful PlayStation, and the PS2 will look like the next generation. It is inevitable. Programmers will learn about these things, and they will learn how to us them.
    ...instead of trying to figure out what the system can do, [they took] the easiest way out. And that's what all of these PS2 games are doing. They are using the simplest methodology of getting the games up and running so that they reach launch.
    Mark Reins from Epic Megagames said that PS2 was a dream to develop for.

I believe all that speaks for itself.
  15. Spartacus151 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Where exactly did you find the Dreamcast for $320 and the games for $80? I think you should E-mail the place telling them they're ripping people off.

Originally posted by Franz Flash:
    Besides there's only one good game, Ready 2 Rumble, which I can get for PS. I think Sega are stupid, they released Incoming for the DC - I bought it for $8 about a year ago for PC.

You know I read that about 3 minutes ago and I'm still laughing. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It's actually pretty funny. Is that the best you can do to find a flaw in the Dreamcast? because that's really stretching it. I can just imagin a little kid saying that, "But... but... but... Sega is stupid!" First of all, by no means can the PSX version of Ready 2 Rumble compete with the Dreamcast. The graphics on the PSX version are horrible compared with the Dreamcast version. By the way, Ready 2 Rumble isn't even close to being the best Dreamcast game.

Notice what website you got the PS2 info from. It's a PS2 website. I gurantee I could go to a Sega website and they would tell me that the Sega Dreamcast maybe less powerful but it will come out on top. It all depends on what websites you go to.
  16. PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling

star 5
    http://www.xbox.com/ http://www.xbox.com/
  17. Spartacus151 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oops

[This message has been edited by Spartacus151 (edited 03-10-2000).]
  18. Spartacus151 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just ignore this

19. Spartacus151 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just ignore this too

20. Spartacus151 Jedi Knight

star 1
    No matter what system you get you'd better believe that there's a faster, more powerful, and better looking system coming out. The X-box is a very good example of that. The PS2 hasn't even been released in the U.S. yet and already there's a system rumored to be 6 times more powerful.

I would say the next generation systems will have one great war to fight. Many people have counted the Dreamcast out but I think they'll be able to hold their own. There are tons of awesome games coming out it. Here's a link: http://dreamcast.ign.com/news/10692.html http://dreamcast.ign.com/news/10692.html
  21. Spartacus151 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't think the PS2 will do very well compared to the competition. There's no doubt it will be successful, but I think many people will buy other systems instead. Think of it this way, people are either going to buy cheap, The Sega Dreamcast, or they are going to buy the best, Dolphin and X-box. PS2 is just stuck in the middle. Now don't get me wrong, when it's released in September or when ever, it will sell like crazy, it will probably even shatter records, but I don't think it has the power to stay. The Dolphin will be released in the 1st half of the year 2001 in the U.S., instead of in the fall like most people believed, and the X-box will probably be released in the Fall of 2001, so PS2 really didn't get that much of a head start. Also, I would say that people know more about the X-box then they do about the PS2. For example, just today I heard on the news how Sony's stock dropped because Bill Gates announced his new system. I have never heard the PS2 ever talked about on the news. Plus, the X-box is waaaay better than the PS2 in every category, it even has 4 controller ports. The PS2 is in serious trouble.
  22. Franz Flash Jedi Knight

star 1
    What I meant when I said Sega was stupid was that they released a game that's been out for PC for ages. I'd rather play it for $8 on PC with Voodoo graphics than on DC with ok, 128-bit graphics.
    I don't think PS2 will have much competition. All those quotes are from impartial developers. Why would PS2.ign.com twist what a programmer at Epic said?
    Ok, the X-box may be pretty good but MS hasn't done very well with anything they've made so why would this be better? And don't tell me Windows is perfect on any way. All their programs has loads of flaws.

EDIT: If the X-box is waaay better than PS2 DC is in serious trouble since PS2 is waaay better than DC in every category. At least it will be by the time X-box is out.

[This message has been edited by Franz Flash (edited 03-11-2000).]
  23. Spartacus151 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Like I said before, people are going to buy cheap or they're going to buy the best. Right now people really can't see the difference between PS2 games and Dreamcast games, as a matter of fact some Dreamcast games look better than PS2 games. Yes, I do understand that these are the first games to come out and there will be better games(graphic wise) or should I say there will be better sequals coming out. But for now, when the PS2 is released, they will look about the same, except one will be a lot cheaper with a lot more games. For every good PS2 game, there's a Dreamcast game just as good if not better.
    TTT = Soul Calibur
    Ridge Racer V = MSR
    Gran Turismo 2000 = Sega GT
    Those are only a few comparisons.

Now eventually there will be good looking games, but I don't think they'll come fast enough. The Dolphin is going to be released in the 1st half of 2001 and then the X-box in the Fall of next year. In other words, first it will be the Dreamcast fighting it out with the PS2, I don't expect to see either one win. Look at the sales of the PSX and the N64, they really didn't sell that much until the price hit $150 and then sales went through the roof when it dropped to $100. So really, I expect Sega to do very well.

It will take a while to understand the full power of the PS2 and be able to use it in games. About the time PS2's decent games start coming out, the more powerful Dolphin will be released. Look at all the time developers have to make top notch Dolphin launch titles, unlike PS2's launch titles. The Dolphin will be much better in every category. I think it will be a good fight but with the Dolphin easier and cheaper (the high liscening fee Nintendo is charging is just a rumor.) to develop for I tink more developers will switch over to it. So I expect to see the cheaper and more powerful system win that round. In the mean time though, the Dolphin will take the place of the Dreamcast. However that doesn't mean the Dreamcast is dead, look how long Sega kept developing for the Sega Saturn even though it was an obvious failure, and the Dreamcast has already sold more then the Staurn, so even a year from now I still expect to see the Dreamcast alive and kicking, just they won't be on top anymore.
  24. Franz Flash Jedi Knight

star 1
    ...even a year from now I still expect to see the Dreamcast alive and kicking...

That is rather pathetic. If a console can't survive more than a year (it'll be 1.5 then) it's worthless anyways. Look at the PSX, it was released in -95 and they're still making great games for it (just don't come here saying there are no great games for the PSX) more than 5 years after its birth. The DC has great graphics and all but the PS2 has loads more potential. In a year the games for PS2 will beat DC games big time.
  25. Spartacus151 Jedi Knight

star 1
    What I meant is that the Dreamcast will not fade very soon. Many people consider the Dreamcast just to vanish from the face of the Earth when the PS2 is release. It will still have amazing games coming out.

I think the PS2 is in serious trouble. I don't think it stands a chance against X-box. Here's a link: http://pc.ign.com/news/16378.html http://pc.ign.com/news/16378.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.