main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PS2 will whoop your ***!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Franz Flash, Feb 11, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIG JIM SLATE

BIG JIM SLATE Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2000
    Why the heck can't you guys just get along. tongue.gif

Personally, Nintendo lost me after the N64, and Sega never had me. Playstation never got me too excited either. I pretty much stick to my computer for games. Yes it costs more, but I don't see anyone's DC or PS or N64 playing Quake 3: Arena at 60fps @ 1024x768. I played through Quake II a couple of times on the PC, and then saw a demo of it on the N64 at EB. I was shocked. The textures were horrible. The resolution was poor. It had that damn fogging. Overall, it just didn't cut it. Plus, it is so much worse than the PC version just because of the fact that it plays on a TV. Until we get Hi-Res HDTV, it will NEVER match PC gaming. Each system has its own pros and cons. I havn't played a console that I really liked since the SNES or the NES. Since that, its just been a race to churn out the best looking games as fast as they can. Consoles can add DVD, internet, etc. but it isn't the same. I bought a PS JUST for Final Fantasy VII when it came out. I was not disappointed. I bought a N64 JUST for Goldeneye. Am I disappointed? A little bit. You can't see 20 feet in front of you INSIDE because of the fog, and it runs at like 15 or 20 fps, which doesn't cut it. And under certain situations, I have brought the frame rate down to 1 or 2 fps, which shouldn't happen at all. I didn't buy a DC, because I don't trust Sega (Sega CD, Saturn or 32x anyone?). The Dolphin is a bad idea because Nintendo should have stuck with cartridge-based games, and not gone to CD. I easily pick my PC over any console, but I will buy a PS2, and not a x-Box/Dolphin/DC etc. I think they should actually focus on content more than flashy graphics. VERY few console games actually HAVE content. And in my opinion, EA Sports is just plain stupid for not having Dave Strader as their announcer for the NHL series. Everyone knows that he is one of the best that ESPN has.

Anyways, I've said enough, and I'm outta here.

2. Single Twin

Single Twin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2000
  3. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    lol. I thought I'd never see this sucker again!

4. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    an oldie, but a goodie

5. Single Twin

Jun 9, 2000
    I want Spartacus back! Where is Spartacus?

6. Single Twin

Jun 9, 2000
    BIG JIM SLATE -> The biggest mistake Nintendo could ever do would be going back to cartiges. One of the many reasons N64 failed was the cartiges. Since they're so damn expensive to manufature they can't release make the games much cheaper, i.e. Platinum. Sony did it, Sega does it but Nintendo couldn't. Heck, they couldn't even make the Zelda cartige gold. What is a Zelda without the gold cartige?

7. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Zelda with a gray cartridge!

8. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    I actually didn't understand what you meant by that last post, so if that post was totally off the mark, forgive me. BTW, Zelda DID have a gold cartridge. I have one. ;)

9. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Why would I want a Play Station 2 or a Dolphin or whatever Nintendo is calling it this week? My PC will smoke any console. The only place where consoles have an advantage is that they are static platforms- game designers never have make games for multiple different systems by manufacturers. Plus you look at a Play Station game from 5 years ago and compare it to one made this year, and the differences will be astounding, because the programmers have eked every ounce of performance out of the game.

That said, the PC is still the best game machine out there. It is more versatile, more powerful, has more and different types of input devices, and at the end of day a Play Station is still just a Play Station, your PC is a word processor, a spread sheet, tax return software- just about anything you want it to be. My PC doesn't plug into a TV and I don't have to deal with the limitations in graphics because of that.

Sure my PC costs more, but then again, it does a lot more as well. Were I to buy a Play Station 2 it would only be because the companies that used to make PC games are mostly making console games.

10. Single Twin

Jun 9, 2000
    Of course no consoles can ever compete with a PC but if the only thing you want is games, consoles are better.

The best 2 player game, Tekken 3 or TTT if you want, would never be possbile to play on a computro. That'd suck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.