main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[PS3, 360, PC] Dead Island

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Reynar_Tedros, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    If we were talking about bugs that didn't effect playability I would give the game a chance. I'm a massive fan of New Vegas despite it's many programming flaws.

But when one of the bugs that makes it's way past quality control is everything in your inventory getting deleted, that's a game broken to a degree that I wouldn't want to buy it.

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Apparently they released a buggy development version to Steam (and retail discs) instead of the finished product. Ooops!

For once I'm glad our version is a few days behind, we'll be getting the proper "finished" version.

3. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dead-island/17-4837/

The analogue combat and zombie deformation looks freakin awesome. :D

Looks like I'm gonna have to whip out the 360 pad for PC.

4. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    This may be the first FPS I purposefully play with a controller.
    Fare thee well, mouse/keyboard combo, you've served me well, BUT I NEED TO CHOP OFF SOME LIMBS, SO KTHXBYE.

5. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    This video has me slightly interested. The combat looked really mundane at first, but after watching the breaking of limbs and such, kind of interested. Can you select your character or are you locked into one certain character?

6. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    There's four to choose from, each with their own weapon specialization; blunt, edged, firearms and thrown.

7. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    All I do is kick. Zombie comes at me, kick it to knock it down, then just keep kicking it while it's down until I get my XP. For some reason repeatedly pressing LB feels less redundant than repeatedly pressing RT. Might have to try Analog controls.

Sucks that the least interesting character out of them all has the most useful specialty (at least it seems that way). I wanted to play as the has-been football player, not the has-been rapper. :(

8. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Watch the video Zac posted. The guy makes a great case for Analog controls; says it's awesome.

I'm waiting on this. Waiting for a sale, a coupon or just more money to come my way. Can't see buying it right now.

9. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Analog controls do feel better than just using RT, but I still prefer the kick method (doesn't use up stamina). I also love swimming pools now. There's something very rewarding about kicking a zombie under water and watching it drown.

I think my biggest complaint about the game right now is how fast your weapons deteriorate. It makes sense for a wooden paddle or broomstick, but why is my heavy pipe or crowbar only good for a few zombie kills? Strong metal objects deteriorate at the same rate as wooden weapons, which is a little irritating. Thank God my shoe is invincible.

10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
  11. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I despise this game's save system (or lack thereof). It auto-saves in random spots, so if I'm done playing I basically have to run around killing zombies for a few minutes until the little icon in the corner pops up. How hard is it to implement a manual save system these days?

12. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    This game is really good fun - let's concentrate on that, instead of political issues raised by redundant code that may or may not be the result of a really bad taste joke on behalf of one of the devs.
    My experience of the game so far is good. Been playing as the shooty lady, and am surprised how the only gun I've seen is the one she uses in her rage state. Am hoping that when I find one, the game will get a bit more in depth.

13. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Apparently the guns come towards the end of the game, and it's mainly melee until then..

For games like this, where you're likely to be mobbed by slow moving enemies, it'd be useful to be able to look without turning. Like, maybe take a swing with your axe and have a peek over your shoulder to see what's coming from other angles. This could be based on R3 or something.

14. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    I managed to find a pistol with one bullet, and ended up using it to kill myself while trying to throw things at an exploding barrel - not realizing that with guns, throw = fire. Erk. Really good fun though - the analogue control mode is an absolute blessing, think it'd be AMAZING if someone cobbled together some Wii controls for it, or maybe just worked out a way to get the mouse to do something similar.

15. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Co-op in this game is an absolute blast. Single player makes it a fairly weak affair, but co-op totally makes the game worthwhile. It's also extremely difficult without a friend (or three) there to help you out.

Now if only Techland can fix the issue with joining public games (which is impossible to do unless you get lucky).

16. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2011
    At the current moment what would you rate this game. An from what i've read so far its seems like a pretty good game.

17. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    So is this like Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead?? Or is it something completely different?

18. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Feels more like Fallout 3, or Far Cry 2. The only thing it has in common with other zombie games is... zombies.

19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    With co-op: 9/10. Without co-op: 3/10. Multiplayer makes Dead Island. If you buy it, make sure a friend has it too.

It's Borderlands, but with melee weapons instead of guns.

20. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2011
    Ight kewl i like the boarderlands idea behind it

21. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004

Yeah, doesn't sound like my kind of thing.

22. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I finished the campaign tonight with a four-man crew. Loved every minute of it. Started a New Game + with my Sam B at level 33. I'm surprised the zombies don't scale with you in the NG. Most are at level 2 so all it takes is a couple kicks to kill em. Hopefully I'll be able to get enough XP to get to level 50.

23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So how does this game's story play out? I would imagine that if you were one of a few individuals who were immune to the zombie plague, it'd be pretty much up to you to kill every last zombie on the island before someone else shows up to investigate.

24. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    You eventually escape in a helicopter, but I think there's a twist in there somewhere. I honestly don't remember the specifics.

25. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    My fiancee just bought this game for us (apparently Target is having a sale--buy 2 games get a third for free).

I was disinterested after the reviews all suggested that it was Morrowind with L4D zombies, and none of L4D's epic coop/multiplayer modes.

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm reluctant to let her know that I might not like it. She probably got it thinking that L4D was such a hit for me and my friends without realizing that they're two different creatures.