main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[PS3] God of War III

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Gotcha!

I was moving it and looking up there.
    Idiot.:p

2. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    This game is highly addicting. Playing it on Hard gives me a nice challenge.

The music, let me just say, oh the music. It's fantastic.

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    So after reading and hearing how good the previous games are in all the GOW III reviews, I broke down and bought the GOW Collection. So now I'm playing through GOW for the first time, in glorious HD and 60 fps. :D

I plan to play through the first two before jumping into three, the overall story looks quite interesting.

4. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I did it backwards.
    Ran through GoW III and just purchased the collection.
    This afternoon will be spent mashing buttons on I and II.

5. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    The story is what you'd expect from a greek tragedy (at least I think, I'm not very versed in that type of stuff). It's very Greek (though I guess you'd expect something like that considering the game).

6. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Chaos-mode in the combat arena in insane.

7. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Well, I'm stuck. I decided to put the game down for awhile.

I'm playing on Titan (or hard) on my first play through, and I've just finished the Labyrinth with Pandora and plummeted back into Hades. When I land, I'm met by a large Cerberus, who spits out little exploding baby Cerberus. That wouldn't be so bad in and of itself. But add to it that when I cut off one of it's heads, a Satyr appears. Those things are tough enough alone, but add to it a flaming dog with exploding dogs and it's just annoying.

I've probably tried (and died) about 40 times. I get to the point where I've beaten the Cerberus completely, but am left with so little health (from the cheap shots by the Satyrs) that when I turn my attention to them, they just pick me off.
    I've also tried taking out the Satyrs before Cerberus and that doesn't work too well; leaving the big doggie unchecked leads to lots of exploding dogs and raining flames.

Ugh. [face_frustrated]

8. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    There's your problem, masochist. :p

9. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    My gameplan for where you're at is to constantly kick the dogs the Cerberus spawns back at it so they explode on the Cerberus. Continue that constantly for the first head, remember to get in shots when you can. Second phase I just spammed Army of Sparta until my magic ran out then kicked the dogs at the Cerberus/pounded on him until the third phase (by the time you run out of magic (if you have a full magic meter) the Cerberus should be on his heels before you can cut off the second head). For the third head I just used Spartan's rage (the R3 + L3 powerup) and pounded on the dog, you're nigh invincible when you have Rage on. If you don't get the circle when you run out of that, remember to block and roll when the Satyr's come into your area and just hit the Cerberus until you kill it (he drops health orbs, maybe until you get full health IIRC).

For the last two Satyrs, the last weapon's triangle attack (it knocks them up in the air better than the Blades of Exile) is their weakness. Just keep trying to get them up in the air and spam on the triangle attack.

Probably could write it out a bit better, but that's what I did when I beat that part on my run trough Titan.

Question: What have you upgraded? If you've done the Blades of Exile all the way, then I suggest that. An alternate strategy for the Satyrs is to have Claws of Hades up to Level 3 so you can summon the Gorgon Spirit. Stone the Satyrs and break them. You can't stone the Cerberus though.

10. Vassago

Vassago Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    Hmm, sounds like it could work. I find that if I focus all my attacks of the Satyr, he is done with quickly, but once I cut off the second head, two more pop up; I only had this happen once so maybe it was a hiccup in the game?

As for upgrades, my Blades of Exile are max'd. My Cestus is max'd (this is what I've been using mostly, since it doles out a helluva lot of damage. My claws of Hades are level 3 (could up them to 4) and my Electric Fans of Death (dunno what those are called) are still base-level, but I'm sitting on about 30,000 red orbs, so I can upgrade them completely, if need be.

I find blocking and following up with Triangle puts the Satyrs in the air, which is helpful but they just block so damn much.

Also, you said you kick the dogs back? Whenever I went to grab them they exploded on me. Can you actually kick them back? That would be helpful...

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I was just about to say that...

12. Vassago

Vassago Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    No, no. I like a good challenge. I don't like beating a game in one sitting. God of War is a game that would take very little time to beat if played on a low difficulty. I thought I'd ramp it up a bit.

Also, I had no idea the Gorgon spirit/soul could turn enemies to stone. That may be my key...

13. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    You got to grab the dogs like practically right after they get out of the mouth, or they are still running around. If they stop then they're going to explode.

The first triangle attack with the electric fans of death is a launcher, and the Satyr's are also helpless in the air (guessing you already knew this). You can also after defeating the Cerberus just grab the Satyrs for a QTE (mash O), something like 3 times and you'll kill them.

Really there's only a couple of places that really gave me trouble on Titan. It's challenging in that it'll make you work to beat the game, it isn't challenging enough that you want to throw your controller through your TV.

14. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Yes. I was getting very frustrated, but I combine my strategy with yours and beat it.

Used the Cestus gauntlets to smash the Cerberus up, and used the Gorgon Soul to turn the Satyrs to stone and smash them easily. Beat it and am happily moving on. [face_peace] Thanks for your help, man.

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The god-armor in GoWII is pretty sweet.
    Wish it was in the new game.

16. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    Might end up being part of the DLC (at least all of the skins, disappointed how you don't receive any skins outside of fear Kratos when you beat the game regardless of the difficulty you play on). There's also the rumor that they're going to release that might've been the original ending fight (involved more set pieces and more fights with Zeus than we got), something that they didn't have enough time to put in before their deadline. I've heard that when Gaia first comes up, she talks to Kratos and Zeus, then knocks the place where they are on off it's perch and you fight Zeus as you're sliding down Mt. Olympus (don't know how much I believe that though). Probably there was only going to be something like a complete 3 way fight with Gaia and Zeus instead of just jumping in Gaia's body and taking out her heart.

17. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    More fights with Zeus? That final one was a bit of a pain, what with having almost no checkpoints. Sure being able to grab orb from the heart was a plus, but it still got a bit annoying.

I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. I didn't hate it, I'm just not sure what the can do from here...

Also, kind of a downer, you can't use any of the items without disabling Trophies? I was looking forward to playing through again with all these items turned on to do a "Trophy" run. Seems kind of stupid...meh.

18. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    You can get every trophy on easy (except the one you get for beating Titan), so it's not like they're hard to get. In fact I got everyone besides the numbered ones (Torch 100, Blind, and kick) without really trying. I knew what they were, I just wasn't actively trying to get it.

19. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Hitman looks a bit annoying/impossible. No? :p

I should give it a go on Easy, would probably laugh at how simple it is in comparison to Titan. Also, the challenges, thus far, seem rather tedious. Then again they are challenges!

20. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    There are a couple places you can get hitman. I got it right after you knock Gaia off Olympus at the door where you first see the Legionaires (where the beginning of the demo was, in the game you have to kill a set number of Legionaires to open the door). Pull out the Hade's Claws and use the L1+O attack over and over, move back towards where you dropped in to choke the guys into a smaller space so you don't have anyone sneaking up on you. Another place is right after you open the Gate right before Kronos, spawn the first two sets of enemies and go back to the door to choke them again. There's videos on the web now that has exactly how to do it.

Go to nextgenwalkthroughs.com and they have videos for every hard part/trophy. Just go to the main God of War 3 page and it's right there at the bottom.

21. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    I just rented it and beat it...

That ending...I dunno. It's quite sad--kinda makes everything before seem pointless.

22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Playin them out of order.
    Beat 3, just finished number 2...

I dunno; two seemed a bit longer... the challenges are harder.
    But the graphics and engine in 3 are as top-notch as I've ever seen.

The first game looks like crayon-art on the PS3.

23. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    So I wonder if Kratos had a serious 'oops' moment when he realized it was his fault the gods went all crazy after he opened Pandora's Box the first time :p

Also... Does anyone else think its' extremely creepy that the sex minigame is with Aphrodite? I mean, isn't she like his sister.... [face_sick]

And I miss the Cod of War skin! :(

24. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    considering what aprhodite is... no. not really.

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Aye-tch to the izzo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.