main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[PS3] Heavy Rain

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    So I'm giving serious thought to making this my next game purchase. Its a game that might actually make me use my PS3 for games again. I've heard its primarily story driven and light on interaction. Any additional opinions aside from reviews would be great before I shell out 60 bucks on the game.

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I'd suggest checking out the demo. It's a good representative slice of the overall game.

3. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    Is the demo relatively spoiler free? I'd hate to play a demo for a plot driven game like this and have it drop me in the middle of things and reveal a ton of stuff I shouldn't have known.

4. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    No, there's no spoilers. The only plot elements you get from the demo are covered by the back of the box anyway, there's no surprises.

5. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I was completely unexcited for this game and relatively uninterested...

...Until I played the demo. Wow, what a ride. I don't think the entire game is going to be full of moments like the bits with Private Detective, but that fight had me on the edge of my seat. It was like...anything could go wrong at any moment and I could be down and out. Very nice.

My interest in the game is high at this point and I may go pick it up.

6. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    Thanks for the advice then. I'm downloading the demo as we speak. I should get a chance to play tomorrow.

7. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Finished it last night. I got a "good" ending even though a couple of characters died.

The game became very passive towards the end. I felt like I was watching more than I was controlling, but there were plenty of twists and turns to keep me glued to the screen.

The characters are the best part though. They're all incredibly fleshed out, and you have to make some of the most difficult choices for them I've ever seen in a game. The kind where you're definitely choosing the lesser of two (or more) evils.

It's definitely worth going back and playing through again, there are many moments where you can drastically change the outcome of a character, and it's something that you realise quite early on in the game, making some scenes especially tense.

So overall, a solid game. It's a game you just have to play, whether you buy it, rent it or steal it. You're missing out otherwise.

8. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    This game makes me almost want to go out and get a PS3 just to give it a whirl.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's gotten some good reviews here in the UK as well. If I had a PS3 I'd probably want to try it.

10. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I've seen some people comparing it to Mass Effect 2, saying it was a better story-telling experience. My impression, from what I've read about the game, is that it's an apples and oranges comparison. Having said that: is that the case, or having enjoyed ME2 to no end can I have a reasonable expection to enjoy Heavy Rain?

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I actually saw some news in passing this morning that there is a shortage of the game here in the UK - stores have been selling out. It's either real popular or not many copies were ordered! :p

12. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Apples to Oranges. There's really no comparison. Not because Heavy Rain is a bad game but because it's, literally, nothing like ME2.

To my knowledge you don't level up or select stats or anything like that in Heavy Rain. But not only is it different in that way, but also from a story telling standpoint. It's a lot different. Heavy Rain plays like a book (a book with some kind of shoddy voice acting in parts, but not all the way around) and it doesn't unfold like ME2; ME2 unfolds like a movie, it's a very cinematic experience. That's not to say that Heavy Rain doesn't look very cinematic, because it does, but there isn't really that feeling that you get when play ME2.
    In Heavy Rain you can hear what your character is thinking, or really just choose to, and that reminds me a lot of a book, as well. The first thing I thought of was one of those "choose your own adventure" books I read when I was a kid.

13. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    It's number one on the UK game charts, so I'd go with real popular. [face_thinking]

14. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I don't have a PS3, but I have a Xbox 360. Should I buy/download a copy of Indigo Prophecy, or will it glitch up like the KotOR games do on the 360?

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I have been waiting for this game for years. Yes, literally. I recall very clearly the demo of it they did before the PS3 came out to show what the system was capable of. I'd been getting worried the game would never materialize but I'm so glad it finally did. Got it on pre-order and now I'm about halfway through (taking my time).

This is 100% my kind of game. As I mentioned in the PS3 thread here, it really reminds me of Shenmue, which is my favorite game of all time. Heavy Rain is... well, it's gotta be up there. I could play this for many more hours than the game probably actually runs, though. That's the only downside.

I am already planning to go back and play the game again, differently. I find the experience to be really engrossing. Personally, I think having to make quick decisions on what to do or say in a situation has much more realistic consequences than having to decide, say, which dude to shoot first. And I mean, in Heavy Rain if you die, you die. So that keeps me on my toes for sure.

This game is definitely living up to all I hoped for it. The problem with a game like this, though, is there's not currently any other game like it out there. So now that's it's successful we have to wait who knows how long for something to follow in its footsteps :(

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Thanks for the feedback Zac.
    The trailer on GoW3 doesn't do it the same justice as your text.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I finished it about a week ago. I admit to playing the last chapter a couple times and seeing different endings. That wasn't really on purpose. I just had a character that kept dying due to my ineptitude that I really wanted to live. I definitely want to begin playing again, but I've been busy with school work crunchtime stuff.

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Anyone bought the first Chronicle episode? I'm downloading as I type!

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I pre-ordered the game so I got the first Chronicle episode for free. I've downloaded it but haven't played it yet. Since I'm not sure when the next one will be available, I'm hesitant to blow through it because I already blew through the main game so quickly. I want it to last forever.

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    It's about the same length as one chapter in the main game. It was over a lot sooner than I expected, but it has several way to play it, so overall I think it was worth it.

21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    i've played the demo, which I thought was good, so I might try out the full game sometime.

22. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I finally picked this game up and have just finished my first run through (in which I had the goal of doing everything 'right' - everybody lived and I got the Hero trophy.)

What a draining experience. Some of the 'trials' were brutal. One of the most unique experiences I've had in games, and far better than Fahrenheit. Now I want to play it again with the goal of doing everything 'wrong'. But I'm not sure I'm up for it just yet.

23. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    If you buy the PlayStation Move-enabled version of the game, do you HAVE to play it with Move? Lately, I've only seen the Move-version on store shelves.

24. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    You do not need Move to play it...you just have to go into settings after booting it up and make sure to deselect the move controls. I bought a non-move version used, but didn't play it until after I downloaded the update for Move, and that's what I had to do.

25. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Okay, thanks. :)